Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-27-2017, 9:50 PM Reply   
I have a friend in Hawaii who's a board shaper, but he has only done ocean boards to this point. If I can convince him to make a board for my daughter, what size should it be? She's 8 years old and about 65 lbs, but won't be that size forever...
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-28-2017, 6:39 AM Reply   
It depends on a few factors but just for a ballpark figure probably around 3'8" to 4'. Of course she'll be able to ride a bigger board for longer as she gets older but it might be a little tricky to get up on at first due to the buoyancy.

Send some pictures of the board if you get one!

Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-28-2017, 7:39 AM Reply   
Thanks! How wide and how thick would be good? I'm not a shaper and have recently gotten into wakesurfing, so this is all pretty new to me. I imagine regular grom surfboard thickness is too much.

Last edited by Shoebox; 09-28-2017 at 7:43 AM.
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       09-28-2017, 9:30 AM Reply   
It'll depend on the density of the foam used, ability of the rider, size of the wake... etc. but another ballpark figure would be probably 0.75" thick. The regular grom boards out there are usually composite which can go thinner than a foam and fiberglass board so they're hard to compare. Before you invest too much time and money in it, Waterloo out of Austin offers a Minion which is a kids surf style board. Unless this is a project you want to take on just for fun, if that's the case get after it and take pics along the way!

The sizes of the Minion are below, give 'em a call and see how much they are, they don't list prices on their website:

3'8" x 19" x .75"
4' x 19.5" x .75"
4'4" x 20" x .75"

Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-28-2017, 5:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info.

I won't be building it, my friend in Hawaii will. He's a pro board shaper, so he knows what he's doing, just hasn't built a grom wakesurf board before.

Not sure what he'll charge me, but that's not really the issue. I'll pay whatever he wants to charge me, I just want a board by him for my daughter. It'll be one of a kind!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2017, 8:46 AM Reply   
Those are skim board dimensions. If you tell your shaper you want a board that is .75" thick he will laugh at you.
The harder part for your bro in hawaii is sourcing the materials. Everything is shipped to the islands at a premium.
The hawaiian market is dominated by Polyurethane because it is still the best core material for the powerful hard hitting waves you have on the islands.
The complete opposite of wakesurfing. It will be hard to do a PU board as thin as you might want, but you do not want a board that is less than an inch unless you are getting a skim board, and if you are getting a skim board you probably do not want to go to a shaper in hawaii.

Regardless you can have your bro contact me if he takes up the project. I will walk him through the basics and he can run from there.
We designed and built the first grom boards, that everyone else just copies.

Alternatively, you can have him shape a grom ocean board, it will work just fine, even better with some minor tweaks.

Nick
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-30-2017, 8:25 AM Reply   
Thanks, I'll pass on your info to him. I definitely don't want him to have to source anything special. He does make grom ocean boards, so I was hoping he could adapt that to a wakesurf board.

Which of your boards is good for kids?

Last edited by Shoebox; 09-30-2017 at 8:31 AM.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-30-2017, 1:57 PM Reply   
The Nano was the first grom surf-style wakesurf board. We make it in 4'0 to 4'4" as standard boards. We've made special boards as small as 3'8".

The Contender is also a youth and light weight rider board. Bit more on the performance level and less on the beginner level.

Basically, he will want to drop the tail and nose rocker down, keep the overall width near 19" and have a wider tail block than an ocean board.
Anything in the 4'0 to 4'2. I usually like a bit wider nose area as well and like to blunt or round off the nose tip for safety for youth boards.

Nick
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-30-2017, 2:14 PM Reply   
Thank you!

Now, when I get a little better, which of yours do you recommend for a 6'2", 210 lb guy? I'm currently learning on a Hyperlite Landlock, which I enjoy but I'm sure I'll outgrow skill-wise soon enough.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-02-2017, 10:46 AM Reply   
Kelly,

Sort of depends on the direction you want to go, but once you got riding in the pocket, throttle and brakes down, then I would generally reccomend a 4'6 or 4'8" Sixer.
The Sixer fills the gap between a typical hybrid and a pro style aerial board. They are pretty easy to ride, responsive, not too demanding, but although for an endless amount of progression.
If you feel you are ready to jump into a aerial oriented pro style board I would reccomend a Pocket Rocket or Team Pro. These will be a little more demanding to ride, very responsive and really geared to above the lip surfing. Then there a numbers other board like the RacerX and Ringer which float a little more towards hybrids and make for an easy ride and limitless progression.

Nick
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       10-03-2017, 3:03 PM Reply   
Thanks. Maybe I can drop a few hints to the wife. After all, Xmas is coming...
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       10-04-2017, 1:26 PM Reply   
As a Shaper of many boards ,,,First thing I need to know is What size shoe she wears ,how tall ,how much she weights,,,and her riding Experience...A,B,C,Done...
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       10-04-2017, 1:40 PM Reply   
She's 53" tall, 65 lbs, wears kids 4 shoes and hasn't ever been on a board. And all of that will change by summer.
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       11-09-2017, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, if you don't mind me asking, what is the thickness of your 4'0" Nano board?