Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
I am trying to decide between Wetsounds or Exile for tower speakers. As was revealed last week, my new MB will come equipped with Exile in-boats. My gut say everything should match, but curious to hear your experiences with each set up and what you might do given my situation. I have never heard Exile before but have owned Wetsounds and have always been pleased. Setups I am considering:

WETSOUNDS:
REV10 - 1 pair
1 SYN 4
WS420

EXILE:
XM9 - 1 pair
1 XM30.2 Amplifier
ZLD EQ

I want to be able to use the boat the rest of the season, so I'd rather not deal with a complete stereo delete from the factory just to go all Wetsounds upfront. What would you do in my situation?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
This will start a war, but oh well.... I think we all know they are both high quality set ups, so go with what you want instead of listening to a bunch of people type opinions online.... They are both top of the line and you are going to be happy.

From the perspective of coming as a factory option on your MB, why not go Exile. They are installing it all for you. No headaches of install. Dealer warranties everything that was installed. Exile stuff is solid, just like Wetsounds stuff.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
IMO the price for the exile installed from the factory is too high, so I'm considering all my options.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Not sure any pricing, but I heard the factory MB setups in the past had been underpowered to save on costs. Basically all brand name appeal, but not powered right. Not supposed to be the case now.
DISCLAIMER- only what I have heard from reliable mb source, might not be accurate.....
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-23-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
IMO the price for the exile installed from the factory is too high, so I'm considering all my options.

I'm with Tyler... I like things uniform in the boat. But that's my inner OCD coming out. Besides, I have two pair of XM9's on my tower (30.2 amp) and they will blow your mind. The good news is if you decide to add a 2nd pair later you absolutely can on that same 30.2 amp.

My guess is doing Exile on your own is also somewhat cheaper than WS. At least that's what my buddies with WS have told me.

Out of curiosity, what are they charging from the factory?

Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-23-2014, 2:48 PM Reply   
The Exiles will run well on the XM30.2. I have 2 pair of XM9’s bridged on 1 XM30.2 now and they are loud & clear. Like concert loud!! My wife said to me last weekend that the stereo was so loud it hurt her ears while she was surfing. I wasn't even pushing it hard. I was so proud. That’s one of the nicest things she has ever said to me…. Rev 10’s are bad ass though and second to none… You can't go wrong with either brand.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2014, 4:37 PM Reply   
By comparison, the past MB model years had an OEM in-boat setup that was not anything to sneeze at.

2012 had a Wet Sounds Syn-4 driving the 10fa @ 400W rms and the 4 main cabin speakers @ 100W rms to each. Bow pair on the head-unit. Not my favorite thing, but they are by no means the only manufacturer to leave the bow pair on the head-unit.

The 2013's ive been in had a Wet Sounds HT-6. 300W to the 10fa sub, 110W rms available to each of the bow in-boats and 75w rms to each of the 4 main cabin in-boats.

To compare the tower setups listed by the OP, heres how they shake out:
Rev-10 = 10" mid-bass driver and 2" voice coil compression driver in a larger pod driven with 400W rms each. More power handling, more output and deeper mid-bass extension. If there could be a 2nd pair in the future, then consider the SD-2. 310W rms to each of the 4, as opposed to 210W rms for 2 pair of speakers on the xm30.2

xm9 = 8" mid-bass driver and 1.5" voice coil compression driver in smaller pod driven with 300W rms (p/the manufacturer)

WS-420SQ or BT = Dual eq outputs so the in-boats and towers can be tweaked independently.

ZLD = single eq that effects both the tower and in-boat zone simultaneously.

Just a few of the highlights. Getting a chance to demo both is best way to cement the decision.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-23-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
I have had both. luv both. I think the rev 10 is amazing, i had xm7s' not 9's but have friends with 9's and they sound great, not as deep or smooth, but powerful. the exile swivel clamp is the best period. anyone who disagrees is crazy.lol seriously the best. I have all wet sound and wouldn't change it for exile. i think the in boats are much less of an issue than the sub and tower. If i had all exile in a brand new boat, i would buy the exile. It s not because they sound better, its more of an OCD thing, i like symmetry and that would finish the "like" items and I would still be happy with them. I also think its much easier to get help from others for tuning and questions when its all designed for each other. good luck
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-23-2014, 5:24 PM Reply   
for sake of symmetry (and resale, if that's a concern), I'd match the towers to the interior stuff.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
The current MB's run the WS HT series amps and with regards to the tower they're underpowered by the HT2. There is no wrong choice here but hands down I'd go with the matching product. Although I'd go two pairs of SQT9.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-24-2014, 11:04 AM Reply   
ixfe, still waiting on final pricing but the initial price was more than I could do it myself. Waiting to hear back.

