Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-24-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Going up this weekend just wondering what it looks like with the fire's in the aera. I found a website
showing what it looks like as far as the smoke. the photos are a few days old
http://www.lakealmanorcountryclub.org/item_list.asp?subcat=15&subtitle=%3Cb%3ELACC+Views +of+Lake+Almanor++showing+visibility%2Fwildfire+sm oke
Any locals in the aera that know of any fun spots to check out. I plan on being there Sat and Sunday. Going out on a friends X-30
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-24-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Grant-
Hey, we sold our cabin there on the Peninsula last year... I still have some family and friends up in the area. I will make a few calls and see what I can find out for you. I know it was BAD two weeks ago, but I haven't talked to anyone since then. Have a good time up there. There isn't much of a night life if that is what you are looking for. There is a good breakfast place on the water(read: eggs benedict and bloody mary)

I just asked an employee who has parents on the peninsula... "You can't see Dyer, but it doesn't smell like smoke anymore." With the afternoon wind the smoke is drifting in and out throughout the day. Fires are contained for the most part and getting better by the day.

so hopefully that helps
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-24-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I wanted to bring my road bike and go for a morning ride and check the aera out. If its smokey Ill just leave it at home. a friend has rented a place and Ill be staying with them not looking 4 night life outside the house just places to go /see during the day. Any Ideas
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-24-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Just spent a week up there July 5-12. The smoke was pretty heavy then in the afternoons, but the water was butter the whole time. Ive been going there for over 10 years and never had such good water conditions, the smoke scares most away. I dont think it is as bad anymore. The skies were clear in the morning but you could watch the smoke rolling in. I would go back to that in a second for the water conditions we had. Make sure you get out early morning on the weekends. Check out the cove on the west shore, it will be good if there are no power turners around.
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
The fires are close to full containement. Some soke at times but its much better than eariler this month. More current info:
www.chicoer.com
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-24-2008, 10:59 PM Reply   
Here right now, been up here since the 14th for our annual trip. I think we are taking off sunday. The smoke has gotten alot better. It was to the point were you could smell it but now it doesn't bother us at all. If you want good water go towards the far east side north of the dam in the mornings. That west cove is good too but a little far from Big Cove Resort area which is where we are. Afternoons have been blowin out and tends to be more smokey as Seth said. We have been mostly wakesurfing the afternoons. Other then that I have taken probably 4 night rides and they were good just outside Rec 1 on the peninsula before the sun goes down. We are heading out in the morning to ride I will get you some pics up tomorrow afternoon for you.

Good place to eat is Tantardino's on Penisula Dr. also a little more pricey but great food is the bar and grill across the street of it.