Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-01-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
http://www.activeh2o.com/wordpress/2015-malibu-22-vlx/
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-01-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
I am a Malibu fanboy but I logged in just to say how hard that dash sucks.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
To me it just seems as if there is just so much going on in one screen it almost seems confusing but then again I have never played with any of these newer screens. I'm still reeling from just getting speed set with my new boat.lol.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-01-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
I just went from Mastercraft's 2007 analog dash to the 2010 BIG dash (or whatever they are called it). I wish I could go back. I have a feeling I will never like all the new electronics in these things. I feel old at 34. It just seems to me that rocker switches and analog gauges were so much easier to deal with.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-01-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdb View Post
I just went from Mastercraft's 2007 analog dash to the 2010 BIG dash (or whatever they are called it). I wish I could go back. I have a feeling I will never like all the new electronics in these things. I feel old at 34. It just seems to me that rocker switches and analog gauges were so much easier to deal with.
They seem like a safer bet to me as well. Not sure why anyone would think computers & boats were a good idea
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-01-2014, 9:09 PM Reply   
Well, that's how the manufacturers justify charging $100k+ for these boats.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-06-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
ironically while the screen is bigger and has more "images" after seeing a 15 they actually moved a number of functions away from the screen and went to analog switches. Specifically the wedge and surfgate functionality are on switches now, which in my opinion is a good change.

the bad change is that they no longer have any gauges, it is all in the screen.

Last edited by kskonn; 08-06-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: additional info
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-06-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
While on vacation down in Idaho, I stopped in to grab a new rope and handle and got a quick peak at the new VLX and LSV. Nice boats. I liked a lot of what they did with the LSV but where is the storage? Severely lacking. No comparison to a MC or Nautique. There isn't even a foot of storage in the whole bow. He claimed this was because of the massive bow ballast. Salesman said OTD price was $120-130k USD. Really? He also told me how surfgate is the best wave in the industry, NOTHING comes close, and when I told him I had a 2013 MC, he said to me "I should wash your mouth out with soap" and continued to tell me how the X30 wave isn't even in the same league and how surfgate is so much better than Gen2 or NSS. A salesman like that sure leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth, I should wash it with soap maybe like he suggested.

If you are about salesman, don't be a douche like this, show customers more respect than that.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
While on vacation down in Idaho, I stopped in to grab a new rope and handle and got a quick peak at the new VLX and LSV. Nice boats. I liked a lot of what they did with the LSV but where is the storage? Severely lacking. No comparison to a MC or Nautique. There isn't even a foot of storage in the whole bow. He claimed this was because of the massive bow ballast. Salesman said OTD price was $120-130k USD. Really? He also told me how surfgate is the best wave in the industry, NOTHING comes close, and when I told him I had a 2013 MC, he said to me "I should wash your mouth out with soap" and continued to tell me how the X30 wave isn't even in the same league and how surfgate is so much better than Gen2 or NSS. A salesman like that sure leaves a bad taste in a persons mouth, I should wash it with soap maybe like he suggested.

If you are about salesman, don't be a douche like this, show customers more respect than that.
Was that in CDA at Hagadone?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-06-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
he said to me "I should wash your mouth out with soap"
So douchey, but that is hilarious!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-06-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
"I should wash your mouth out with soap"
You should have manslapped him. See definition below.

Manslap- The act of being slapped in the face by another man with a stern face and a furrow in his brow. A necessary gesture and action to quickly check a man and put him in his place, undeserving of a typical punch.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
I can't imagine anybody saying that without a crap eating grin and just in good fun. If he was even somewhat serious though that is ridiculous.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-06-2014, 4:34 PM Reply   
It was the dealer in Courdalane (I believe it was CDA).

The salesman was an older fellow and was sarcastic as hell, I just didn't care for him I guess.

