Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
I would like to get some information on storing a boat/riding on Firebird Lake in Chandler, AZ. For those of you who ride and keep your boat there, have you had to do any modifications to your boat? I understand the lake is salt water. Is there running water for hosing off your boat/trailer when you bring your boat out?

Also, how nasty is that water? I hear it's pretty salty and has some jet fuel residue from the boat races held there. Does this do any damage to your board and bindings?

Is it worth the money to keep a boat there? It's close to my house and looks like the smoothest water around. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
Get a hold of Steve Hahn, he rides there quite a bit.

hahnsolo2002@yahoo.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-27-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
Firebird can be kinda nasty but the conditions are worth it in my opinion. There is fuel residue in the lake and it is really salty. The boat launch has fresh water to rinse your boat and trailer as well as fresh water showers. I think it's around $3000 a year maybe a bit more for a membership.

If you're trying to progress your skill level, riding in controlled conditions is worth every penny!
Old     (gbgonzal138)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-27-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
You need a freshwater pump for firebird so you can flush out all of the salt water. It is a great lake and you get use to the salt eventually. Keeping your boat clean is the hardest part. It is about $3000 to put your boat there.
Old    wakesyco            06-27-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=8676&cat=500&pagehttp:http:[/url]
Here is some firebird riding
Old    wakesyco            06-27-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
sorry the above post of Joe S. at firebrid is not working.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
All,
Thanks much for the info. From what I can tell, it's the best place to ride and only a few minutes to get there. And since I'm used to riding in the Delta back home, the water can't be any worse!

Steven, I agree about having the best conditions to progress the skill level. That's my main reason for looking at Firebird.

Do you all have the fresh water cooling system installed on your engines? I'm happy to hear there is fresh water to rinse off the trailer & boat! I also understand the water is really shallow - about 4' to 5'. Does this drastically affect the size of the wake? And how bad is the salt water on your boards and bindings? I'm planning on using an older set up anyway, but just curious.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-27-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
Nice Larry! Here are a few from my personal archive!

Old    wakesyco            06-27-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=14530
Hey steve heres some firebird riding that works
I tried to put joesphs up earlier, dont no why it didnt work. by the way nice pics. Steve how you been?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-27-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Steven, Those last shots are sick (the way you caught the reflections). Is that Michael V?
Old    wakesyco            06-27-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff , those shots are from when Micheal
came out and visit us.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-28-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Been good, not riding nearly enough. Just finished the September issue feature story. It came out awesome! When are we going riding?
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
How is the water time worked out at Firebird? Can you have more than one boat on there at a time?
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       07-01-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
Any chance of getting a quick pull from someone who rides at Firebird sometime? I would really like the opportunity to check out the water and the whole deal of keeping a boat there. I am looking to buy an older boat specifically to keep at Firebird, but I would like to ride there first to make sure it's what I'm looking for.

I only need a quick once around or two, and happy to offer up gas money. This would make my boat purchasing decision so much easier! Also looking for anyone that offers lessons there as well.
Old    michaelvinczii            07-02-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
Damn those last pics are sick Hahn... your a bad-ace with a camera in your hands. Looking forward to riding with you guys again this fall, Early September-ish hopefully. Firebird is a great lake to ride at, I enjoyed it completley.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       07-03-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Okay guys....

Gettin' desperate here! $25.00 cash for 1 lap around Firebird just to check out the water/riding, and ask a couple of questions about keeping a boat there. I really need to check it out before I plunk down $3000 for a membership.

Anybody???

stephaneee@cox.net or 480-430-7596 cell
Old    wakesyco            07-05-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
Hey Stephaneee, you should pm Joe S.(gbgonzals138)
he would probally do it for you. good luck
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       07-05-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
Thanks so much Larry! I appreciate the info. I'll give Joe S. a try.