Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                05-03-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
I need some expert advice.....

My girlfriend just got up on a board, and now expects me to share the fun and drive for once . She needs bindings and a board.

She's tried Spins, but her heel rises in them. A wide front of her feet prevents her from cinching them down without crushing her toes...She wants to look at user friendly bindings that have FIRM backs and keep her heel down. She's also interested in a board that tracks well...Suggestions? Thanks!! No hurry though...it just means more runs for me
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-03-2005, 8:45 PM Reply   
huh? sorry? what are you asking? lol sorry
Old                05-03-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
Ashly-Sorry, I'll type louder next time...
Old                05-04-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
i have liquid force alpha's on my board
they are mens but fit my foot perfectly
i have a small foot but am totally anal about keeping the entire foot IN the boot and i don't like a lot of movement, but also don't want my foot to fall asleep ;)
i tried about 6 different bindings last season and those won by far.
my advice: take her to your local boardshop and have them set her up w/ some demo bindings.
then she can find the right ones before dropping a bunch of cash w/o ever actually trying the boot

good luck:-)
Old                05-05-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
We'll checkum out! Thanks for the input....

She liked the bindings at first, but the more she rides, the less she likes em...and she wants to replace them without skipping a run! I better start lookin! We've already been reading the other threads too....

Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
I also have the Alpha's. 2004 model, size M. I wear a 7-7.5 shoe. They are extrememly comfortable, and are really formed around my heel. I hurt my knee last year because I was wearing the wrong sized binding, among other problems. I won't do that again. Good luck!
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
I have the Alpha's and I do not find them comfortable due to an extremely wide and flat foot. The footbed has an arch that cramps my foot up. I would not suggest them for a wide foot.
Old                05-05-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
I have the alphas, size m and i wear a 9. However, if you dont mind spending some more money, go for the Minx as they are super high quality. Also, for a tracking board find a Team, or the girls version the Angel. I know where you can get them, as I just so happen to manage a wakeboard proshop. www.skierswharfextreme2.com
Old                05-05-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Oh GREAT, now I'm confused...(my head hurts!!)

Appreciate the Alpha and minx suggestions....

Melissa---if your foot wasn't flat, would the bindings work for you? My girlfriend's foot is usually on my neck somewhere, so I never get a good look at them. I can't remember if she has arches or not, but I know they're wide up front....

Courtney--- Cost is not really an issue....She just doesn't want her feet to move, but she wants to be able to get into them easily...Are Byerlys available in her size (7?)
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
You know Joe, I jus't don't know (wow that ryhmes). I think they would be ok. They don't hurt in the toes or anything. It is pretty much just the arch. They are really good basic bindings and I wish they fit me better.
Old                05-06-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
WE have a winnnah!!

She likes the minx bindings....Her foot wouldn't budge in em' when she tried them on! Funny though, they came off pretty easy when I told her I didn't have my wallet with me! ....She said we could come back and try em on again later ......

I don't know that we'll be able to demo anything around here though. Her foot was loose in the other bindings we tried on her.......If anyone has other input/ideas, I'm all ears......

Shan, Misty, Melissa, Courtney-Thanks for the quick input!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
Congrats on finding her something she likes!! Now what about the board??
Old                05-07-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
We've run into a situation.....She wants a PINK good tracking board if one is out there . She's flexible though....

I'm thinkin' she'll have trouble there. She'll have to use my Parks while we are lookin' around. Any help there would be good too...She didn't like the board at all with the fins off. She's about 5'4", 120, and determined to get to her fightin' weight 110-115...
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2005, 9:33 PM Reply   
LF has an '05 board called the Angel. Its purty, with pink and purple, and all glittery imbedded under the gel coat. Its a beautiful board. I have looked at it, but haven't demo'd it. I have talked to a few different shops, and have heard all good things about it (take that with a grain of salt). Good luck!!
Old                05-07-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
Thanks, Misty--She was eyeballin' that board, both 130 and 134....I can't get a good look at the bottom by the pics, but it appears to have a wide center channel. Can you compare it to a similar HL? I'll be checking around to see if someone has one to look at....

