Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-13-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
let me start out by saying i am 395lbs and it is very hard for me to find enough push to surf. so with the axis a22, this is how i weight it and it is amazing. mid and surf side factory hard tanks full, surfside 1100lbs pnp locker full, 950lbs bow pnp, 1100lbs bow triangle on top of playpen, 800lbs floor water bed sack, 200 under seat on surfside. add the wedge to it and as many people as you like. if you want to see the wake look up paul chaput on you tube. and keep in mind my lake is only 25ft deep at deepest.
Old     (tnvolgrad)      Join Date: Dec 2010       05-13-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
4000lbs of ballast plus people? Does the boat float - coast guard weighting on that boat can't be more than 2,600 lbs.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-13-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
Some people run over 5K in an A22. Yes it can do it.
Old     (Shilohwake)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2013, 7:22 PM Reply   
Should have bought a barge!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-13-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Is this the video you're referring to? If so, nicely done! Do I see a AWS decal on the portside?

Last edited by MCObray; 05-13-2013 at 7:37 PM.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-13-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Wow, 4000lbs of weight in a boat is mind boggling. Anyway, looks like you're having fun so good for you.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-14-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferral View Post
Some people run over 5K in an A22. Yes it can do it.
This is what it looks like when you do...

Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-14-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
yes that big guy in the red vest is me. and yes i got my boat from Gerry at AWS! Hands down the best customer service i have ever received. well taken care of at Active Water Sports. i run a lot of weight in my boat. that is one reason i picked the axis a22 cause it can handle the weight. and its more like 4600 pr 4700 plust 10 people this weekend and wedge down. for surfing. i can drop another 1450 in the other locker and hard tank. for wakeboarding but i need a new prop for that much weight.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-14-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
i started out on a 1994 21' ski sanger direct drive. and we would load 2000lbs plus 9 people in that thing. that was sketchy!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-14-2013, 5:35 PM Reply   
what prop are you running? what motor in the boat?
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-15-2013, 7:15 AM Reply   
Nice!! That's a lot of weight but an Axis can handle it.

I got the surf wave dialed in pretty quickly on my new A20. I love how easy it is to weight the boat down for a clean wave or a massive wake. This past wknd we filled the rear 750 and hard tank on surf side, center tank full, front arrow sac full, and wedge up. Only had the driver and spotter in the boat and the wave was still pretty big and clean with plenty of push (for a surf noob like myself). I'm going to drop the wedge and add a 370+ tube sac on top of the seat next time out.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-15-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
its just the 350 motor and is the acme 1235. i am going to put the acme 2315. i should have got the bigger motor but the deal i got on this boat cause it was on the lot and in october was amazing.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-16-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
Wow, that is a LOT of weight in the boat - that is 4150 PLUS stock ballast tanks PLUS people!! I would imagine turning it would be sphincter tightening just a bit....
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-16-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
Paul, you will absolutely love the 2315! I regularly throw 4k lbs and a wedge at mine with the stock motor and it jumps up out of the water!
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-17-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
pprior no turning is not bad at all. **** i ride on the motor cover most the time or the edge hanging off the tower. the hard part is stopping and not getting water in the bow. or turning around to get your rider and not hitting your own wake and getting water in the bow. i found out if i go straight from towing to neutral and turn away from wake side and wait til the waves go by i am good. hahahahaha if you go on to youtube and look up my name there is a video of my buddy brian surfin and you can see the wake better.
Old     (jasonyng)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-07-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
Paul,

What speed are you wakesurfing at? I cant get my A22 to throw a clean wake with that much weight without going like 12.8 mph. I am a bigger guy (260) and ride a inland surfer red rocket and am having trouble going rope free.

Thanks,
Jason
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-09-2013, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonyng View Post
Paul,

What speed are you wakesurfing at? I cant get my A22 to throw a clean wake with that much weight without going like 12.8 mph. I am a bigger guy (260) and ride a inland surfer red rocket and am having trouble going rope free.

Thanks,
Jason
What year is your Axis?
Old     (jasonyng)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-09-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
What year is your Axis?
AJ,

Mine is a 2013 and it has the 335 motor and the 1235 prop. I am thinking it might be a lack of weight in the front, the boat seems to just plow to much and not plane out. I have the plug and play with 900lbs in the rear lockers and 950 in the front. If I fill all ballast it won't plane out until 13 mph or so. I haven't had time to try yet but I am going to try just front pnp and rear surf side and see if that's enough weight up front to get it to plane out at a slower speed.

Any other input is welcome.

Thanks,
Jason
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-09-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
AJ,

Mine is a 2013 and it has the 335 motor and the 1235 prop. I am thinking it might be a lack of weight in the front, the boat seems to just plow to much and not plane out. I have the plug and play with 900lbs in the rear lockers and 950 in the front. If I fill all ballast it won't plane out until 13 mph or so. I haven't had time to try yet but I am going to try just front pnp and rear surf side and see if that's enough weight up front to get it to plane out at a slower speed.

Any other input is welcome.

