Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       07-23-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
I am still demoing and hunting for a new inboard. My current I/O has snap-out carpet and I like it. For those of you that have owned boats without snap out carpet, what problems has it presented? Odor? Mildew? Stains?

Thanks!
Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-23-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
I like the snap out carpet however I have owned boats with built-in carpet and have had no problems. With proper care/cleaning, both work fine. It is really a matter of personal preference, IMO.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
I have 'stay-in' carpet, to me it's really not that bad (but I have never owned a boat without it). I don't have any issues with odor/staining/mildew/etc, but I could see it getting really bad if we were to come off the lake and put the boat cover on it while the inside was still wet (but I never put the cover on, just let it dry on the lift, smells like any other boat).

But, my next boat will have snap-out carpet for sure (ease of spring/winter cleaning being the only real reason why I want it).
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-23-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Our first boat I/O had snap out carpets and I loved it. When we went to a V-drive it did not come with snap out carpets, I was very concerned. Now that I have lived without snap out carpets I am fine. It dries fast and I have no more concerns. It really makes no difference to me. You will be fine.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Have had both and prefer snap out. You can keep glued carpet clean, but that means you have to clean it in the boat, which is pretty easy if you trailer your boat and keep it near your house where access to vacs or other cleaners is easy. If you keep the boat in a slip, way easier to take the carpet out than to haul vacs and carpet cleaners to the boat.

I would not make that a major factor in deciding between boats though.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
I've had both & don't have issues with either. We keep the Vride moored for weeks or months at a time. I typically will leave the cover off after we ride but have covered the boat wet many times. No mildew, mold or stink. We have dogs in the boat occasionally, a sandy beach by the dock & still only have to vacuum it out once a month or so.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
I think a lot depends on the climate where you live.
Here in the Southwest, where the humidity is very low, I've never had any problem with stay in carpet in the three boats I've owned. A couple hours in the hot sun, and it's dry as a bone.
But I'm sure it would be a plus in the Northwest or even Midwest or South where stuff never seems to dry out.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-23-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I've had both and greatly prefer snap-out. Only problem is that eliminates malibu from your list. I heard they will go to snap-out in the next couple years.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-23-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
the metal rivets that snap on get EXTREMELY!!! hot.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       07-23-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
snap out, and yes they DO get pretty hot.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-23-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
I hate carpet all together, have snap in on my boat but took it out. to much time to dry. does feel nice on the feet though
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-23-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
I prefer the snap out. I've never owned a boat with it, but some of my friends have and it is in my opinion the only way to go. Problem is all the boats I'm looking at don't offer it.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-23-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
I've had snap-out carpet in both the Centurion's that I've owned. I really like it. Snaps have never been a issue.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2009, 12:37 AM Reply   
I have glued in carpet, as did my last boat, and my brother-in-laws Four Winns has snap in. The boats are stored the same and used on the same lake but my carpet does not smell and his does. I think the backing they need to use might be the problem but I agree that it's not such a big deal that it should influence your choice much.
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-24-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
The "stay in" carpet only becomes a real problem when it's time to replace the carpet.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
There's a lot of algae in the lake we use, and the glued carpet gets pretty dirty pretty fast. It CAN be cleaned to look like new, but it's a ton of work. Maybe a carefully-used pressure washer would be easier, but I haven't tried it.

Plus, cleaning it on a lift is a pain. I'd be putting a lot of soapy water in the marina, and the owners just "might" object.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-24-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
I like snap in....
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-24-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have both in my boat. The main cockpit area is glued in, the bow area is snap-in. The glued in area looks better, as it vacuums easily, and air dries very easy. The Snap in carpet has a plastic backing that doesn't dry as easily. I do like how easy it is to snap out and rinse out in the drive way at home.

Both work well, but have different applications. If you trailer a boat to the lake, the glued in is easy to care for, if you leave it on a lift, snapping it out and taking it home to clean is easier. I wouldn't let the install of carpet keep me from buying a particular boat. I would look for seating, storage and performance first.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-24-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I think Sandy hit the nail on the head.