Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-16-2015, 4:02 PM Reply   
Finally got tired of storing and having to bolt on my surfgate...built a semi permanent one. Hopefully testing this weekend. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-16-2015, 4:05 PM Reply   
Pics
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
Computation Fluid Dynamics is for nerds anyways. Is this a prototype or the completed deal?

I would have used more fasteners everywhere. I bet you see cracks develop at the fastener holes in the transom. Need to increase your bearing surface area.
http://www.bgstructuralengineering.c...BGSCM00306.htm

Did you put a doubler on the inside of the transom?

Is that hinge only attached half length with 2 fasteners on the "gate"? That makes me nervous. Id put a doubler under them or increase the number. I also see some eccentric loading, looks like the support, hinge, and running surface arent all centered.

Im sure it will work right now. idk about next year.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-18-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
Its not attached to the boat at all....only the platform.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2015, 8:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
Its not attached to the boat at all....only the platform.
Thats good. I still don't think its a very elegant solution...Im not about the plywood, especially that plywood hinge haha. Even if its marine grade. I just don't like it.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2015, 10:18 PM Reply   
Also. there is never any pleasing me. I'd critique the space shuttle if i had the opportunity hahaha
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       10-19-2015, 7:05 AM Reply   
You could get a sheet of black 3/4" HDPE if you wanted it to look better. At least it's painted! And it kind of matches the swim platform. As long as it's functional, right? If that's waterproof stain/sealer then I don't see why it wouldn't last a couple seasons.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-19-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Computation Fluid Dynamics is for nerds anyways. Is this a prototype or the completed deal?

I would have used more fasteners everywhere. I bet you see cracks develop at the fastener holes in the transom. Need to increase your bearing surface area.
http://www.bgstructuralengineering.c...BGSCM00306.htm

Did you put a doubler on the inside of the transom?

Is that hinge only attached half length with 2 fasteners on the "gate"? That makes me nervous. Id put a doubler under them or increase the number. I also see some eccentric loading, looks like the support, hinge, and running surface arent all centered.

Im sure it will work right now. idk about next year.
How much weight do you honestly think is put onto the transom by the gate? Also, the force would be a pushing force, not a pulling force....

Most of the loading would be handled by either actuator (on surf gate equipped boats) or by the "rod" on the home made versions that holds the gate out.

IMO if the gate is attached to the transom, the attachment point sees very little loading if any and is there only to give a fixture point for the gate.

Now, if you stood on the gate, that would be another ball game.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-19-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
what did you use for the adjustable arm/pole?

I have been searching for something, thinking about an old cane like my grandpa used to use...
Old     (jtryon)      Join Date: Jan 2015       10-19-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
what did you use for the adjustable arm/pole?

I have been searching for something, thinking about an old cane like my grandpa used to use...
looks like he may have gone the same route as me--the lower portion of a pair of crutches. works great for me with swivel casters on each end and only takes 10 seconds to deploy or retract.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 11:24 AM Reply   
Yeah, I agree on using black HDPE. Looks SO much better, and it's really easy to work with.

And I also agree on some kind of bracket to mount the pole/cane to the gate itself. that little wooden assembly you have there looks thrown together at best.

But you're getting closer. Just think your boat deserves a little more aesthetically pleasing solution.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-19-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
Try an aluminum rod with heim joints at each end for a more appealing rod look.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-19-2015, 1:27 PM Reply   
The idea is to get the positioning and shape/angles worked out...then go HDPE and more than likely Lencos. I didn't want to just jump in and start drilling if it didn't work out well.
Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2016, 2:35 PM Reply   
Just a thought, I have seen people using the dual suction handle on the side of the boat for a "suckgate", is there any reason that you couldn't use one of these to secure the base of your gate to the transom? Just a thought.....