Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-12-2018, 7:21 AM Reply   
I posted a while back about my under-powered 2008 MCX 350 x-star. At the time I considered buying a similar star with a larger engine, however I received mixed feedback on weather the 6.0 L engine was a worthwhile improvement, and several people warned me that the larger 8.1 L engine was mechanically problematic. Thanks to all who gave me their input on that. If I were to take a new direction and go for a used G23, will the 450 get on plane with ballast full and boat loaded in a reasonable amount of time? Will I wish I had the 550 down the road like I wish my xstar had a bigger engine now? Thanks again.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-12-2018, 9:45 AM Reply   
It depends on boat year, elevation and what you plan on doing with it. In 2015 they changed to a 2:1 vdrive that helped and 2016 changed to the new PCM H6 which is better and changed the hull design.

We're at about 3,500 ft of elevation and have a 2015 with the 450. It has no problems surfing or wakeboarding with full ballast and a full crew. We're not good enough to need more than stock weight wakeboarding. Some good wakeboarders run 3,000 lbs of weight which you'd need the 550 for. If you're a really good boarder and don't mind 12-15 gal/hour for fuel go with the 550.

We've played around with more weight for surfing and the 450 is just fine. Above stock the wake does get steeper with more weight which some like but we don't. I've ridden the 2016+ hull a couple times and found it needs less weight so you probably wouldn't go over stock. I've heard from others that they drop weight when they add bodies because the surf wake gets worse. I don't have any experience with the 450 on the old gear reduction.

We've done a couple trips at lower elevation and it has noticeably more power as you get closer to sea level.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       02-12-2018, 1:42 PM Reply   
What is your elevation....and what trans will the G23 have (2:1)? Like stated above, that will be your biggest considerations and 2:1 sacked out, doesn't require a 550 unless you are at high elevation.
You can max out on weight with the G23 cause of the way the surf system is designed and the surf wave is steep and not extremely adjustable...those are the 2 "issues" with Nautique surf system IMO and Malibu Surf Gate at a certain weight, wave will start getting worse cause you get the gate too deep in water and the wave is not clean. That is where tabs are better IF you like running a lot of weight. (not bashing either brands, I love all the new boats)
Depends on your skill level and how you will use the boat the most. Nautique fit/finish as well as storage is excellent but if surfing is your primary focus, I recommend Centurion who also has great interiors. Those boats come with stock setups that hold 5k+ lbs including the Ramfill (which also fills in 45 seconds).
All the brands now have excellent points, some are a little better than others at certain things. IMO, Centurion does it all very well and very hard to beat one especially if surfing is your thing. Look at the Boardco videos for Centurion (and other brands).

You may also want to check the PlanetNautique forum if you have not already posted there
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2018, 4:39 AM Reply   
To provide more info: I am at 1020 feet. I don't do a lot of surfing, mostly wake. At the end of last season I was just starting to stick my first crowmobes. I do not know what transmission I will have. Sounds like if I find a boat with the 2:1 then the 450 should be safe. If it doesn't maybe I should have the 550?
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-13-2018, 10:22 AM Reply   
2014 was the first year of the 2:1. Our yearly trips are at 1,150 ft of elevation. The boat gets up to speed quick with a crew of 8 - I didn't time it but I'm guessing between 10 and 15 seconds.

Planet Nautique has a few posts about the wakeboard wake with more ballast from some pretty good riders. From what I understand the wake gets bigger but also gets firmer as you load it up.

Up here the difference in price for used G's with the 450 vs 550 is around $5k Canadian. With a bit of searching you might find a good deal on one with a 550. The other thing to remember is that you need to run premium fuel in the 550.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       02-13-2018, 10:52 AM Reply   
A G23 with the 450 and the 2:1 transmission is the way to go.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2018, 11:54 AM Reply   
C Johnson, 10-15 seconds is pretty good. Was that estimate with factory ballast full?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       02-13-2018, 5:23 PM Reply   
I am at 800ft elevation....have the PCM ZR409 engine in my 2014 SV244 and with 5k lbs of ballast I have no issues at all and never run out of power/torque. My trans is 1:1.48. I have a surf prop on my boat that is a #1433 (14.25x14.25), tons of low end power and will still do 40mph on top end unweighted. IMO, at 1020 elevation you will never have issue with the H6 or ZR450 engine. Worst case you get a surf specific prop.... With a 2:1 trans you will have the same power with a larger prop tho.
I would not be scared at all of the 450 and personally would stay away from the 550 in this situation since premium fuel is harder to find in a lot of places and likely you wont get all the engine money back, tho buying used you have less depreciation to worry about. 450 should do better on fuel too, especially if the H6.
I surf heavily weighted 90% of time....course there is the idle time back to rider, etc...but over days average, I am at 4.5GPH which is awesome
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-14-2018, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercorps View Post
C Johnson, 10-15 seconds is pretty good. Was that estimate with factory ballast full?
Yep. Here's a video of a 450 and 409 acceleration times which might be helpful. The beep is when you reach set speed. If you look at the time on the video it looks like about 7 seconds. He said full ballast but it doesn't seem like they have a crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQhoRZSmXAA

Check out the first comment and answer about additional weight. 3,000 lbs above full ballast is 33 seconds but 2,150 above full ballast is 15 seconds with the 450. They're a little closer to sea level than you but not much.

Last edited by YYCBoarder; 02-14-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added details
Old     (Fbeltrao)      Join Date: Sep 2017       07-29-2018, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercorps View Post
I posted a while back about my under-powered 2008 MCX 350 x-star. At the time I considered buying a similar star with a larger engine, however I received mixed feedback on weather the 6.0 L engine was a worthwhile improvement, and several people warned me that the larger 8.1 L engine was mechanically problematic. Thanks to all who gave me their input on that. If I were to take a new direction and go for a used G23, will the 450 get on plane with ballast full and boat loaded in a reasonable amount of time? Will I wish I had the 550 down the road like I wish my xstar had a bigger engine now? Thanks again.
Did you end up going with the 450? I’m in the same dilemma
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2018, 1:27 PM Reply   
I have a buddy with a 2013 G23 with the 550 I ride with all summer and if I can find a used one in a year or two in the price range, I'm looking for. (pretty sure I can)

I wouldn't pass it up. You can throw that 550 g23 loaded down, deep into a tight cove and it just powers through the turn like it's nothing. I mean it feels like a direct drive ski boat. I'll see if I can get a video of it turning around in the cove we run. There is no way my supra would make it.

All boats surf good enough now but you can't beat the wakeboard wake on a G23. I