Thank you all for the input, glad to hear many of you are pleased with Exile. I will report back what I decide to do and of course installed pics
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-24-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I totally get the desire for brand continuity.

Here's the part that concerns me....just ONE PAIR of tower speakers.

I think that if we removed the brands from the equation and looked at a 'single pair' of tower speakers almost everyone would elect to go with a 10-inch versus an 8-inch. The 10" has about 2/3 more surface area and nearly double the pod displacement. More power handling and more output for projection, plus lower midbass extension and a warmer balance for near field listening. Not to mention that in this configuration and impedance load, about 1/3 more amplifier power. Together (more surface area and more power) that's like double the speaker.

On the flipside, dropping down in size but going with two pair of 8-inch Exile XM9s or two pair of 8-inch Wetsounds Rev8s with the appropriate power would satisfy just about everyone. But with a single pair, you can't be certain that one pair of 8"s would be a permanent solution. Many run a single pair of 10"s without any need to upgrade. Of course much of this decision would depend on whether you need strong projection at wake range or just surf range. There's no doubt that either single pair of 8"s can project and be heard at wake range but there is a major difference in authority.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-24-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
I totally get the desire for brand continuity.

Here's the part that concerns me....just ONE PAIR of tower speakers.

I think that if we removed the brands from the equation and looked at a 'single pair' of tower speakers almost everyone would elect to go with a 10-inch versus an 8-inch. The 10" has about 2/3 more surface area and nearly double the pod displacement. More power handling and more output for projection, plus lower midbass extension and a warmer balance for near field listening. Not to mention that in this configuration and impedance load, about 1/3 more amplifier power. Together (more surface area and more power) that's like double the speaker.

On the flipside, dropping down in size but going with two pair of 8-inch Exile XM9s or two pair of 8-inch Wetsounds Rev8s with the appropriate power would satisfy just about everyone. But with a single pair, you can't be certain that one pair of 8"s would be a permanent solution. Many run a single pair of 10"s without any need to upgrade. Of course much of this decision would depend on whether you need strong projection at wake range or just surf range. There's no doubt that either single pair of 8"s can project and be heard at wake range but there is a major difference in authority.
I agree with David on this. Why only one pair? You can tell I was hinting at two pairs with my comment about the Xi30.2 supporting either one or two pair of XM9's. I did that because I assumed you'd be adding a second pair at some point (I assume the same is possible with the WS line). Saying you only want one pair is likely motivated by a desire to keep the cost in check, which I can appreciate. But ultimately you will end up with four tower speakers... believe that!

One pair of Rev10's is an interesting option. I know a few guys running that who say it's plenty... I wonder how the pricing pencils out between one pair of Rev10's + whatever WS amp they require vs. Two pairs of XM9's + the Xi30.2 amp. I bet it's close.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-24-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
I can't imagine what a pair of 8" HLCD's sounds like In midbass extension.
I'm not going to name my set up, but it is my first HLCD set up, and I was surprised at how bright they still are.
My next set up will definitely be a dual woofer, single horn, like a rev410 for example, to calm the horn.
We don't wakeboard much, and it's a bit rough on the ears at surf range.
For me at least, but again this is my first go around with HLCD.
But boy do they pump some sound!
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-24-2014, 4:00 PM Reply   
So I guess what I am trying to get at, is get the largest woofer you can with your HLCD set up. You'll be thankful you did
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-24-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I agree with David on this. Why only one pair? You can tell I was hinting at two pairs with my comment about the Xi30.2 supporting either one or two pair of XM9's. I did that because I assumed you'd be adding a second pair at some point (I assume the same is possible with the WS line). Saying you only want one pair is likely motivated by a desire to keep the cost in check, which I can appreciate. But ultimately you will end up with four tower speakers... believe that!

