Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-14-2016, 12:47 PM Reply   
My wife's lease is up in about 10 months .... but we're starting to look for a replacement. I'm okay with buying anytime between now and then and just eating the lease payments since its so stupid cheap ($80/mo for 15k miles a year).

The next car for her will most likely be a crossover / mid-sized SUV .... odds are there is a kid in our future in 2-3 years, so trying to prep for a car-seat. If we go with a sedan, it'll be the Tesla model 3.

Her wish list is:
Pretty - hard for me to quantify this
Quick - to me thats 5.5 sec 0-60 give or take
Heater leather - she hates cloth
Navigation
Backup camera

I'm expecting to spend like $45-50k, I don't want to, but figure thats what it will take to get what she wants. We're okay with used if its really lightly used w/ CPO warranty. (2-3 years old 36k or less miles)

The short list we've got so far -
Jaguar F-pace - current front runner
Audi Q5 or SQ5
Ford Explorer Sport w/ 3.5 Ecoboost

Likes the look but slower than she would like:
RR Evoque
Acura MDX
Lexus RX and NX (NX is kinda small though)

Anyone have personal experience with these, or input on anything else I may have missed?
Thanks!
Old     (Jrobb)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-14-2016, 6:58 PM Reply   
I have an rx 350 and love it it is great for me wife and kid but i also have full size truck for boat. I have personally not driven the audi or jag but i love the way my rx drives, and all the little features it has. I have also had an explorer ltd with v8 it was great but would definitely go lexus again for overall quality.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-14-2016, 8:07 PM Reply   
I also have a GMC 1500 for heavier things and hauling trash to the dump (we don't have trash pickup where I live). So this is going to be almost exclusively a people hauler.

My wife loves the look of the F-sport RX / NX ... we've had two Lexus IS350s and loved them, the warranty is great, and I trust Toyota reliability more than any of the others (except maybe Acura).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2016, 10:11 PM Reply   
My sister has an evoke, she loves it. Very pretty and well put together car, feels plush inside and drives really well. Plenty zippy enough to be fun to drive
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-14-2016, 10:22 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee for sale that hits all of your wish list.
Attached Images

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-16-2016, 4:39 PM Reply   
We have a 4Runner Limited for our people hauler and I love it. It is not quick in any sense of the word, but potential for everything else on the list. Great resale as you seem to cycle through cars.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-16-2016, 7:12 PM Reply   
We just got my wife a Subaru Legacy and it's really nice. Can't beat the all wheel drive and if you option it with the 3.6LT it's pretty damn fast. It's also a top safety pick which helps with the future kids and insurance. I've never been into Subaru but after driving it and looking at others it was a no brainer. The crossover SUV they have is really nice too and I believe they are all AWD. Lots of standard options, worth a look.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-17-2016, 9:31 AM Reply   
Most either hate them or love them but if you are short listing a Explorer you may also want to consider the Eco Boost Flex. My wife drives an 2010 AWD Ecoboost Flex and I will definitely consider getting another one. It does have a bit more room than the Explorer. They made the front end look a lot better now too. I personally love the thing. It's not Tahoe big but it's not Dodge Journey small but does have a very comfortable sized interior. Back seats have tones of leg room and with the third seat down they have a large cargo area. You'd be amazed at how much space a stroller can eat up let alone the rest of the house that you are packing up and taking with you to go somewhere for a few hours with baby. With the Ecoboost its got some jam and looks pretty damn good on 22's.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-17-2016, 10:12 AM Reply   
needed a good daily driver; looked at the

Audi q5
RR sport
Jeep grand Cherokee.

Cherokee won out, it was hard to beat the price for what you get. Liked it enough to buy a second one 6 months later for my g/f, now wife.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-17-2016, 3:23 PM Reply   
Q5 with 3.0 is quite peppy. SQ5 would be really nice. But, they're not very roomy for storage or the back seat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-17-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
Love the idea of the SRT8, but without a CPO warranty scares a bit.

I mentioned the Flex to my wife and she hates the design.... I love wagons, so would be totally fine with it.... same with Sbuie, nothing in their lineup grabbed her.

We're slated to check out a Q5 3.0t and SQ5 this weekend... I agree the size might be a bummer after the FPace

Thanks everyone so far for chiming in!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-18-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
What about a non-SRT Jeep GC? I bought my wife a 2015 Overland edition 4x4 and love it. Every option you could want, we get compliments on it all the time. We have the v6 which believe it or not has decent pickup, but a friend has the v8 and it moves pretty well...
Attached Images

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-18-2016, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Love the idea of the SRT8, but without a CPO warranty scares a bit.

I mentioned the Flex to my wife and she hates the design.... I love wagons, so would be totally fine with it.... same with Sbuie, nothing in their lineup grabbed her.

We're slated to check out a Q5 3.0t and SQ5 this weekend... I agree the size might be a bummer after the FPace

Thanks everyone so far for chiming in!
Mine is a 2014 with 28k miles. Still has some warranty left. I am pretty sure you can CPO it at any dealership....and um...its pretty quick too...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-18-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
and um...its pretty quick too...
I think the SRT8 has to be the fastest in what we're looking at, but its also the most expensive. If I could CPO it after the fact though, that would certainly make things a bit more appealing. What did you have in mind for a price can email me if you want to keep it off here - tomsyckn@gmail.com

Quote:
I bought my wife a 2015 Overland edition 4x4 and love it.
My cor-worker just picked up the 75th anniversary GC with the V6, we borrowed it for a weekend so she could get the feel, but wasn't really in love with it. Mind you his was also loaded up too, but vs. the giggles she got from the SRT8 seemed to have zero interest in any smaller motor in that car. Also they're pricey (even the non SRT8). I think my co-worker said he was at like $44k for his. If the price is a wash I'm almost certain we would lean to the Jag for the warranty they carry.