We'll be on the water at 6a on Sunday, so another few runs will help her confirm what kind of ride she's lookin for. Thanks again for the input!!

I guess we gotta figure out a board length too...
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-09-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
The LF Diva is a pretty pink board too. I dont know if you are looking specifically at HL, or are open to others. Have you looked at the board reviews? They show the friend and back of all the boards, along with a summary. Good place to start research. I have to go by my shop in the next few days. I will take a look at the boards upclose again, and see what I can figure out for you.
Old                05-09-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
Misty-- Thanks! I think the board is gonna be down the road a piece....we are borrowing boards for demos right now too....
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
right on... doesnt matter, so long as she is riding though!! There are a few girls in our crew that are strictly boat fluff. We are trying to get them riding this year. Its great to see new people up.
Old                05-10-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
She's been waitin for about a year to try....Busted collarbone twice. Once from motorcycle crash and again from TRYING to wakeboard on miscalculated doc clearance 3-4 months ago....

First day cleared this time, she surfed first to test it, and next day popped up on a board.....She's got some fluff potential, but only BETWEEN sets!!

Have you tried to get your fluffy girls to surf first?? I thought it was a great learning tool, cuz it's much slower speed to deal with for reation time, no bindings to deal with, and the falls were nuthin....

Here's Lucy, second run ever...
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
I saw you post in another thread, I think thats so awesome!!! it feels ok for her? she looks like she is doing awesome!! Hadn't thought about surfing first!! I will mention it next time we are all out!! Its a good idea. thanks!
Old                05-10-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Looks like it's gonna hold up ok, but it gets sore at the main break area....She has good form and edges well (she likes her toe side better too), but she's still unsteady for now.

She's had the luxury of listening to folks give me pointers for 4-6 months, and brought no prior bad habits to wakeboarding.....And in the meantime, has captained 90% of my boat's hours. She's already given me several good doubleups to crash on....
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
ha ha ha!! yea, sounds like you have yourself a heck of a woman there, Joe. Congrats. Nothing better than a partner willing to share your stoke, and give you good d-ups to crash on.
Old                05-10-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
That's why her screen name is Lucy_fer....It's a living h.......I mean...yessss, she's a wonderful woman.....

It is nice to know your girlfriend says "lets go" when you say "lets go boarding in January at 6A"......and she means it
Old                05-11-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
hey joe, the angel is actually a really good choice for a board for her. it tracks really well and is a continuous rocker, but has really wide tip and tail so she can get good pop when she's ready. and it's super cute!
Old                05-11-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Skatie-I'll shhek it out...
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-16-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
Joe - I ride a Blindside Flower. It is quite a girlie board. I think the 05 have a dragonfly design on them. They track very well.

I am now branching out away from the girlie boards and riding the guys boards some too. So far, I like the 03 byerly finless, the roam and Jeff's board that I don't know what it is.
Old                05-17-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
bsflower--I had brought up considering a "non-girly" board b4.....After she whacked the back of my head, she told me when she progressed enough she would buy one....

She used to race motorcycles competetively, and hated looking like a girl out there. I guess it invited attitude riding from the boy types. Now she wants there to be no guessing....
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-22-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
Hyperlite 20005's have a bunch of pink on them- bright pink -the whole board isn't pink so it's not overly girly while stil lbeing unmistakingly feminine
Old                05-23-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Alexis--I think I know the ones you're talkin' bout....We're checking those out too... She got her bindings on Friday....Minx, and she loves em'!!
Old                06-13-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
It's not pink but the LF Diva, 128 is a pretty purple, very girlie!! I ride the 134, and it has a cool mermaid on it!! They are less expensive than the Angel. Did she try on the LF women's element bindings?? You can package deal a board and bindings for $300. If price doesn't matter, go for the Angel, which you can package deal with the minx bindings for $500. Happy shopping!!