Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
OK guys looking for a new truck for myself. I have been looking but nothing is catching the eye. I would like a 03-06 Chevy 1500-2500 4x4 or Z71 if anyone is selling please let me know. I can get it shipped so not worried about the location. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-13-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
I sell trucks. I live in california and can get you a clean used truck from my state. Let me know what engine you want and if you want a crew or extra cab?
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       03-13-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
Definitely go with the 2007 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel Crew Cab. It's got 365 hp with 660 ft lbs. of torque.
Whereas the Ford diesel has 325 hp with 570 ft. lbs. of torque.
We were a "ford family" and when looking at trucks we were going to buy the Ford without question. Anyway, we test drove it and I was surprised at how sluggish it seemed. When I floored the gas, the truck just didn't respond like I wanted it to. So for kicks, we went and test drove the Chevy and I was blown away by the difference in power. When I floored the pedal, the truck practically jumped. It put a big smile on my face. Anyway, as big as that truck is, it gets where I want it to go and gets there fast. The truck also tows like you wouldn't believe. I put it in cruise control at 70 mph and let it go up a pretty big grade, no problem. Didn't even downshift once. Needless to say, we bought the Chevy.
Happy truck hunting!
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
I know this isn't a Chevy, but I'm close by and looking to deal...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=217104884&dealer_id=59491545&car_ye ar=2004&model=&num_records=&make2=&start_year=1981 &keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body _code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=10&make=DO DGE&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDES C&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&ad dress=27537&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=&transmi ssion=&max_price=&cardist=0
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-13-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
Definately get a crewcab 4x4 and at least a 1/2 ton truck. Any of the big V-8 gassers will haul your boat pretty well.

If you have to go longer distances (100 miles or so) and do alot of hills or mountain passes, then the diesel would be worth looking into for the extra power and safety.

Crew cab 4x4 is awesome for 5 people, gear, and slippery/steep boat ramps. Gas engine if it's gonna be your daily driver around town vehicle and you are not towing all over the place.

I'd test drive the Ford/Dodge/Chevy before you buy in any case. The Heavy Duty trucks will afford you more safety overall with the larger capacities, bigger brakes, etc. Diesel is pretty dang fun though, I look forward to hauling up long grades and passing people. I own a Ford F250 but I like the GMC and Dodge diesels as well. Just make sure your dealer sells alot of diesels and has a good service department that can handle them, they are much different than a gas engine.

My F250 is very quick off the start, there is only about a half second of turbo lag. When empty, it will push you back in the seat. Way more truck than I need to get the job done, but styling out with power and good economy was worth the upgrade to the diesel. For me anyway.
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 crew cab Z71 I bought in June of last year. It has around 14,000 miles on it and is pretty much fully loaded. We might can work something out. I'm trying to go back to school and really don't need that much truck. It pulls my Sanger V-210 (which I also need to sale )very well. If interested let me know.
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-14-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. Jeremy do you have any pics of the truck? I won't be hauling long distances so I think the 1500 will be ok, I was really looking for something all jacked up on mountain dew(lifted and a few customized options as well) it seems that there are not many out there though. Hey Monkey I don't know much about the Dodges
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-14-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hey Chris, you can buy a stock truck and add a reasonable lift 4"-7" for a grand or so, add some nice rims for another grand, and some 35" big tires for yet another grand. You might have to have your drivetrain modified and the rear geared for bigger tires, but that's about it. Maybe look for a nice low mileage used one like Jeremy's and pick out your own modifications.

Check around on some Chevy truck forums for ideas on lifts, tire sizes that will clear, etc. There may even be a shop in your area that can take care of all the mods for you. On days when it's too cold to ride or you can't find a third, you can go muddin!! Look into some manual locking hubs too.

I toyed with the idea of lifting my F250 4" and getting big tires on it. I was just hesitant because I haul long distance and the truck is awesome on the highway and I don't offroad too much. I just upgraded the tires and will add a better set of shocks in 10k miles.
Old     (truckguy89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-14-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
I've got a 02 Chevy 1500 hd crew cab for sale. ITs only a 2 wheel drive but very capable. Its got a 4 in lift on 18 in. rims and 33 in. tires. Fully off- road capable. Bull- Bar, Side steps, off-road lights. Custom sound system, exhaust, cold air intake, power programmer. Awesome tow vehicle or daily driver. Willing to deal...
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-14-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Good point flux, I am running into trouble finding a decent stock truck with low miles on it though. Most are running with 70 or 80 thousand miles!! Its killing me. I will find one soon though. /.
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
I don't have any pics of the truck right now but I can get you some, but it will be the first of next week when I can get my girlfriends camera. It is black and has tan leather interior. The reason my truck has so few miles on it is because I broke my ankle not longer after I got it and I couldn't drive for about 3 months.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-14-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
Don't forget to get something certified this way you will have the extra warranty. I could sell you a loaded 05 1500 crew, 25500 miles if your interested let me know only 4-5 hours from Lake Norman and yes it is stock.

Super clean truck no dings, leather, dvd, xm...blah, blah, blah

(Message edited by johnsvt on March 14, 2007)
Old     (supraz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-14-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
I would look for a good stock truck (new or used) and lift it myself. This way you have a better idea of what has been done to the truck. The last thing anyone needs a new truck with a bad tranny, brakes or motor because of running big tires pulling heavy trailers while on a box of some sort. Something to think about.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
Yeah what Sean said, but if you find one with a clean RCD or ProComp lift I would not blink...
Old     (lknbum)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2007, 4:47 AM Reply   
Ewing, do you have a site i can check it out on? You guys are 100 % correct on the stock thing and the only time I would get a "done up" Truck would be the one Chevy offers with the American Luxury Coach package on it. I know they do it right.