Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
i understand the difference between the compression molded "wakeboard style" construction, and i am just sick of repairing dings and cracks in my "surf" construction board (an old old triple x). we also have a CWB ride, so i can tell the difference with the durability vs performance issue...

So is there an in-between? I guess I just don't know enough about "epoxy resin infused super kevlar bamboo something something"

please explain, and specific brands and examples are welcome, what features to look for, and where to find a performing foam construction DURABLE wakesurf board.

it is amazing to see how many people think it is okay to throw the board into the boat, or how easily they drop somehting so light weight.

thanks!

also, is there a benefit to putting bags and sacks IN the engine compartment vs ON the engine compartment?

Last edited by newwhit; 07-06-2011 at 4:01 PM. Reason: added another question
Old    surfdad            07-06-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
I've built and manufactrured composite sandwicg boards for a bit now. Probably the "in between" you ask about. It's a high density foam and fiberglass wrapped around a low density foam interior. Resists heels dents well, but whack it on a hard surface enough and it'll ding also. Epoxy is stronger and stiffer than polyester and therefore has more impact resistance. A higher density underlying foam can also help resist dings, but foam of any kind isn't structural below 5 pound density - that's the realm of skimmers not surf style boards. LakeWakes boards use a 3 pound density EPS which is slightly higher density than most EPS Epoxy boards. Best bet, IMO, don't let folks treat your boards with disrespect.

Just for completeness. Epoxy Infusion is a form of Resin Infusion, using Epoxy as the resin. It's merely a method of applying resin to "something". The something is wrapped in fiberglass or some other reinforcement and placed in a mold or vacuum bag and a vacuum is pulled. Once everything is align and the vacuum is appropriate a valve is opened that allows the vacuum to pull the epoxy into the mold or vacuum bag. The benefit is less VOC exposure to workers, a better ratio of resin to reinforcement and potentially less resin uptake into the "something" like a wakesurf board.

Super Kevlar? I want some of that!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-06-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
Shred Stixx makes a very durable board.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Shred Stixx makes a very durable board.
My Shred Stixx is the exact opposite of durable. I love the board but its the most fragile board I've owned.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-06-2011, 11:08 PM Reply   
I've rode 3 types of surf style wake surfboards. Grind Water, Slingshot Arcane, and a real surfboard.

Grind water makes the weakest boards, I've seen spider cracks, dents, and a lost fin box. They are nice looking and nice riding boards but they they try to make them too light and are not nearly strong enough.

Slingshot Arcane is a really fun board too, much stronger. I don't know how it's made, but it's not manufactured the same way as a typical surfboard. It's been ran into the boat, dropped and no signs of damage anywhere. It is on the heavy side of the spectrum but I would strongly suggest it if you are looking for a strong surf style board.

My real surfboard falls in between the three in strength and weight. There are dents in it but there is no spider cracking. Picked it up for $200 and it works great plus it helped in the build process of making my own surfboard (gotta test it out soon).
Old    surfdad            07-07-2011, 5:52 AM Reply   
On the slingshot arcane - the folks from slingshot described it as a bamboo veneer sandwich.

The quote from slingshot:

Using only top of the line materials, it’s constructed with a complex layering system called a wood veneer sandwich. Starting with a super lightweight foam core, which is wrapped in a lightweight glass, the board is then sandwiched between dense layers of wood (bamboo), and finished with a final layer of glass to reinforce the rails. Along each step, we also use vacuum bagging techniques that enhance the bonding strength. The result is less weight, much more durability, controlled flex, and earth friendly.

The thread where you can find the above quote, which is worth the read - for the reviews from folks that have ridden it:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774526
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
thanks for the info!

surfdad- that explaination does help in looking for what construction to look for when shopping for a board, and yes, I agree, i just need to demand respect for my equipment...

i had forgotten about the arcane! looks cool!

arent there companys that wrapp the edges with a carbon fiber something, for durability?
Old    surfdad            07-07-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
Oh good, glad that helped some.

There are a number of boards that use CF. TWP and P5 both have options for full CF wrap and IS uses CF along the rails in a few different models, but it's not for durability. CF is most noted for it's high tensile strength, it's crazy stiff compared to other reinforcements (which allows less of it to be used and so can be LIGHTER than other reinforcements), but it's also very brittle and won't take much in the way of impact. CF along the rails typically is to prevent rail twist-off or purely asthetics That stiffness can also be a drawback, CF doesn't really yield, it won't deform so when if it bends past it's ultimate strength it FAILS CATASTROPHICALLY. The ballistic fabrics like Kevlar and Innegra offer good impact resistance, but their high elongation makes them almost "floppy". In practice CF and Kevlar are often used together to provide the combination of high impact resistance (Kevlar) and stiffness (CF). On wakesurf boards, CF is typically underneath a layer of fiberglass to provide the impact resistance. I hear you, rail dings are a problem in the boat!
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-07-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have 2 Inland boards and a carbon p5.

Granted, we are careful with our gear.
The p5 looks like new.
The IS have mild chips along the outer edge epoxy, but that's just minor cosmetic stuff. Definitely no dents or anything structural.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
My Ronix Koal has more craters in it then the moon!