Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Do these always leak???

my drain fittings are apparently leaking like crazy. not enough to kick the bilge pump on, but definitely had some very wet carpet under the bags when we got done on sunday. Since the whole "quick disconnect" thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyway, I thought about just plumbing them in with more solid hardware to keep the carpet drier. anyone done this?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
The rubber seals might be dry or worn out. Might need to use some vaseline or something else on the rubber to recondition it. They shouldn't leak at all.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-16-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Mine don't leak... Are you leaking at the disconnect or are you leaking around the threads where you are screwing into the bag. Tighten those fittings and use plumbers tape on the threads when you put them on. See if that helps.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2014, 12:31 PM Reply   
ahah! I didn't use any tape.... and just hand tightened them. Bags and fittings are new, so it has to be threaded connects. Thanks fellas.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-16-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
If you don't want them to leak you have to use pvc cement. The o-rings don't do much even when new as you can get enough torque on the fitting to compress them.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
Very common for the threads to back off and allow water to leak, A PVC cement with hold them in place keeping the oring compressed.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2014, 4:34 PM Reply   
Mine never leaked. No tape, no cement.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-18-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
How would you get them apart if you use PVC cement? Teflon or pipe dope sounds like the best method here
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2014, 8:26 AM Reply   
Most of them come from the factory with PVC cement if they came OEM in your boat. Let me tell you they are a pain to get off. Heat gun and lots of work. I am totally content with plumbers tape and getting them good and tight.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-18-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
How would you get them apart if you use PVC cement? Teflon or pipe dope sounds like the best method here

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpW_x9MeAQo

It definitely works! I first tried my heat gun but if you follow this video to a T it is simple and easy.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
Great video.... Good job wakemakers... I always just heat it and then try and unscrew it off. That looks way easier.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-18-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Great video.... Good job wakemakers... I always just heat it and then try and unscrew it off. That looks way easier.

It works great. I tried it with flip flops and a heat gun with no luck, shoes and a hair dryer is the way to go.