Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-01-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
My question goes out to mechanics or anybody else that has gotten adventurous with taking them apart. These boats suck in my opinion to take apart. I am doing a complete stereo overhaul on a 2008 Nautique 230 and in keeping with my tradition of taking the boat down to bare minimum I am finding myself struggling with the christmas trees that Nautique uses now for panel attachment. I dont think one has come out salvagable. I think I will be buying a sh*t load of these things when I go to put the boat back together. My question I guess is anyone else having problems with this, and if not what are you doing differently then I am?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-01-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
YES!!! I was about to make a post on this actually last night. I have an 86 ski nautique 2001 and my side panneling wont stay snug. All my little plastic "christmas trees" are in one piece for the most part but the gelcoat has chipped out that they went into. Ive known about the problem since I got the boat 4.5 seasons ago but I it is starting to get worse. The other issue for me is that if I want to replace the plastic piece I have to take the upholstery apart.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-01-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
They actually use those things to hold stuff together on their boats. That seems pretty shotty. Kevin. If the only option you have is to replace them I would just replace with bolts.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-01-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
The panels use to be(2006 and years before) held in place with something like a t nut bolt, washer and nut. But not anymore. This sucks for people like me that are anal and like to take things apart to clean them. Maybe someone can chime in with some good technical info on getting these things out allittle cleaner then they are coming out. PLEASE HELP!!!! LOL! Im going to pull my hair out tomorrow if nobody helps out.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-01-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
My shop handles quite a bit of correct craft boats. I just use the 3 piece panel tool kit from snap-on and never break them, yea they are a pain in the butt but not too difficult with the right tools.

I strip all the boats down just like yourself to make things easier.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-02-2009, 12:55 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-02-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
I have dealt with pulling these out on a Nautique and I think the holes for them are under sized to make them hold better in the marine application.They seem damn near impossible to remove without breaking them.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
You had me worried there for a minute.I just bought a 08 210 and I thought there was a problem. I'm relieved that this is the big problem Nautique has. If I need to take it apart I will have to buy some new push pins. I have dealt with them on autos for 30 years.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-02-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I modified the fuel fill on my 236, and it would have been so much easier to get to if I could have pulled off the side panel, but like you found it was held in with thoes push pins. I really didnt want to break anything, so I just struggeled with it. I'd like to see a picture of one taken apart so i can see everything.

do you get replacements from the nautique dealer?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-02-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
I really want to use bolts but in the location they are at, you cant get to the back side to put a nut on them. I believe the previous owner tried to get them out and busted the gel coat doing so making the holes too big. I found a bunch of horrible work that had been done to the boat that was obvious it wasn't Nautiques doing. Due to the other threads that have been posted showing Nautiques totally stripped down, I went ahead and did this for cleaning purposes for this season. I would definately recommend it on a used boat, as I have found a bunch of stuff that needed to be replaced.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have a panel puller but it was at my house yesterday, I felt like nothing would ever help that situation.

Ryan- I called you yesterday to check in, but no answer, are you coming to BUMP again this year?
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-02-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
go back to work clay! i had a panel puller... and it was down the street... should have called.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
Ahhhh Richard you're just mad cause I didnt come drink a beer with you last night!!!!
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-02-2009, 11:16 PM Reply   
How is the nautique coming?

Extremely slammed in the shop right now, shoot me an e mail with your number and ill call you tomorrow.

chucktronics@mac.com
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Email Sent.