Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                05-22-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
Hi,
This is my first post on this site and I figured this would be the place to ask. I have two daughters ages 15 and 13.
Daughter 1: 5'5" 140 pounds size 8 shoes
Daughter 2: 5'2' 110 pounds size 5 shoes
Both want to learn how to wakeboard. Can they use the same board? Can you recommend some boards?
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-22-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
As for the boards:

You can have both daughters learn to ride on the same board. Because daughter 1 might grow past 140 Lbs, I'd suggest getting a weight range on the board that would accommodate that growth. That being said...go for one that accommodates more than 140 Lbs so you don't have to turn around and buy another board right away. Below are suggestions for female specific boards for beginner riders.

2006 Liquid Force Diva 134 is a great beginner board. It accommodates rider weights from 90 Lbs to 160 Lbs. It's a stable shape that provides a smooth, flowing, and predictable feel. Pretty good tracking on jumps and landings and a gentle release off of the wake.

2006 Hyperlite Eden 130 is also a great beginner board. It accommodates rider weights up to 165 Lbs. It is also stable, smooth, and good for learning on.

2006 O'Brien Vixen 137 is a bit larger of a board but a good beginner board that would accommodate the weight range of both of your daughters. It accommodates rider weights of 100 to 170 Lbs, and is also stable, smooth, and good for learning on. I tend to ride shorter boards myself (5'4" and 120 Lbs) so this one appears to be quite large as my boyfriend rides 134 to 138 and is 5'11" and ranges between 165-175 Lbs.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, please ask. Congratulations on your daughters getting into wakeboarding.

Check out www.girlslearntoride.com some time.

Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-22-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
As for the bindings...go have your girls try them on. They'll let you know what feels right and hopefully the shop staff will assist. Beginner bindings are quick to be replaced.

I love my Liquid Force Minx bindings but since your girls are just getting into wakeboarding, you might consider a less expensive model such as the Liquid Force Element Women's bindings.

As far as fit, I ride one size up from what Liquid Force suggests for sizing because I have broken both of my toes (unrelated to wakeboarding) in the past. The size up widens the front area of the binding so my piggies aren't squished.

I used to ride CWB's Mobe bindings. They were a good entry level binding but not nearly as comfortable as the ones Liquid Force has developed.