Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-28-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   

Old                03-28-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
What are using for an editing app?

I'm curious about being able to mix 16x9 anamorphic SD footage (from a DCR PC330) and HDV footage in the same timeline for export back to the camera.

Playing with PP I'm able to edit SD just fine (in an HDV project) but since I don't have the camera yet I'm curious about how well it handles the export back to tape.

It should be no problem since PP will encode the whole timeline to mpeg2 for export but...issues have been known to crop up in the past.

Congrats.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-28-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Xpress Pro HD. i havent even charged the battery yet, much less shot video. im not sure about mixing content in a timeline. we got this camera to start shooting stock footage. I havent installed my software upgrade yet. I will post more as i begin to work with it.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-28-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Very nice !
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
toolfan, i didn't give you permission to open the box! put my cam back in its original packaging and send it right over!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-28-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
ok toolfan it's been 5 hours since your last post... which has given you plenty of time to charge the battery, shot some footage, install your software upgrade, and throw it into the timeline.

What's you've got for us?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
"I'm curious about being able to mix 16x9 anamorphic SD footage (from a DCR PC330) and HDV footage in the same timeline for export back to the camera.

Playing with PP I'm able to edit SD just fine (in an HDV project) but since I don't have the camera yet I'm curious about how well it handles the export back to tape.

It should be no problem since PP will encode the whole timeline to mpeg2 for export but...issues have been known to crop up in the past. "

Some interesting questions. I would wonder how well anamorphic DV would transcode to HDV mpeg. There are big dollar hardware encoders that can't do SD to HD very well let alone software based apps like Premiere. HDV to DV might be OK. Can you even play back HDV and DV mixed in the same timeline at this point? A lot of questions so hopefully toolfan can let us know how it all works. I'd love to get my hands on about 15 seconds of full frame HDV with lots of motion. Of course you'll only be able to play it back on a computer monitor without the camera itself but i think that will give a good idea of how good it is.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-29-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
ok, im a slacker. my offline suite(the one with Xpress Pro HD) has been taken over with interns that are scrambling for a final project in TV production. we help out the university by letting select interns use our equipment.

I havent even put a tape in the camera yet. has anyone shot with the white-cased sony dv tapes?

anyway, I personally wont be touching HD stuff until i get my Adrenaline HD upgrade after I get back from NAB. Avid is gonna be dropping the bomb at NAB. My sources say they will becoming out with a unity system that will be cheap(by avid standards anyway) and immense(100 terrabytes).

Avid is giving away 8-146gb 10,000 rpm drives with every PC Adrenaline HD. Thats not a bad deal.

About mixing HDV and DV...I dont know. I will research it.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-29-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
I cut this from the avid website:

Better format flexibility. Capture and output native DV25, DV50, and DV100 (DVCPRO HD) media. Mix DV, SD, and HD in the same timeline. Take advantage of ultra-efficient HDV*. Enjoy exceptional, high-quality export flexibility to formats such as WMV HD, MPEG 2, and Flash.

score!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-29-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
<*hdv>

That's from the bottom of that page. That's what I thought neither Avid or Final Cut Pro have a native HDV codec yet. Panasonic started working with Avid and Apple with that DVC Pro HD format a long time before anyone else so they got a head start on codec development etc. Unfortunately Panasonic hasn't introduced a DVX100 style HD camcorder to go along with it.

So Premiere is the first on the block with HDV support but I'd imagine Apple/Avid won't be too far behind. apple has the same message on the FCP site as well.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-29-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
What the ???

Here is the footnote from the Avid page at the bottom:

*HDV editing planned for a future release, provided as a free update to all Avid Xpress Pro HD v5.0 customers.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-30-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
i heard they are releasing it at NAB.

as is Panasonic with their "consumer"(10,000) HD camera.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-30-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
Wellllllll,

how's it looking???

10K for the Panny??? Must be a broadcast size unit like the new JVC.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-31-2005, 6:12 AM Reply   
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-to-Announce-AJ-HDX100-Under-$10000-HD-Camcorder-at-NAB-with-24P.htm
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-31-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
That's old news.... February 11, 2005

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-31-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
ya, but camera is still not out.
I personally wont get anything that doesnt say "sony" on it.

(Message edited by toolfan on March 31, 2005)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-31-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Rumor has it... it should be release in late '05

hmmm, I used to be on the same train of thought... then I got the DVX100a.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-31-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
Panasonic
AG-HVX200 DVCPRO HD P2 Camcorder
Unveiling at NAB 2005, the AG-HVX200 is the professional video industry's most anticipated technology breakthrough. This revolutionary, hand-held P2 camcorder provides 1080i and 720p recording with the production proven image quality of 100 Mbps DVCPRO HD. The AG-HVX200 records on a P2 card in 1080 in 60i, 30p and 24p; in720 in 60p, 30p and 24p; in 480 in 60i, 30p, and 24p either in DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO.

http://www.whatsnewatnab.com/search/code.php?code=031
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-31-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
Wow Panasonic has taken off the gloves! DVCPRO 50 out of a DVX sized (and hopefully priced) unit! Screw HDV - do you know how good DVCPRO 50 already looks? If DVCPRO HD is anywhere as good as Pro 50 this is going to make HDV a joke. (100 mbs vs 18 - it ought to be!) You notice HDV isn't supported! Panasonic didn't jump on the HDV bandwagon and I can see why now. And support for both is already built into FCP and Avid Xpress. I never thought I'd see DVCPRO 50 or for that matter DVCPRO HD in a "prosumer" camcorder! This new P2 card is obviously the key to making those two formats possible at all with a camcorder that small. Now it's starting to make sense - Apple is promising this huge annoucement at NAB. I can see a new version of FCP running on the new 64 bit OS all integrated somehow with this camera. YOWZA! If this thing is anywhere near 5 grand you'd better put that FX1 on Ebay soon.

