Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-27-2018, 8:39 AM Reply   
Im on the way to change my chevy 1500 for a 2018.
for my next truck definitely a 2500.
I don’t hide that I’m a chevy fan. Pretty much always had chevy’s and never been disapointed.

Last week was the city auto show and it really messed up my mind haha.
I’ve got to admit That Ford F-250 was more comfortable than gmc.
But really prefer the GMC look.
Next thing is the engine, gas or diesel? Never had a diesel so I a was thinking gas but the more I made research the more it seems that diesel may be better.

I have my Nautique 210 that I tow monthly. Probably a G21 in couple years.
I tow my trailer for working pretty much always But my boat is definitely the heaviest thing I tow.
Nothing a 1500 5.3 can’t handle. (My present Avalanche 2010)
But had couple hard times towing my boat in and out some lakes. Steep grade boat ramp, crushed stone finish. So I have to think about it, don’t want to mess with that if I’m gonna have a heavier boat in a near future.
But I don’t tow a 6,000 pounds trailer everyday like all 2500 bodies I know. So is diesel really worth it?

Folks here got to have trucks so i think it’s a good place to have that kind of conversation!
What do you think about your Silverado 2500, your GMC Sierra HD or your F250? Wich engine you take? Why you’ve done this choice?
Thanks a lot
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-27-2018, 10:31 AM Reply   
I've liked the look of the Ford's for the past 10 years but the new GMC's are really nice looking.

Both trucks are more then capable for what you need.

Crushed gravel sounds more like a grip issue then a power problem. Are you using 4WD when retrieving the boat?
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-27-2018, 4:45 PM Reply   
The new Ford has came a long way! But GMC for the win!!! Unless your getting a platinum Ford with the new massaging seats. Then I’d go Ford!
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-27-2018, 7:01 PM Reply   
I was hoping to get a Chevy when I was shopping, but the Ford seats just felt like an old pair of sneakers. The Chevy seats just did not work for me. It depends on your body type, being tall and lanky, the truck chooses me. (my head touched the roof in the Dodge). Although I don't have very long to drive daily, if I were not in the most comfortable truck, it would bug me every time. That was back in 2015, FWIW.

I guess the diesel is like getting the supercharged motor in your boat, in your case. Too much power is awesome, but you pay for it up front. I got it because of the toy hauler I pull, even for my G23 a gasser would have done OK for the boat. If the money is not a problem, I would go diesel every time.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-27-2018, 8:44 PM Reply   
Exaxtly what I was thinking. Kind of regretting my choice if I don’t choose the most comfortable.
Yes the look is awesome but at the end of the story it’s in the seat you spend time.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-28-2018, 7:05 AM Reply   
For me I can't stand the look of the Chevy/GMC wheel wells with a round wheel in a square wheel well, just looks odd. Apparently GM thinks so too now because they redesigned the Silverado for 2019 with round wheel wells, so I assume the Sierra and corresponding 3/4 ton models will follow soon. So if you buy one now, you'll have an outdated looking truck in a year or so.

The F-250 was just redesigned completely and they won't be making any major changes till at least 2024. The Ford also has way more technology than the GM variants and it's really nice inside. The GM trucks do have independent front suspensions so they do ride a little nicer than the solid axle F-250's but they also can tow less, but that doesn't seem like it'll be an issue with your uses.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-28-2018, 8:17 AM Reply   
Chevy not having air condition vents in the back seat is a deal breaker for me. Too hot it Texas and our kids are in my backseat a lot.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-28-2018, 12:15 PM Reply   
if you're going with a 3/4 ton, i'd get a diesel. the new duramax engine is a beast. i've had my 2017 for about a year now, and have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       01-28-2018, 12:16 PM Reply   
If you go 2500, you'll definitely want to go diesel for resale value. The 2500 gassers don't hold their value as well because most anyone looking for a 2500 "personal" vehicle will be looking for a diesel (work trucks are different). I tend to chase the rebates because both GM and Ford diesels are amazing, but in this case I would recommend going with the Ford because they just overhauled their trucks. GM is in the process of doing that now and I think the new body is due in 2019 or 2020 which would be a bummer if you drop $60k on a 2018, right before the new body style comes out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-28-2018, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post
For me I can't stand the look of the Chevy/GMC wheel wells with a round wheel in a square wheel well, just looks odd. Apparently GM thinks so too now because they redesigned the Silverado for 2019 with round wheel wells, so I assume the Sierra and corresponding 3/4 ton models will follow soon. So if you buy one now, you'll have an outdated looking truck in a year or so.

The F-250 was just redesigned completely and they won't be making any major changes till at least 2024. The Ford also has way more technology than the GM variants and it's really nice inside. The GM trucks do have independent front suspensions so they do ride a little nicer than the solid axle F-250's but they also can tow less, but that doesn't seem like it'll be an issue with your uses.

------------

Thank you! I owned a 2011 GMC and never got used to the square fender wells. They're awful. The new GMCs / Chevys look incredible aside from that. Especially the Denali.

My .02. If you are are going to get a big heavy truck, don't do yourself the disservice of getting a gas motor. In a heavy HD truck, that gas motor is going to suck gas like nothing you're ever seen, and be underpowered compared to the diesel. Since no one wants them, so you'll take a huge hit when you sell it. The extra 10K you spend on the diesel you'll get back when you sell.

Last year I went from a 1500 GMC to a Ram 2500 Diesel. I love the Fords, but I couldn't stomach the price tag. The GMCs/Chevy's were never an option because of the independent front suspension. If you're going to leave it stock it's fine, but if you plan on leveling the front the ride goes to ****. IMO independent front suspension has no business being on a HD truck.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-28-2018, 5:27 PM Reply   
Thanks,
all your advices really helps me.
That said I think the same thing about Ford, just not standing the price..

Maybe gonna wait a year or two, stack more and take the diesel option.
I wasn’t thinking about the resale value it’s a really good point and it’s true
I’ve checked a little bit on used and gas engine looks rare and stay for sale for a long time.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-28-2018, 5:42 PM Reply   
And for Ram just had bad experiences so it’s a never again thing for me haha..
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-28-2018, 7:03 PM Reply   
I just bought a 2017 f250 platinum with the diesel. I love this truck. Seats are awesome, panoramic sunroof, and tons of stuff not even offered. Chevy 2500 looks ugly now with that dumb azz air scoop as b then the giant DEF tank sitting low by the passenger door is lame. This decision is a slam dunk to me.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-29-2018, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreek216V View Post
Chevy not having air condition vents in the back seat is a deal breaker for me. Too hot it Texas and our kids are in my backseat a lot.
This was a big selling point for me as well, I've got two little girls and was shocked that GM doesn't offer a rear AC / Heat Vent. While I dont live in Texas it still gets hot in NorCal and put the AC to full blast.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       01-30-2018, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmalibu View Post
This was a big selling point for me as well, I've got two little girls and was shocked that GM doesn't offer a rear AC / Heat Vent. While I dont live in Texas it still gets hot in NorCal and put the AC to full blast.
Whats crazy is my 2002 GMC had rear A/C vents .

As for whats better I will never own a ford . EVER lol ..Before you decide go to a few dealer service areas and see how many fords got the cab off for major repairs .