Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (eastbayrider)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
My son is getting better at riding. He heard that when he starts riding better that he should get a bigger fin.
He rides a CWB Transend 138 the fins are 3/4 inch he is about 150lbs. I've tried to tell him that you have a good set-up. We could up grade his boots, he's riding with LF Sphynx.
Can anyone help with this?
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-20-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
When you start riding better, you should remove the fins. It helps with edging fundamentals. The transend is a sweet board!
Old     (eastbayrider)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
That's what I told him. But I'm self taught and don't know how to help him. He has no fear and wants to get better. Me,... I just want to ride.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-20-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
Yeah...go smaller. Or just lose them.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-20-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
no fins
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
i ride with no fins on the rear and two 1 inchers on the front,

its great for when im edging switch and has a great release on spins.

also allows me to land sketchier stuff
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-20-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Big fins mask errors in riding style.

Fins can help if you use them correctly. Used incorrectly they lead to bad habits that will hinder his progress later.

Basically, the fin will help hold the board straight, as long as the fin is in the water. As soon as he starts getting air the fin no longer is in the water. If he was relying on the fin when it clears the water his board is going to twist on him. Note that is probably more of a toe side issue than heel.

If you want to learn edging control, ride a board with no fins at all (like a Roam.....)

Rod
Old     (eastbayrider)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks all for your input. I have coached my son in the past, of course I don't know anything. We ride the Delta and launch out of Orwood, If anyone needs a pull hit us up. We have an 04 Ski Sanger sacked out.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-28-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
no fins, it might be weird at first but when you learn the tech. of eddgeing its alot better
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2007, 12:27 AM Reply   
michael if you ever need a third lemme know im in livermore. i could help you out with your son also if he wants to talk to a younger rider. i have been riding all my boards finless since bout 2 weeks after i got my own board
Old     (bigwaken2009)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-29-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
i pulled my fins off yesterday and rode today...LOVEE ITT
Old     (eastbayrider)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-30-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
Charley " C " sounds great, I'm on Vacation til the end of July. We are always looking for a third, forth, fifth,.... and so on. It would be nice for him to ride with someone his age so he can have someone to keep up with.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-01-2007, 12:35 AM Reply   
im 18 but still act like a kid and understand whats running through his head on the whole oo someone told me this it must be true because there not my dad etc. how olds your son?

i noticed your a firefighter/paramedic do you happen to know jim martinez?

(Message edited by wakeeater on July 01, 2007)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-01-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Trancend is a great board, not at all my style (Slow, 3-stage, heavy) but Andrew Adkinson wouldn't ride it if it wasn't top notch. As for the Sphynx, not at all my style again (too loose, no support where I like it) but they are great high end bindings as well. They were Shane's pro model.

Basically you've set him up with a great setup ALOT of people would be proud of.
Old     (eastbayrider)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Jim Martinez? Where does he work? I work in Oakland.
We try to get out when everyone else is at work, usually during the week. I hate the weekend traffic out there.

Hey Paul thanks for the comment. We have like five boards ranging from HIGH END to MEDIUM. He also rides my board. I have the CWB Tattoo with LF Transit. I'm not that good. Self taught most of the time my son and I are the best riders on the boat. We would like to have some more experienced riders ride with us so we can watch someone else ride and pick-up some tips.