Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-23-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAXMqxwol8

Thought this was a simple powerful message.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-23-2016, 10:42 AM Reply   
So the moral of the story is that managers are idiots. Those idiots can take one of two modes of operation. They can bark orders of idiocracy that are counter intuitive to what those with the information would do OR they can step back and give managerial responsibility to those who have the information and let them make their own decisions. In either scenario I have to wonder what the purpose of having a manager is. Why have one at all? That doesn't mean I agree with this.

Managers used to be promoted from within a company. That means they used to have the information. Now managerial skill is prized above other skills so managers are hired based on their ability to manage instead of their knowledge of how a company works. They are hired from another company or because they have a degree from a good manager school. They don't have any information beyond management. Nobody stays with a company long enough to be promoted from within because people under management are treated poorly and the only way to get significant increases in pay is to change your employer. Your employer isn't going to promote you to management anyway because they don't value your experience. It isn't management experience. You don't know how to bark orders that conflict with the information or you don't know how to just sit back and let those who know what they're doing do it.
I guess this little video just seemed to be missing the most important part which was: What did the sub captain actually do?
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-23-2016, 11:41 AM Reply   
The sub captain does come up through the ranks and knows the business of the submarine. However, the captain is responsible to his crew and to the mission assigned. The captain is still managing the sub by allocating resources and communicating the intent of the mission assigned so that the captain can motivate the crew to work together and find the best way to accomplish the mission. The captain cannot be down in the weeds of the operation micromanaging every detail of the day to day operations, but that is becoming more commonplace in today's military. If the captain is too heads down in daily operations then the captain misses the big picture and lacks the clarity to communicate and motivate his people to realize the end goals. The captain should also operate like an offensive line, be a filter of BS so his people can worry about their technical jobs and keep them from being slowed down with bureaucracy BS.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-24-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
A sub captain may come up through the ranks BUT if you listen to the video, this particular sub captain didn't. He professes his ignorance of submarine operations right off the bat in the beginning of the video.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-24-2016, 7:45 PM Reply   
I think you missed the point of the video.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-25-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
Excellent Video.

An excellent example of this in use: The scene from Apollo 13 where all the engineers/scientists are in the room and the head guy (played by Ed Harris) gave them the objective and let them figure it out. If Ed Harris' character would have tried to figure it out first and then convey exactly what he wanted, the astronauts would be dead.

I think this can even apply to raising kids. Mine are fine young adults now, but in hindsight, I wish I had empowered them more rather give advice on what I'd do.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-26-2016, 8:28 AM Reply   
That video makes me miss the Navy. So many smart and talented people.

The company I work for... and every one before that... does, more often than not, promote from within. My current CEO, CFO, Treasurer, Business Unit CFO's, are all fairly tenured employees. Yes, occasionally a sales leader will be brought in from outside, but that's because they have tons of valuable experience to bring to their organization. I'm sure it does happen, where you get some green MBA grad who's put in a position of leadership at a company because his dad, or some political connections, but that's mostly Hollywood crap.

Having said that, promoting from within has its challenges when it comes to implementing an empowered workforce (as in the video). When you're known in your organization as an expert on something, that's usually what gets your recognized and singled out for promotion. However, as a manager, or director, your tools are not your ability to do things, but rather your ability to get other people to do things. This can be really hard for some people to digest. You have to be able to let go of what may have been your core strength. You have to be able to trust your team and realize that your job is different now. It can really be a hard adjustment for some. We have a few individuals in my org who fall in this category. A VP for example who still finds himself very heavily "fingers-on-keyboard", creating his own technical reports participating in detailed project requirements meetings, etc. These people are often labeled as micro-managers, but you usually find out that it's because they're unwilling to move on. This often limits their ability to get their head out of the weeds and provide the direction their team needs. On my own team, I've been promoted a few times and I was given my shot at management quite a few years ago because I was really good at what I did. I knew this would be a challenge for me. I have always been known as a "technical guy" who was good at figuring things out and solving problems. Fortunately, I had put people on my team that are also really good at what they do. I trust them and they trust me. They're very creative problem solvers. So, my job is to make sure that we're working on the things that we should be working on. Things that are adding value to the company and moving our department forward. And as much as possible, getting ahead of changes or at the very least, keeping up with the changes within our company. And the only way for me to do that, is to empower my team to come up with and implement solutions.