Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've been told you can remove painted-on boat registration numbers by using EasyOff oven cleaner. Can anyone confirm this, and add any more details/suggestions?

Thanks!
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-21-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
yes you can use it just do a little at a time, after words use a good polish and wax. What ever you do don't use napas paint and decal remover, they said it would be ok to use on the gel coat but it left streaks on my bosses boat. He was happy it was on his boat and not a customers.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-21-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Wouldn't a laquer sp? thinner be safer? Something that flash dries and leaves no residue. Check in with a paint supplies store. They should have something that is safe for the gel coat.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       07-22-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Brian and Peter, thanks for the comments.

I called the local Mastercraft dealer and talked with the owner - he said the best and safest way to remove painted boat numbers is to use acetone. Rub some on with a rag, let it sit a few minutes, and wipe it off. Will not hurt the gelcoat at all. Just don't get any on decals as the acetone will dissolve them immediately.

Just an FYI if anyone else ever needs this info .
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Acetone is good if it works. I found that Acetone is not strong enough to remove the numbers in most cases. I would use a 1500 grit wet sand. It will remove the numbers. After the wet sand you will need to use a rubbing compound on the area sanded, then a color restorer type of polish, then a good wax to finish. I have done this a few times and it works very well every time. Just know it is not a fast process, it can take a few hours on each side depending upon the thickness of the paint and how long the paint has been on the boat.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       07-24-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Coach. I'll try the Acetone first and hope that does it. Sounds much easier than sanding, polishing, waxing! But if the Acetone doesn't work, thanks much for the best way to do it.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-24-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
Who's boat are you stealing? Why do you need to take the reg #'s off? j/k
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-25-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
I don't know if I would use easy off. I sprayed it on the top (white part of my stove) and it left some bubble marks on it and faded the paint. Not sure what I was thinking that day.