Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
build a private wakeboard lake.

I've spent several weekends at a friend's private ski lake here in so cal. The lake is only a quarter mile long, with only six homes on the property. Each home has it's own boat dock and each owner has their own boat. They also hold competitions there throughout the year to bring in money for the lake. However, because it's a ski lake (only average of 6 ft. deep) the wake that the boats throw are very minimal.
I was talking to my husband, and we thought wouldn't be amazing if we could reproduce
something similar but more suited for wakeboarding (deeper water, sliders, rails, etc.)

This is just an idea, I haven't done any homework or research on land or costs, but I wanted to know if there are any SERIOUS (by this I mean, people who have the funds) people who would love to be apart of something like this.
THis would not be for investment, as much as it would be for those who love the sport.
I would perfer to keep it to 6-8 owners, in order to keep rotation down to a minimum.

I'll be interested to see if what you guys think of this idea.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
Rachel,

Love the idea myself. I've been trying to find out how to get in on the ground floor of such an endeavor. I've seen a couple such facilities / properties and am very interested. I also have many many questions. Can we email each other to discuss?
dave@shannonwilseyphoto.com
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
There have been a couple of articles this year in Water Ski Magazine about building a private lake. Apparently, it is a growing trend. One of the article features a guy who builds lakes all over the country. He has a website with tips for buying land, zoning, etc. If I can find it I will post a link, or maybe somebody has it.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
http://www.feasbylakes.com/
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-29-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
Awesome, thanks Rich.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
dtw, check your email.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-29-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
My family was actually involved with the initial design and concept at Bell Aqua in Sacramento. Lots of things to consider, that lake almost ended three good friendships throughout the build process.

Be careful with water costs, a buddy that has a lake in the valley spends on an average $1200 per month running the well pumps to keep his lake full.

Lakes are like boats, using them tends to be much more fun when you can just use somebody else's.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
Thanks mikeski, much to think about.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-29-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
What kind of $s are we talking about? Am very interested, but need a target to shoot for.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
Mikski, do you know where I can get some info about Bell Aqua?
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
PC, I'm not quite sure what it's going to entail financially as of yet. It's not just going to be land, every owner will have a home on their lot and depending on lot size it could get more expensive. There will be lots of maintenance, upkeep. You gotta really want to do it
Also, it depends on where we decide to purchase the land. That could change price dramatically.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-30-2005, 12:04 AM Reply   
Here is one in my town that's been a work in progress for quite a while. It's still an empty lot.

http://www.esquilago.com
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 1:00 AM Reply   
The esquilago sounds very cool, the only downside is the amount of owners on the lake. With 28 owners, let's say half of them are there on an average week or weekend, you'd only get to ski about every two hours and twenty minutes. And many times, people are skiing, sun up to sundown. At our friend's lake where there is only six owners, max wait time is an hour. But many times, we have the lake all to ourselves and ski and wakeboard till were just too tired.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-30-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Rachel,

Nothing in my email. Try this address that I always have access to:

notsobueno@yahoo.com

Been doing some research...
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Rachel, are you sure your friends lake is only 1/4 mile long - that is pretty short. Did they have a slalom course? It wouldn't leave much room for setting up. Did you get dizzy?

I am helping a friend who is toying with the idea of building a private recreational lake in Texas. Finding the right piece of land is always a challenge. There are a few private lake developments in Texas, but most are shallow and geared to slalom skiers.
Old    talons            08-30-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
LOVE The idea.

I anyone in the greater Seattle region wants to look at doing this please look me up.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
Rich,

The lake is a 1/2 mile long, not 1/4 mile.