Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (amateurgurl)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Hi, I'm a beginner here so I feel a bit embarassed! I've gone about 6 times an hour each. The past two times I have made NO progress and I feel like I can't improve no more. I am on the verge of giving up! Would like some advice concerning two things:
1) Heelside Jump
Sometimes if I'm fluky I can jump. But it's not high and it just feels like I'm skimming the wake. I'm not getting enough air, I can get distance because I think I have speed but that's it. I know what to do, toeside out, flatten board wait for string tension, then heelside in with elbows near torso and arms low and when I'm almost at the wake, push handle down and extend legs. I can never get it right though, perhaps it is timing. My coach says I'm not digging my heels deep enough when I'm going back into the wake heelside, but I feel like I don't have enough time! He said I only need to be about, 10 ft or so away from the wake, but I just can't seem to coordinate everything in such a short time to get that pop. He said I'm all speed, but not doing it right. I know what to do, but can't execute. Very frustrated.

2) Surface 180 and blind 180
I can do surface 180 and ride fakie, but have problems going back my usual foot forward which is weird! Also, starting to learn blind 180 and when my back is facing the boat I can never pass the handle to my other hand in time and end up with a faceplant!

I'm learning so slow.. and feels like I've hit a plateau in my progress *sighs*}
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
This is a sport that takes forever to master! Give yourself some time and listen to your coach since he seems to have solid advice. To me it sounds like you are on a very normal learning curve and that you just need a little more time on the water. Have fun and let it come to you.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
6 times? Be glad you have someone trying to help and aren't doing this blind. Stop complaining and worrying about your riding and remember that you're supposed to be having fun out there. Go get comfortable on your board, do some carving, lip slide on the wake, olly back and forth and have fun. If you're comfortable on your board lots of this will fix itself. I wouldn't expect anyone to be comfortable after 6 times!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
^^^ what they said...

If it helps, when edging in, think about showing the bottom of the board to the boat, that way youll be digging in your heels. Also try not to squat too far down, keep your waist in front of your shoulders (as opposed to when your squatting down and you push your butt out the back)
Old     (amateurgurl)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-14-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes I guess I rush things a bit! Will take this advice, have fun, and keep trying =)