BTW I was a Sony only guy too before I got the DVX100!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
Its gonna be 10 grand from what I have read. Let the format wars begin. Im interested to see who is gonna win the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2005, 6:22 AM Reply   
here she is :

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-Creates-Buzz-Teasing-High-Definition-Camcorder-with-720-lines-resolution-24P-Three-13-in-CCDs-for-Under-$10000.htm
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-01-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
No doubt, Panasonic is going to milk this for a while. I'd be tempted at 7K but not 10! In a couple of more years we shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense of sony and Panasonic "protecting" their high end gear by crippling (or in this case overpricing) their prosumer gear.

Still eagarly awaiting your review of that new FX1.

I visited 2 pop for the first time in a while and I see some of the gearheads are really liking what they're getting out of the FX1. The general thought about this new Panasonic is that it sounds too good to be true!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-06-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
So far I am not impressed with the FX1. Im still tweaking though. Once my enhancing filters get here I will tell you more. As of right now though, I am not impressed. I really want to get a DSR-500.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
What are you unimpressed by? Is it the picture quality, slow mo, colors,
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
The image isnt as great as I expected. The colors are still slightly washed out. In SD, I think my XL2 does better. Not to mention the "24p" is a joke. It cant handle any camera movement at all in that mode. Then again, Im comparing to to my DSR-390. I just expected more. I should have waited for the new Panny.

I do like the size and weight of the camera though. Its almost perfect. I think the XL2 is imbalanced and a little too light to keep super steady all the time. But the FX1 is a little heavier and well balanced.

Another issue with the small cameras, the FX1 is that there is nowhere to put the wireless mic. I have zip-tied the reciever to the side and that has made it a little awkward too.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-20-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
Toolfan - to attach a wireless receiver on these types of cameras check this out:

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EVS&Product_Co de=BRACKET1A

Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-20-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
what do you guys think oh this camera?

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=1 3051&itemId=93120&catGroupId=14571&modelNo=AG-HVX200&surfModel=AG-HVX200

Sweet an't it?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-20-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
The most revolutionary offering since Sony introed the VX1000
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-22-2005, 6:00 AM Reply   
too bad it sux. I saw it being demoed at NAB. it wasnt that great. plus it feels cheap and the view finder is crap. the guy at Panny booth told me the product was rushed so it would make its debut at NAB and he agreed the viewfinder and lcd were crap. i did enjoy his honesty though. right now, nothing compares to the sony Z1.

as for the wireless thing...i got a jimmy box for it. its perfect.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-22-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
Pardon me if I wait to see how 100 mbs HD Pro looks vs 25mbs HDV before I take your word for it.

I don't see how the VF and LCD could be any "worse" then the ones on my DVX. I have banged around my DVX pretty good and don't consider it "cheap". And it handles better then the PD150 which I dumped before I got the DVX. Why should we expect anything less here? Have you ever shot with a DVX100?

Did Avid release their HDV codec at NAB? (serious question because I didn't see any news on that).
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-22-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have very little experience with the DVX100. from what i hear, it is awesome.

another thing that I learned was that it does NOT shoot in true HD. it uses shoots in HDV as well. Panny and JVC are both trying NOT to use the nomenclature "HDV" because of its negative connotation that it got when JVC released the first hdv camcorders. they were horrid. no denying it. now alot of people hear the letters HDV and they just cringe. fact of the matter is that most of the new HDV cameras are awesome.

they all(the 1080i ones) basically shoot at 1440 x 1080 and stretch the pixels horizontally to fit into a 1920 pixel wide frame. SD does this as well, so dont think anyless of it because pixels are getting stretched.

One of the speakers(who has won both emmys and grammys) talked about how he shot some stuff with a Z1 and tranfered it to film and the took it to the sundance film festival and showed to several hollywood producers and no one could tell which wasnt native film. also, many producers are using the z1 as a crash camera because it quality and price.

here is a good article:
http://www.digitaltelevision.com/articles/article_875.shtml

i also learned their is no way for a camera(under $50,000) to shoot in true 720p AND 1080i. something about cycle frequencies. i am not too familiar with the terminology. sorry.

as for avid. once again, they are selling the macs short. another six month wait for the HDV plugin on the apple side. hopefully i will be getting the HP version soon. thats another discussion though.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-24-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   

The camera probably seemed kinda cheap becasue it was rushed for NAB, BUT it doesnt come out for another 10 months...........Sooo by then it should be all good. Not just that but the camera HAS an HD lense and it can be shot on different formats which is pretty kick ass. The Sony is sweet but i think as soon as the HVX comes out for the price that it is at, people probably will be picking that up, but i dunno at the same time.