Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-20-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
6'2
185 pounds
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
never wake boarded
From doing a bit of research the 2 boards i have more or less narrowed down to are the liquid force trip or the ronix vault. I can get each of them for about $160 (2014 model)
What size board?
Bindings..I know some of the LF trip packages come with the index bindings...how are these?

Getting a new boat so i need to learn to do this!
Thanks guys
Morgan
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-21-2015, 1:31 AM Reply   
The Vault is pretty cool. It is an asymmetrical board, meaning that the heelside and toeside edges of the board are completely different. On the TS edge, it sits deeper in the water when you cut because it's thinner, allowing the fins on that side to get a better bite and give you more control. The heel edge is smoother and the fins are a little further from the edge similar to a regular symmetrical board.

The Trip has been around for forever because "if it ain't broke don't fix it." It's a symmetrical continuous rocker, meaning it'll ride very smooth and consistently, and has the removable center fins on top of the molded outer fins for extra control. It doesn't have the same edge features that the Vault does, but is still very forgiving.

The Divide bindings are more comfortable in my opinion than the Index bindings, however everybody's feet are different and if you're able to try them on I would absolutely recommend that.

Size-wise, the Trip comes in 4cm increments, meaning you could go with a 138, 142, 146. Of those, I'd say you should go with the 142. The Vault comes in 5cm increments meaning 134, 139, 144. There I'd probably go with the 144 unless you plan on cutting 10-15lbs in the near future.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-21-2015, 8:02 AM Reply   
I'd go vault i had the 144 and loved it. i still have it for friends to ride. upgraded to a 146 timebomb
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
Morgan-

Both boards are GREAT to get the ball rolling with. At 185, it's a crap shoot between the 142 Trip, 144 Vault. At 2 centimeters, that's less than a half inch on each end of the board, so for all practical purposes, that's nearly identical.

Both have, by my recollection, a continuous rocker which does a great job for consistent cuts, gliding feel on the water, and smooth pop off the wake. I'd venture to say you're in a pretty good spot with either. To Jordan's point, the Vault asymmetric shape may give you a little more bite on the toeside edge right away due to it's extra features, but you're not at a disadvantage without them.

Cheers to your research as they've led you to two solid boards that are fairly similar - also, they're boards you really won't outgrow unless you want to try something new - they're very good shapes.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-15-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
IMHO I wouldn't go with a complete beginner board. I would get something you can grow into and use for a few seasons. I feel like going with an asymmetrical is a bad decision (mainly for riding progression). I could be wrong, but I would rather go with an intermediate board or even a pro model board and learn proper edging, hitting the wake etc. I'm a hyperlite guy, and my first board was the b-sdie last year and I'm getting the new murray in a few weeks. So I can't speak for either of the boards you are considering just that I would get a board you can grow into. Sure, it'll take a little longer at first (getting up and just staying up). Actually its gonna be hard no matter what board you go with, but a higher end board will net you more progression and not allow you to pick up bad habits

Last edited by wakehero21; 03-15-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: .