Thanks,
Jason
Try more weight on top of the play pen bow seats. It'll help get the platform from digging into the wake by pushing the bow down some. Sounds counter productive but you'll be pushing more water with the bow down on the Axis. The best Axis surf wakes I've ridden all have had 1100's in the rear. I have a 2011 with the new style platform. I run just 750's in the rear at the moment, plus another 750 on the surf side seat (goofy side). Then I fill the rear and center tank with the front PnP and 400 in the bow on the goofy side of the play pen. Just that extra 400 makes a different. I have an extra 400 sac so I might try adding that to the bow to see what it does. I'll be getting the 1100's soon for the rear sacs. It is true about the wedge and surfing on the Axis...wedge for the regular side, no wedge for goofy.
Old     (jasonyng)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-09-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Try more weight on top of the play pen bow seats. It'll help get the platform from digging into the wake by pushing the bow down some. Sounds counter productive but you'll be pushing more water with the bow down on the Axis. The best Axis surf wakes I've ridden all have had 1100's in the rear. I have a 2011 with the new style platform. I run just 750's in the rear at the moment, plus another 750 on the surf side seat (goofy side). Then I fill the rear and center tank with the front PnP and 400 in the bow on the goofy side of the play pen. Just that extra 400 makes a different. I have an extra 400 sac so I might try adding that to the bow to see what it does. I'll be getting the 1100's soon for the rear sacs. It is true about the wedge and surfing on the Axis...wedge for the regular side, no wedge for goofy.
What speed do you generally run? I was trying to avoid a sac on the top of the seats but maybe that will be the way to go. I could also try and get the lead bags and see if i can get them up in the forks like some of the guys do.

Jason
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-09-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
What speed do you generally run? I was trying to avoid a sac on the top of the seats but maybe that will be the way to go. I could also try and get the lead bags and see if i can get them up in the forks like some of the guys do.

Jason
I start at 11.6 and adjust from there. I ride a Shred Stixx so it's a fast surf style board.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-10-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
update i surfed this weekend and added even more weight. i know carzy. so i surfed the best set i have ever surfed this weekend. i hope to get the video up a buddy has it on his go pro. but i surf at 11- 11.4 mph. i had factory hard tanks full. i had 1100 in port side rear plug n play, 950 in bow plug n play, 1000 bow triangle, 800 sumo floor sack and i added this weekend for the first time a 600 on port side seat, and i removed the seat that goes over my v drive and put another 600. surfed wedge down and 4 people. it took a little bit to get a clean wake but if you turn hard surfside as they get up and then straighten out it helps with that. i have the 1235 prop i am going to get the 2315 15" 12.00 pitch. it should help out with that. i added all sacks and hard tanks it was close to 6000 lbs. over kill yes but for 395 lbs surfing it was an amazing wave. plus i rode farther back in the pocket and was able to pump back into the wave easier.

jason i took the play pen seats out of mine. the 2 extra 600 sacks i did this weekend are not needed. i say run the 1100 in the rear and put the 1000 bow triangle in and it will make it alot better.if you can add the floor sack from sumo. you can walk on it and everything. yes wedge for goofy sucks. thanks god i am regular. i also suggest a board built more for you. get a hold for the walker project. tell them your weight how you ride and what your wave is like and what you want to do and the can build a board for you. this winter i am having them built me a hybrid. bazooka/ super bomb pop. and tweek a few things for me. they take awhile to build but well worth the money. let them know paul from washington with the bazooka sent you.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-10-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
jason also lead you got to remember you will be trailoring all that weight also. sacks are nice cause you dump them and all the weight is gone. have any more questions just message me i dont check this page that much.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-10-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
tanks it was close to 6000 lbs. over kill yes but for 395 lbs surfing it
Wow I normally run 3,650 pounds on my Enzo, and sometimes close to 4,000 depending on the side, and it creates an absolutely beautiful wave. That amount of weight is insane. I burned 34 gallons yesterday with about 4 hours of riding. How much are you burning per hour with all that weight?

It is outstanding that someone of your size can enjoy wakesurfing.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-10-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
dude i dont know what it is about this boat but i went threw 45 gallons in 12 hours. has to be one of the easiest boats on gas. and i have got 15-16hrs out of a tank before i put those extra 2 sacks in. and this weekend i was teaching people also so that burned up alot.
Old     (jasonyng)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-10-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
I got out again yesterday and it defiantly needed more weight in the front. I ran front pnp 950 full and rear surf side hard tank and pnp full, wedge down, wave was much better.

I need even more weight up front and then I might be able to run more in the rear. Trying to decide between SL 650 or the FlyHigh 1000. I might also run another sac on the top of surf side seat.

Thanks for the help.

Jason
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-10-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
i got the 1100 in rear locker 950 musroom under play pen. then flyhigh 1000 triangle in playpen minus cushions. the get way water logged. (have been drying mine for a month now and they still have water in them.) and 800 sumo floor sack is a great set up. i ran more weight then that this weekend, boat didnt like it as much but the wave was way bigger and more push. i am going to the 2315 prop.