Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
anybody have any tips for getting better mileage out of a vehicle? I decided to check the mileage on my Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7 V8 and I'm only gettin 11.3 mpg in town. That seems low for not that big of an a truck or engine. Routine oil change is about the only maintenance I've done. Thanks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-22-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
New air filter can help,
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-22-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
get a diesel you'll really see a difference
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-22-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
I've been looking for some things to do to my 2000 Expedition with the 5.4L. I've never gotten more than 11 or 12 mpg. Highway(hand calculated). I heard of the EDGE programmers but I don't want to spend $300 to get an 1 extra mpg.

Jeremy to help you out, my friend has a 2001 dodge durango which I'm almost positive has the same engine. He put in a cold air intake and when he took it to the shop to get new tires, they accidentally put on slightly smaller tires. I definitely think the tires and intake helped because he has claimed to have gotten 19 mpg. on the highway recently.(hand calculated)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-22-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Air Filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs make a big difference. I do the plugs in my K2500 Suburban every 15-20K, but it also burns oil, 8.1L issue, so the plugs get coked. Fuel filter needs to be replaced around 30K at the most. Air filter should be around 10-15K depending on dirt collected. Plugs are usually trashed around the 40K mark.

Flush the injectors and de-carbonize the engine, for less detonation and a cleaner spray pattern. The best way is with a machine. Should cost around $140. I have proof it works.

The BEST way to increase fuel mileage...SLOW DOWN!

By GPS my 496 cubic inch engine (8.1L)got 11.7 miles per gallon at 70 miles per hour, with 2,000 in the back of it. Traveling from Los Angeles to San Francisco. I would hope a smaller V8 in a smaller vehicle would be proportionally better. I had a PCM reprogrammed to make more power and remove torque management again for more power, not better fuel economy too. Barely went one size up on tires, and I would never use anything but the best a factory air filter. I have considered modifying the air box, which is how a cold air intake actually gains it's power, not from a K$N style filter.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-22-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Slow starts, light foot, will probably raise your mileage by 20% or more. Drive it like there is an egg setting on the dash. Let it upshift early.

Option 2, buy a Prius second car, that's what I did.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-22-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
^^^^^ best advice. It is amazing how much a heavy foot hurts your mileage.

Just go drive a Prius and watch the MPG gauge as you drive - crazy sensitive.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-22-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Thats about par for what I saw in my Dakota. Mopar engines of that era just aren't known for great mileage.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
use cruise control on the highway and drive the speed limit.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-23-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
If you have enough money to go out and buy a new Prius to get better gas mileage you have too much money. It would take years for it to pay for itself in the aspect of saving fuel over a truck.

There are alot of older cars that do just as well on gas. My brother had a 95 Nissan Sentra that got 34-35. My 99 Camaro gets 28-30.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       01-23-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
Smaller tires have more rotations, so the mileage shown on your odometer will not be true mileage, so the fuel economy calculated would be wrong.

The Dodge 4.7 is notorious for bad mileage. If you don't off road, get highway radials. That will help a little.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-23-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Hawk sounds like you need to get a new tow vehicle for that new boat
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-23-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
In addition to above on tire pressure/rotations, air filters (I use K&N), plugs, the biggest thing is how you drive. You can get one of these gauges that will tell you how much fuel you are consuming and if you look at the gauge, you will automatically start burning less by burying the throttle less and coasting more. The gauge by itself does nothing technically, but it does alter your thinking on how you drive.

http://www.scangauge.com/
Old     (bigdave0924)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-25-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Run a can of seafoam through the engine with a full tank of gas.
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-25-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
I like how a lot of people are like go buy a prius. Hahaha I can buy a lot of diesel or gas for what a new car costs. The sea foam is a good idea and def. go thru and change plugs, plug wires, air and fuel filter and keep your foot out of the floor.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
"Hahaha I can buy a lot of diesel or gas for what a new car costs."

Hahaha...you have no idea how wrong you are. I bought a Prius and have discovered it saves me more than I had hoped. I went from $900 a month in fuel expenses down to $250 average. The difference is more than a car payment. Let alone the half hour a day I save by using the carpool lane solo.

Back to the suggestions for fuel savings. bmartin said one of the better suggestions and that is tire pressure. It can be good for 2 miles per gallon. Well worth investing in a good gauge and checking them regularly.