Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       03-07-2017, 12:56 PM Reply   
Been researching these two boards and having a hard time making a decision. Any opinions on the two?
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       03-07-2017, 1:56 PM Reply   
I will never buy phase 5 again, terrible customer service. When they say they will fix something bc of an error they did, they never do. I am huge on customer service. I would recommend ronix I love their wake boards. I think you should look more into the custom side for wake surf. Do some research, I love 1 of 1 customs, doomswells and chaos boards if you look at them. Lot of them out there and a lot of great looks!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-07-2017, 2:07 PM Reply   
P5, but Ronix is no slouch either. I have had good experiences with both companies, but I prefer the hand made in the USA of P5 products. I rode the Diamond a bit last year and had a lot of fun... Also check out Victoria Wake Factor PCX, that's my favorite and go-to board!
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       03-07-2017, 3:08 PM Reply   
I've looked at some doomswell, I'll have to check out the others
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-08-2017, 6:20 AM Reply   
Doomswell makes some pretty sick boards
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       03-08-2017, 7:21 AM Reply   
I am excited doomswell shipped some to a local boat dealer, finally we have some boards we can try that aren't factory built composites.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-08-2017, 8:42 AM Reply   
If you are looking for a high performance skim style board, Ronix isnt even worth considering. The Phase 5 Diamond is a performance board designed for competition level riding, where the Ronix is more of a skim shaped cruiser. The Ronix is too thick and flexible which makes it less responsive and not hold an edge well. You can do stuff on the ronix, but it will be a lot looser and not have the same bite and it will not have snap off the wake.

Doomswell doesnt make a high performance skim either. They make great surf style boards though.

Out of those two boards (Diamond and thumbnail), definitely get the Diamond.

Last edited by wakemitch; 03-08-2017 at 8:45 AM. Reason: edit
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-08-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
I am excited doomswell shipped some to a local boat dealer, finally we have some boards we can try that aren't factory built composites.
Doomswells are now built overseas. They still build one off customs in the USA, but if it is at a dealer, it was from the south pacific.

They are still much better shapes than the wakeboard brands though, but the materials are still similar.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-08-2017, 9:55 AM Reply   
As I understand it, the doom crew no longer builds any custom boards or more specifically USA builds. They closed up the Texas shop and sold off much of the equipment. They are 100% overseas construction, just factory reproduced models, from the south pacific or middle east, whatever. It is nice of them to support the middle east's economy while petrochemical jobs are tanking here in the US. It seems they simply maintain a fulfillment warehouse in Texas, which stores factory boards that are stacked before shipping to dealers or direct customers. I've been told it was a business decision largely made by the financial backers. That could be wrong.

I can tell you this. I supply my dealers hand built one off boards, built start to finish by me. I only do this because I love what I do. It is not financially viable to do so. I also have factory built boards available, and honestly the margins are not that much different. It is simply a matter of whether I pay myself to build it, or pay someone else.

If a skim board is the thing, there are number of good skim boards out there. Each of the larger US makers build boards a little different than each other, Victoria has its characteristic look and material builds, same with Exile, and P5. There is shortbus, throwing down a variety of builds, then you can get custom 1-off builds from myself (Chaos Surf Co) or Jeff (SoulCraft). The aforementioned brands offer varying degrees of customized colors and graphics, not typically custom shapes or material builds.

Nick
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       03-08-2017, 4:47 PM Reply   
Really great insight! I appreciate it!
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-10-2017, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
As I understand it, the doom crew no longer builds any custom boards or more specifically USA builds. They closed up the Texas shop and sold off much of the equipment. They are 100% overseas construction, just factory reproduced models, from the south pacific or middle east, whatever. It is nice of them to support the middle east's economy while petrochemical jobs are tanking here in the US. It seems they simply maintain a fulfillment warehouse in Texas, which stores factory boards that are stacked before shipping to dealers or direct customers. I've been told it was a business decision largely made by the financial backers. That could be wrong.

I can tell you this. I supply my dealers hand built one off boards, built start to finish by me. I only do this because I love what I do. It is not financially viable to do so. I also have factory built boards available, and honestly the margins are not that much different. It is simply a matter of whether I pay myself to build it, or pay someone else.

If a skim board is the thing, there are number of good skim boards out there. Each of the larger US makers build boards a little different than each other, Victoria has its characteristic look and material builds, same with Exile, and P5. There is shortbus, throwing down a variety of builds, then you can get custom 1-off builds from myself (Chaos Surf Co) or Jeff (SoulCraft). The aforementioned brands offer varying degrees of customized colors and graphics, not typically custom shapes or material builds.

Nick
Don't you build some of your boards at the Hope factory in Shenzhen? Could've swore I saw some there last time I was over seas for work
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2017, 8:11 AM Reply   
Oh, we have a hack response from from a fake account. Read the quoted message. I've worked with factories and continue to work with factories in California, Florida, Texas, Australia, China (mainland), Hong Kong, Thailand and I am sure others in my 30+ years of board building. So, Chris kook what ever keep pounding your head into the wall. Oh and I sign my messages, everyone knows who I am..... Feeble children hide on the internet..... You seem like that Georgia looser hack, lakewakes or fakewakes with the lame tiki logo, and lame copy builds

Nick
Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-22-2017, 8:12 PM Reply   
I personally have the Diamond, and I love it! First rode it in on Lake Mead on a trip and bought it the next day. I can't say i've ridden the Ronix, so can't help you there.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-23-2017, 7:11 AM Reply   
@ NICK Yeah I wish I had never talked to the Ga guy, I thought I would try and keep the local guy in business and bought one of the lakewakes boards. Its not a total waste as my kids really like it, but I spent over 500 on a custom board for me ( 6' 225#'s ) and it did NOT work well for me at all. And subsequently will, im sure, get grief if/when I decide to pursue another custom board from the CFO ( wifey, lol ). Should have gone with one of you more RESPECTED guys the first time, lesson learned. Sorry for the HIJACK.
Old     (WaBackcountry7)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-25-2017, 9:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
I will never buy phase 5 again, terrible customer service. When they say they will fix something bc of an error they did, they never do. I am huge on customer service. I would recommend ronix I love their wake boards. I think you should look more into the custom side for wake surf. Do some research, I love 1 of 1 customs, doomswells and chaos boards if you look at them. Lot of them out there and a lot of great looks!

How did Phase 5 screw you? I have had great luck with them. I own three and prefer them way over Ronix.