.... I did find out today there are two Jag dealers that partner with Costco Auto, so hoping to see if I can get that discount + some of the other Jag deals (free Nav and 1st payment) others report getting if I order a fresh one and put 10% down. That should bring the F-Pace down to about $44k OTD which makes the SQ5 a real tough sell.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-20-2016, 3:24 PM Reply   
This time last year we went into trade my wife's 2012 Acura MDX for a 2016 Acura MDX.
A few blocks before the Acura dealership was the Subaru dealer. We pulled in & left an hour later with this.
Our priorities were #1 Snow superiority, #2 Trunk big enough for our 95lb golden retriever, #3 interior/vehicle Tech.
After this outback, I think we'll always upgrade this outback to another outback. This wagon is absolutely incredible.
Attached Images

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-21-2016, 11:18 AM Reply   
I sent you a PM, but I'll respond here too. I am asking $49,500 but I have a little wiggle room for people here on my favorite forum (especially people in places where I can use the occasional pull). Here is a link to my local CL ad.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5822143374.html
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-21-2016, 10:30 PM Reply   
Got your email, I plan on bouncing it off my wife Sunday - she is out of town til then.

Im just a bit gunshy about having something that I'll still be making payments on after the bumper to bumper warranty.... but I'll be damned if that isn't one pretty vehicle.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the link / reply!
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-24-2016, 5:17 AM Reply   
If you are only going to lease it as long as the warranty any of them will be fine. If you are going to buy it stick with the Acura or Lexus . Both are bullet proof and will have excellent resale.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-27-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
I have no real valid input other than seeing some of the new F-paces out on the road... and wow... they are winning the "posh" SUV game for me in the aesthetics department.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-27-2016, 4:27 PM Reply   
My friend talked me out of the 2015 Explorer due to the lack of room with rear facing car seats. It is pretty small inside considering the length of that vehicle.

We have a 2007 MDX with 135K miles and I love it. The new MDX is bigger and better in every way and I struggle to see how they lose any price/value competition with the list you included outside of performance. We will start shopping for a new ride next year and I will be shocked if I end up in anything outside of the MDX. I love the subraru's but my wife can't get over the "wagon" look.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-27-2016, 4:52 PM Reply   
thanks for all input!

This Saturday we're slated to drive the following:
RX350 / Nx200t
RDX / MDX
Macan S
QX70
MKX / MKC

.... wife wasn't a fan of anything in the Subaru lineup.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-01-2016, 1:03 PM Reply   
Test drive's only made things more confusing for what she wants.

Lexus NX and RX still in the mix.
RDX / MDX out - seemed really cheap inside, dual screen dash is nice though
Macan out too small for the money
QX70 - wife hated everything about it
Q5 / Sq5 - loved, maybe more than the F-Pace
Jeep GC - out
Didn't get to the Lincolns, but we're going to check out the Ford Edge Sport this week.
MAzda CX5 - she liked more than she expected, and at $30k I did too.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-01-2016, 1:43 PM Reply   
Did you ever look at the RR Evoque? My wife likes the look of them. Never been in one though.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-02-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
Yeah, we drove that and the LR Discovery Sport .... Evoque was just too small inside, back seat was tiny. Discovery Sport was pretty nice, but at that price point she would never go with that vs. the F-Pace or Q5.

.... I keep seeing that the new Q5 is coming this summer, so might hold out to see if that drops the old body style prices.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-02-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
Feel your pain Nick. My wife likes the Q5 and no way no how can I fathom their retail cost. You don't really get more that a glorified CRV.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-03-2016, 1:35 PM Reply   
I found out today that to get passive keyless entry (big thing she wants to avoid digging in her purse for the keys) on the F-Pace, you have to go to the Prestige trim, which takes the car from ~$45k to $53k .... which is a bummer.

I found a lease deal on a 2017 Equinox for $145/mo..... she said no. The next test was I offered to sell the boat, our payment there would be a wash for basically any SUV ... much to my delight she said selling the boat will never be an option.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-03-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
For what it's worth - Consumer Reports came out with the "best" family vehicles review and said the Q5 is expensive but worth every penny. Which is very unusual for our cheap/frugal friends at Consumer Reports.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-03-2016, 5:04 PM Reply   
Q5 is a sweet ride. Just make sure the size will work for you. We have no kids but I don't see how something like a stroller will fit without putting a backseat down. When the 2 of us load up for a trip the luggage often overflows from the rear storage.

Have you talked price with anyone? If you're ok with white, black or grey on the lot and 2.0 they'll make some great deals....at least they were this time last year, like close to $40k. We didn't want those colors or the 2.0 so we ordered one and upgraded to sports package. Price was closer to $50k but no ragrets, bra.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-04-2016, 9:46 AM Reply   
We talked a bit with the saleman during the test drive on current Q5 pricing ... the problem was her want of the 3.0 vs. the 2.0. He was pretty straightforward with things though and said we stood a better chance of a deal in late December / when the new body style is released.
He also seemed very willing to deal on a SQ5 they had sitting on the lot.

I'm working on whipping up an order through a FL dealer on an F-Pace .... it looked like I could do a custom build for Feb delivery and would be ~4% under MSRP. I would fly down and drive it home then.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-04-2016, 12:59 PM Reply   
Outback 3.6r or Forester XT.

If you can look past the badge you'll be very happy. Very capable. Very VERY safe. Solid reliability and inexpensive to maintain. They're quirky but endearing. You should at least give them a looksy
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-05-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
her want of the 3.0 vs. the 2.0.
She's right. The 2.0 is a slug in comparison. Drove a loaner while getting regular service performed on ours. Couldn't wait to give the 2.0 back.