There were a lot of really nice touches on the 2015s. Well thought out and designed. I would love to own an LSV too, a very nice boat. All he could talk about was surfgate though. That must be the BIG sales pitch. Surfing is a distant second on my list so it didn't wow me but I can see why new buyers would be swayed by it. I think in the end all the surf systems do the same thing.
Old     (Watersportslover)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-23-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
I have a mastercraft x-10 2014 I love my dash they touch screen in the bottom right hidden the on on top original gauges all billet and classic look with new tech I think it just looks the best
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-23-2014, 6:11 PM Reply   
I think the dash is awesome. Just not going to give them 85K for it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2014, 12:18 AM Reply   
Having ridden both a surfgate wake and a NSS wake. I can say that the wake on the Malibu seemed to wrap around you from the rear more and had a ton of height and length. It is definitely an awesome surf wake.
The NSS on the G25 was a very clean wake and also seemed to wrap around the back, but not quite as much. It was able to be tuned a lot more precisely and you could tune it from a big freaking wall of water down to a nice smooth skim wake. I believe this is because NSS has the waveplate to adjust the attitude of it, whereas the Malibu has the wedge, which while useful in simulating more ballast, isn't as versatile in wake shaping.

Either way, both are awesome systems, saying that Surfgate is "so much better" is ridiculous though. If compared apples to apples without factoring the waveplate, they would be on pretty equal ground. Both designs are very sound in switching sides and making a great clean surf wave.

I have ridden both factory surf gate and NSS systems and aftermarket home brew versions. All of them work like you'd expect and deliver a great riding experience.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2014, 12:31 AM Reply   

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2014, 12:35 AM Reply   
From my demo last week...

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2014, 11:28 AM Reply   
What's your thoughts after the demo, how different is it from the previous version vlx?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-24-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Kinda digging the tower cans and grills. I assume they are using Rev8 & Rev10 drivers in them right?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2014, 9:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
What's your thoughts after the demo, how different is it from the previous version vlx?
surf wave is definitely taller & longer than the previous vlx... almost as good as my '14 LSV.

In fact, the boat inside felt alot like my LSV. Just a bit shorter in the cabin, but just as deep and wide.

I loved the new dash. Home run!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2014, 10:36 PM Reply   
Did you check the wakeboard wake?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
If the wakeboard wake is anything like the new LSV it's going to rock.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Did you check the wakeboard wake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
If the wakeboard wake is anything like the new LSV it's going to rock.

We only surfed. But considering the rest of the boat is basically a mini-LSV, I have no doubt it rocks.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-27-2014, 10:03 PM Reply   
The official Malibu spokesman has arrived...
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-28-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
DBC is a Malibu guy ? Rumor has it he was seen demoing a G23 loaded with all Wetsouds yesterday in Newberg .... Just saying ....
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-28-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-28-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
That wave looks so weird to me. So flat and wide on top - no lip. It looks a little listed there too.
Old    rullery            08-28-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
I gotta say they need to hire a better user interface designer for these screens. Holy hell that is bad, especially for something so integral to the whole experience of driving the boat. I'll also say this goes for most if not all boat brands for that matter.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2014, 7:45 AM Reply   
Has anyone wakeboarded behind the new VLX? I'm looking for a review and a comparison of the new VLX and MXZ.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-29-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Has anyone wakeboarded behind the new VLX? I'm looking for a review and a comparison of the new VLX and MXZ.

Nobody wakeboards anymore! Frustrating isn't it!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-29-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicron View Post
nobody wakeboards anymore! Frustrating isn't it!
preach brother!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I'd say the new LSV wake is a lot like the MXZ wake, so if this boat is like that it will be very similar, just not as peaky
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-29-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Exactly what I was thinking...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
Hmmm. I like the steepness of the MXZ. The shape is consistently good and lippy regardless of weight changes. I was hoping the VLX was steeper and lippy like the MXZ.

I don't enjoy surfing, so the "wave" is not interesting to me.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-29-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
It's because only old men can afford these boats...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2014, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
The official Malibu spokesman has arrived...
Nice jab...

Funny thing, Bama... there was a time when people on this forum accused me of being Mr. MB (before your time)... maybe they'll call me a different name when/if I buy something else.

There are lots of other inboards I like, but for now, the family is happy with the Bu's and out local dealer who treats us so well.

Cheers!

Last edited by ixfe; 08-29-2014 at 3:01 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2014, 12:02 AM Reply   
Yeah, little did we know you were a sleeper Mr MaliBu
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-11-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
And another!
Malibu Boats 22 VLX by Bucky Images, on Flickr