Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
so here it is, we were riding the other day and notice a serious burning oil smell. could not find a drop of oil anywhere. check the oil and its full, just had it serviced. so im thinking its a few drops burning off that got dripped onto the motor. well, next time im back at my boat i decide to get really in there since the motor is cold and look around only to find a small bead of oil leaking around the valve cover. basically the valve cover is warping and pulling away from the manifold area. talking to a few people we are under the impression that there is so much heat in that engine compartment from those stupid cat's that its warping the valve cover. its the left, dip stick side. it appears that the dip stick is kind of warping in location also.

well no big deal i guess, i have an appointment with my dealer and the boat goes in tomorrow. its all going to be covered under warranty i know but just a bummer. anyone else having a similar problem?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
I make it a point, every time I know I'm stopping for more than just a few minutes I raise the engine cover to let the heat out. My dealer recommened doing it. I haven't noticed any problems, but haven't really checked. I smell no oil burning , but I lose close to 2 qts of oil every 50 hours on this motor.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Brian I changed my plugs last weekend and noticed oil in about the same area near the value cover, it was way to hot out so I didn't spend much time under there looking, and it was also very little oil so isn't much of a concern. I'll have the Indmar service tech next door take a look at it next time I have it down from the D. It can be alot of things, bad gasket, over tightening when installed will warp the valve covers, heat, etc... Keep an eye on it after you get it back, may just be a 1 time thing, not sure it is because of the CATs.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
What brand of engine is doing this Indmar,PCM,
Mercruiser,ect?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
Indmar.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-21-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
Get ready guys,this is just the begining of the(boat catalytic converter)nightmare thats about to unfold.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
cats+boats with sealed engine compartments=bad deal.

They really need some type of ventilation to remove some of the heat from engine compartments. Running the blower when you're at low speeds may help.??
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
Can't they use the lake water to keep them cool?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
adam and evan have good points when it comes to cooling. i try and make a habit of running the blower at idle. as for opening the covers, well im going to start doing this i guess. but adam, are you running with the motor tray in place. that thing is money for heating up your vest before your set. i guess its a little to good. i am kicking myself more and more for not getting the hammerhead in 07.

darren, sounds like a million dollar question. they have closed cooling systems obviously for salt water. why not some sort of a radiator system around the cats?

johnny, my first thought was over tightening also. im dead set on it being from the heat though. im sure malibu wont say it but its all good thats why i have a 6 yr extended warranty and she's not even 2 yet.

so what motors all have cats now?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
Don't cats use heat to do whatever they do? To me it seems like running water through them would make them not work. Do they need to be insulated better so they don't cause as much ambient heat?

Well, I guess you could see this coming. I hope they do a good job of taking care of the customers. Hopefully it doesn't become to big of a problem that it really hurts the engine manufacturers.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-21-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Converters glow red hot and burn any leftover gas that wasn't burn't by the engine so if you run water to them it won't work.

Bryan,all wakeboats have catalytic converters as of january 09.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
brock, thanks for that i was not sure. so even the big blocks and the 400's all have them? what about bigger boats, like off shore boats and big fishing boats? and is this nation wide or still just in cali?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-21-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
Not real sure how the mandate works but I know wakeboats are required nationwide as of 2009.I would think all boats in the same class range have the same requirements.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
"All Wakeboats as of January 09 require CATS." Not true except in California. The rest of the country is not until January 2011 except for MerCruiser and they are January 2010.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Have you confirmed that the ETX Cats caused this problem?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
ryan, i dont think you can prove it is from the cat's i doubt they will claim it either. im just saying there is an over excessive amount of heat in that motor compartment and mike (my mechanic) says he has seen this a few times now. there is nothing i can do about it and im not complaining im just making sure everyone knows. point being, my valve cover is warping and leaking oil, the cover is tight and maybe like johnny said it could be too tight, who knows. but if there are multiple people having this issue maybe someone will pick up on this and try to create a solution.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
Sounds like the perfect way to grill some food! Get a chick back there cooking