One pair of Rev10's is an interesting option. I know a few guys running that who say it's plenty... I wonder how the pricing pencils out between one pair of Rev10's + whatever WS amp they require vs. Two pairs of XM9's + the Xi30.2 amp. I bet it's close.
Actually the price isn't that close.
The Exile (2) pair XM9, XM30.2 & ZLD is $3050.
The Wetsounds (1) pair Rev10, Syn4 & WS420 is $2100.
The zone package discount % for both should be the same.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-24-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post

Well it looks like the "special" combo price on a package of 4 xm9's and a 30.2 is $2475

On pair of rev10's with fixed clamps and a syn4 amp to push them is $1800 msrp.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-24-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
Oh hell here we go :-)
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-24-2014, 5:55 PM Reply   
So if my (terrible) math is correct you would be paying 37.5% more money for 2 pair of xm9's and in return getting 28% more speaker surface area than one pair of rev 10's.

Last edited by ryanw209; 07-24-2014 at 5:58 PM.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-24-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
eh Math? David your uber tech but missed some math on this one I think? I pulled the following from each company website.

Exile (all in cost 2475.00)
2 pr XM9 + 30.2 amp = 2475.00
spin clamp - comes with it
Bag covers- comes with it

WS (all in cost 2075.00)
1 pr Rev10 + Syn4 1750.00
spin clamp + 200.00
Bag covers + 125.00

The Exile system uses Full Range Class D amp
The WS system uses the Class H amp.

It strikes me the Exile system would give the user more coverage with sound field spread having 4 speakers.The WS system would give the user more bottom end being a bigger enclosure and driver. But I'm guessing this boat has the Xi12" sub in the MB so I'd rather have smaller enclosures on the tower and more bottom end off the sub. If the user bought the Exile system directly from the boat mfg, he’d get a 3 year warranty, doesn’t have to install it or pay for that either. Price might rise some, but seems like a winner to me.

-Brian / Exile
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-24-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
Was going to comment on the amp suggestions.
I think the SD2 is more similar in comparing what is being used with exile.
And the SD2 is bookoo bucks
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-24-2014, 6:39 PM Reply   
Hate to muddy the water, but what if a guy could get 4 REV8s with SYN4 for around $2000?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-24-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
So if my (terrible) math is correct you would be paying 37.5% more money for 2 pair of xm9's and in return getting 28% more speaker surface area than one pair of rev 10's.
ryan,
And in this scenario you would have 400 watts to each of two Wetsounds Rev10s and 210 watts to each of four Exile XM9s.
28% more total surface area constitutes a +1 dB advantage.
400 watts per each speaker versus 210 watts per each speaker times double the speakers constitutes less than a +.5 dB advantage.
So a 1.5 dB total SPL increase in four smaller speakers versus two larger speakers.
An advantage in lower midbass extension in favor of the two larger speakers.
Trade-offs both ways.

However, the OP raised the question of two Exile 8-inch with 300 watts to each versus two Wetsounds 10-inch with 400 watts to each. Add +2 dB for the larger 10-inch with 2/3 more surface area and +1 dB for 1/3 more power for a total of a +3 dB advantage in favor of the Wetsounds, plus, don't overlook the deeper midbass extension from the larger driver with a larger pod. In this case, the one that the OP inquired about, the Wetsounds would cost a bit more but offer a more substantial performance increase for that dollar increase.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-24-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Hate to muddy the water, but what if a guy could get 4 REV8s with SYN4 for around $2000?
You would not package four Rev8s with a Syn4 but you could use a Syn2. That would be 175 watts per each Wetsounds 8-inch speaker which % wise is very close to the 210 watts per each Exile 8-inch speaker when running four.
In the case of four Rev8s I would instead strongly recommend the Wetsounds SD2. Yes, it's a big jump in cost but you are going from 210 watts to each of four speakers with the Exile up to 300 watts to each of the four Wetsounds speakers....nearly a 50% increase in power.
The Wetsounds SD2 on four Wetsounds Rev8s is a perfectly balanced combination that gets the most from the speakers.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-25-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
The larger driver in the Rev10 is gonna make a big difference. Also, if you order the boat with nothing, it's not that big of a deal to do a complete job in a day or 2.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-25-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have ran both Wetsounds and Exile on my boats , currently I'm running all Exile on my tower and they are great ! I'm sure whatever you pick will be a great complement to your new boat. My experience with Brain and Exile has been absolutely top notch and I would also take into consideration dealer support. A lot of stories on here about Brain and his crew getting product you guys in a time crunch and they are easy to get ahold of when needed. Both are great speakers , my personal opinion the Exiles are a bit crisper sounding but those Revs are loud !!! maybe a great solution would be a pair of each .... when playing " turn down for what " at max volume turn on those Revs ... While enjoying a day of boating and surfing let the Exiles handle it.