Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Does anyone have an opinion on the best type of bindings for women? Are the pixie bindings by hyperlite any good? I'm in the market but have no idea what I should be looking at :-)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
Minx by Liquid Force
Era by Hyperlite
Ultra by Liquid Force
Old    jesiday            10-06-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
Melissa,
It kind of depends on how you ride. I ride the Byerly's by Hyperlite, and I love them. I also like to ride a little forward, so they are great for me. Tim likes to ride not-so-forward and he rides the Temets...which he LOVES. I would say head up to the shop and try something on. Go with what's comfortable!
-jesi
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Jesi,

Yeah I definitely need to get to a shop and try some on, it's just somewhat hard since there aren't many close to me. I guess I'll just have to go to one on the weekends :-)

Thanks Paul, will definitely check out the minx...although I have liquid force ones right now (my hubby's old ones) and I don't like them at all, but I guess I should give LF another chance :-)

-Melissa
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
New Liquid Force is VERY different then the old stuff.. Any the three I mentioned above I only said because one is for girls only, one is for a narrow foot, and the last one is just a classic that I see alot of girls ride (I ride them myself). But, as Jessica said, you just need to go into a shop and put ALL the bindings on your feet and stand in them while really letting your foot put pressure down on the binding. You DON'T have to have a girls specific binding.. but if you do want that I really only recommend the Minx bindings. Give us some more imput on exactly what your looking for in a binding so we can better help you find what your looking for. Things such as but not limited too; laces or no laces, buckels, straps, brand name, forward lean or not, stiff, flexible... whatever...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-06-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
You gotta check the new CWB Deuce for the ladies. They are probably the most comfy boots in the world. Check it!!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
I'm not familar with the new CWB so Big Heavy could be right.
Old    jesiday            10-06-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Melissa,

You've got mail.

-jesi
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
just curious..... what kind of LF bindings does your other half have? Year would help if you know..

& Jessi, giveing info and not sharing with the rest of us? Shame on you!! Kidding!!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
lets see...mine right now I think are the ultra sucks :-) Okay ultrasucts...I think. Clear wraps with lime green and gray foam if that helps. My hubby doesn't really know when he bought them but it has to be around 2000.

The reasons I don't like them are they are extremely hard to get into, they put pressure on my feet in a weird spot (the top of my back riding foot and shin are red for almost the entire morning while we ride...even after I take them off...maybe that is normal?) and if I just throw the board into the bag and the bindings bend forward, they kill the front of my ankles putting pressure on them in a funny way (hitting that top bone of your foot where your foot attaches to your leg if that makes sense).

They are the only bindings I've ever had so I don't really have anything to compare to, maybe all of these issues happen with all other bindings?

I think laces would be nice (my hubby has parks lace up bindings and he loves them), but just as long as I can easily get in them and they don't pop off easily, i'm happy.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
alright..... no middle of the rode to higher end binding will feel like the ones youve been on... in fact the new ultras are almost as comfortable as you can get. I would say if your just trying to get above those anything will feel amazing to you.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
hahaha okay, you've convinced me I need to buy new bindings. I'll be off to the store to try some on as soon as I can stop working! :-) Thanks for all the help!!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
I would for shure check out the cwb line for the Ladies they have the new Torq Hinge Tech they are by far the easyest to get into since they open on a hinge and the most comfy along with the Deuce for the Ladies as well.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-06-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
i second that jeff, by far the most comfy bindings for sure.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-06-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
im a cwb man myself, but a lot of women do like the hyperlite eras.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-06-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
I bought the Pixie bindings for my wife. They are good for a starter binding but they are too adjustable to for serious boarders.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
Anyone riding the vargas binding by hyperlite?
Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Hey Melissa,
I was in your place, shopping for new bindings, a couple months ago. I know that women's bindings fit differently than men's bindings (alot of men's bindings come up higher on our shins). I tried on the pixie's but found them too high and less supportive. I purchased the 2005 liquid force minx and love them. They are very comfortable and easy to get on and off. Good luck!!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-06-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
Just a thought here Melissa...My chick rides the Minx and loves them but if you aren't busy Saturday you should come out to Carlsbad Lagoon and try a pair on wether it be HL or LF again just a thought
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
I totally should, I have a ton of family stuff to do that day but I'll try to get out there. Thanks for thinking of it :-)
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
Melissa - I've heard nothing but great things about the Minx bindings. I'm in the market for my first set of bindings too, so let me know what you ended up with.
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
the new cwb duce in ladies is white pink and babie blue and the new hinge technology torq's from cwb are sick there black white and pink
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-06-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Getting a pair of CWB Torqs in pink for my wife.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Melissa - Thanks! I'm slow too so I probably won't end up with anything in the near future.. unless someone gets on my back for some winter riding!

CWB is going out of business?
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Elizabeth, I'll definitely let you know what I end up with although I'm sure it will take me awhile to buy a pair (I'm kind of a slow shopper :-)).

I will for sure look into the CWBs.

-Melissa
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
No I'm retarded. My husband just told me that but he meant double-up and blindside. my bad.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Oh, hahaha.. I was confused for a minute.
:-)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-06-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
Melissa,

Randy beat me to it, but I was going to try AGAIN to get you to the lagoon Saturday with us. Great opportunity to try out different stuff. My GF has the 04 Minx. Very nice (05's are nicer though). Another of my crew (Aimee) just picked up 05 Transit LE's. Loves them! I have 04 and 05 Transits. SUPER comfortable. I really think you would like the Transits or Minx much more than the Pixies or Vargas, but just my opinion. Sure you can't make it? If not, maybe you can get out with us next week and possibly try the Transits.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-06-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Umm... Chea!
If my wife wakeboarded, and didn't leave me four years ago, I would get her these.

Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Alright Buzz, I've finally worked it out to go to the lagoon Saturday. I'll be there from start at 10 to around 1-ish (as long as I figure out how to get there and where to park). Hopefully I can try some additional bindings on then.

Okay, update: Went today and tried on the LF Elements (womens): only size they had was too small so i'll have to try again with a different size and LF Minx: Right size but the top part of the binding was cutting into the top of my foot...it hurt just standing there.

Is this a common thing or am I just being a wuss? Just standing there made my foot all red...I don't understand it.

Has anyone else had this problem???
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-06-2005, 11:53 PM Reply   
Melissa,

Very cool! You have mail!
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       10-07-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
Melissa,
I've been shopping around for women's binding for the last month or so as well. Tried quite a few brands, including the LF Minx two different times. The Minx cut into the top of my feet as well - very uncomfortable I thought. I ended up going with the '05 LF Elements. I love them!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
wow the Minx hurt your foot?! I wouldn't say your a wuss... I didn't think any of those top 3 or so LF bindings could hurt a fly. Regardless of how I may feel about the bindings they don't seem like they are right for you... keep shopping!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-07-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
Iam telling you before you buy any bindings wait for the 06 CWB torqs for the gals if you dont you will regret it all next season. No other wakeboard company has anything like them trust me they are so easy to get into you wont believe it and the support is great and they are so cumfy.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Do they have the problem of bending over and making a crease in the top of the binding? That is what pushes the top of my foot and hurts...I was thinking I have to try some with a pre-molded binding to avoid that problem...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-07-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
Melissa no they dont at all they are real cumfy my rep came in awhile ago with all the bindings and all the girls went crazy over how easy they were to get in and how cumfy they were, they are not in all the shops yet Iam getting mine in this month so you might have a hard time finding them right now but it will be worth the wait. Thanks Melissa, Jeff. But I do recommend trying on as many as possible to see what you like iam shure it will be the CWB Torqs with the Hinge tech.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Thanks for all the advice, another question though: In your shop, how do you have people try on bindings since they are pretty hard to get into with dry feet?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
binding lube
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Paul, they actually let you use that? haha the shop I went to made me put a sock on and try to get my foot in there...but needless to say, didn't really care for the shop.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
that sucks.... i'm fortunate to live in Florida and even better then that do all my buisness at Performance/OWC.... they know better then to think that people can try on bindings without actually using lube and putting them on! Best bet would be vacation to Orlando, go ride OWC, and ride whatever board/bindings you want!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
haha Paul, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I have to say, that is a pretty expensive way to try on bindings
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
hey just lookin out for a sista!! haha... OWC is fun for sure though! Tell the shop to take the stick out of their a$$ and that they dont know what they are talking about if they expect you to use a sock... they NEED to have demo bindings out! If not sneak it... $300 is alot to pay for something you cant try on!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-07-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
Melissa, I carry all the bindings in demos as well so my customers can take them out on the lake and ride them as well as try them on to make shure they feal well on the water as well as in the shop. But to be honest with you on the new CWB Torq hinge tech they open up so you can put them on with no problem at all it dosent matter if they are wet or dry they are easy to get in every time.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
now Mr. Baker is a good man.. even lets you ride them?! Thats looking out for ya!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
That is awesome, I'm going to the lagoon this Saturday where I'm sure people will have demos out, doubt I'll have time to use them on the water that day but will definitely keep it in the back of my mind to ask if that's possible.

Jeff, too bad you are in TX :-) I hear you on the Torqs, unfortunately was kind of hoping to get a good price on the 05 close out stuff...I know I'm cheap.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-07-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
Melissa,

Windex also works great for getting into bindings when your feet are dry. Just squirt your foot and the binding, and *schliiip*, they pop right in (and more importantly, back out). When my feet are dry, lube doesn't really do the trick.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-07-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Melissa, Good luck hope I was some help. I would still check into the 06 Torqs they are reasonalbe they are right around two hundred dollars. A steal for as good as they are. Nice talkin to ya.
Jeff(innov8 action sports)
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
Jeff, thanks...I didn't realize the Torqs were only $200, I was thinking they were going to be more like $300.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
I really like the Torqs and the new Hyperlite Symbol.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
Elizabeth, have you tried them on or you just like the way they look?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
Melissa - I just like the way they look. I will, however, be basing my purchase on more than that.
Old     (cwb12)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-07-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   

Old     (cwb12)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-07-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
this is what I ride. you can't go wrong with the torq's. they are really comfortable and REALLY easy to get into and out. they also look good too!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Kaley, what did you ride before the torq's? did you have any of the same problems like I have such as top of the feet hurting because the bindings bent into them? Just curious, definitely going to try the torq's on once I find a shop with them in stock...
Old     (cwb12)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-08-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
I rode the Boss's before and they are comfortable but were tight on the top of my foot like you were saying. The torq's aren't tight at all and my feet don't hurt after riding.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       10-08-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
I have the LF sphynx... I didn't like the minx because my feet didn't fit them properly! I guess i have big feet for a girl... But yea i love my sphynx!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Ok, I bought bindings today! I know I said I was a slow shopper but I couldn't pass up this deal. I got the '04 LF Minx. They were the only ones that fit me right and didn't hurt me in any spots.

To the other girls who said the bindings hurt the top of their foot, definitely try a smaller size. The first shop I went to had me try on the L 05' LF minx but I should be wearing a M (I wear a 8.5 in ladies shoes). That made a huge difference although they still rubbed me slightly on the top of the foot, not nearly as bad as before though. The '04's were perfect for me and at a steal since they were demos and old (but I don't care as long as they fit me :-)).

Thanks for all the great advice, although nothing is better than trying them all on :-)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-08-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Awesome Melissa... Now go out and Rock them!