Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-28-2007, 11:38 PM Reply   
After looking around this site and talking with some people about the differences between the Canon 40D and the XTi, I am thinking of going ahead and getting the 40D. I am looking at taking a couple of classes and am hoping to "grow" into this camera over the next few years. With that said, (and I will listen if any of you think I am wasting my money, or there is a better option), I want to make sure I am not getting anything I don't need. I talked to a guy at the camera store today about this setup, and he was mentioning a maintenance program for about $120 for 4 years. Is this needed? It allows me to send in the camera twice per year to get cleaned, along with repairing anything that breaks on the camera.

I am not one that typically buys the extended warranties with my purchases, and I am not sure if the cleaning feature or repair is a needed extra.

Thank you in advance.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-28-2007, 11:56 PM Reply   
Meh...I'd skip it. Canon offers a 1 year warranty on that camera, right? The only maintenance you'll probably ever need is a sensor cleaning, and that should only run you about $35 anyways. You can even do this at home if you want. But then if that warranty of theirs covers accidental damage then hmm...

As far as the 40D is concerned- it's a perfectly fine camera to start shooting with, especially if you're going to wanna learn how to shoot in manual mode and use some of the more advanced features. Basically, it's a better tool to use to get the job done. I'm still not a fan of that Digi Rebel. You don't get a wheel on the back that adjusts the aperture and scrolls through menus. Instead, I think you have to press a button on the back of the body with your thumb and scroll the wheel by the shutter release button to change the aperture. It's really stupid and I probably just confused you there, but basically if you can afford the 40D and you wanna get into photography, then go with the 40D.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
I'd go with the 40D and skip the maintenance plan too.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-29-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
I thought the 40D already had the self cleaning sensor? I've shot about 12K clicks so far with the mkIII and it doesn't show any signs of dust at all. I had the same results with the xti so I've got to think the sensor cleaning system is working pretty well.

I agree with Scott, there is really nothing else to maintain, they don't really get out of adjustment and if by chance you get a unit that's off to begin with Canon will tweak that under warranty for up to a year.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you very much. I have gone back and forth about the two, and the 40D is obviously a better camera, and you are paying for it. It feels a lot better in my hands, and comes with a much better lens.

I am not sure I can afford it Scott, but Santa brought some money, so there's a little extra in the petty cash fund right now. I do want to get into photography, and do not want to buy a new one in a year from now.

Thanks again for your guys input.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-29-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Before you buy take a close look at the Nikon D80 and the D300 or D200. The D80 is going to be sitting right between the XTi and the D40 and the D300 is comparable to the D40 if not a bit of a step up. For fear of starting the infamous canon vs nikon debates i will say go with what you like best but certainly take a look. also compare some of the pro models between the two as well. this will give you some insight as to where the companies are taking their technology. Personally i like nikon. thier biggest downfall being high ISO noise, but canon i find is much more difficult to operate. a large part of the setting are through the menu.

no one had mentioned it so i figured i would just stir the pot a little bit.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Joshua, I hear what you are saying, although I am coming from a 35mm Canon that my lenses will work on the 40D. I have seen a lot of good feedback on the Nikon, but with the Canon, I am not going to have to put as much into it right now with additional lenses. I am sure that will change in time as I get better with this camera.

And...it is too late, since I just got back from the store and the battery is charging as I speak!!!
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-29-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
awesome. the 40D is still an amazing choice. you really cant go wrong. i thought you were starting out from scratch with no lenes and stuff. it makes no sense to switch if you already have lenses. let us know how it goes.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Well, here's how it is going. I got everything put together... took my first picture of a nice sunset... went to take a second picture of someone and got an "ERROR 99".

Any thoughts on what I should do? I have looked online and have not been able to find what that error is. I have taken out the battery like the manual says, but no help. This is a great feeling on the first day.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Walt, I just found that website right before you sent it. I opened everything up, looked at the lens, and it looked good. Put it back together, tried to take a picture, and something started clicking in the front around the area of the lens. I took the lens off, and as I was opening, something popped. There was a burt smell coming out of the housing after the pop. Would I be able to take this back and get another one? I don't want to start this off with a camera that needs service.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
They should take it back. Where did you buy it ?
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Best Buy
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
I'm sure it won't be a problem there.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
I am heading out the door right now. Thanks
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Make sure you bring everything with you. Cables,direction box etc.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Easy exchange, charging it up for round two
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
Lets see a few pics from it.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-29-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
While the battery is charging I can let you know what it was. There was a problem with the flash. I am not sure of the technical term, but it was something to do with the charge of the flash, because when he turned the flash off, it worked fine.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-29-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
meh...the flash probably just blew up. That's what the bad smell was. And that "error 99" popped up because the camera was sensing that the flash wasn't working properly.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
I am trying to upload a picture, and have not been able to get it small enough. What would be the best way to reduce the picture enough to post? I have looked on the canon software that came with the camera, picasa was recommended to me, and I have looked at Microsoft Picture Manager which was already on the computer.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-30-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Well if your going to get into this photography stuff you might as well buy photoshop. You can re-size with windows paint too.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
The site keeps telling me to get the picture within 1025x1025. What does that mean? I have already reduced the picture to 448x299 pixels. The program said that would be a small web picture.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
Trying this again...Upload
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Ok, i need to compress the file, not just resize it. Not much around the house today to take pictures of, just the mess of cleaning up Christmas stuff. I need to get out tomorrow and head down to the beach!!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-30-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
What software are you using? Wakeworld requires that photos be less than 150kb in size as well as being less than 1025x1025 pixels.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
The only thing I could find in the software I have was in Microsoft Picture Manager. It seemed to work finally, I guess I need to keep messing around. It was the kb that was getting me.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-30-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
Didn't the camera come with some kind of photo editing software? I thought they even came with the software to control the camera from a laptop with a live view? Nikon makes it an extra purchase BUT I did get CaptureNX for free...just have not had time to install it yet.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-30-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
The camera came with Digital Photo professional, I was not able to find a way of editing the size on that program. I am still messing around with it and trying to learn how to use it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2007, 11:23 PM Reply   
Kevin is there an option on the program to save for web? i know photoshop has that
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-31-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
In the Microsoft program, that is what I used to get the picture on here. I was just not able to find that on any of the programs that came with the camera.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-31-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Launch Canon's Image Browser (part of the SW bundle), select internet, select re-compress and send, adjust as needed.
Old     (khaz)      Join Date: May 2007       12-31-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thank you Rich, that was easy.