Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
I got the drive the new Supra SA450 this past weekend.
This is the first SA built in Tennessee, it was shipped out to Wisconsin for WWA Worlds that then continued on out to Merced, CA.

It pulled the INT Western Regionals and I was fortunate enough to drive it while the designer of the boat rode along and told me everything I wanted to know about it.

As you would assume the SA450 has a 450hp motor, the Corvette LS3. I have this same motor in my 2012 Axis A22, but it felt to me like it had more horses than mine. It felt so light and nimble, it was a really FUN boat to drive. Lots of the competitors that rode this weekend, also rode behind it at Worlds. They all LOVED the wake at worlds, but they were slightly less than stoked about it at the private lake in Calif. The only thing I can figure why is because the private lake was only 7-8ft deep down the middle. Probably the only complaint I had about the boat was the position of the throttle. There's a little step in the side panel where you rest your arm. Where you would expect to feel the throttle, gives you a little ring pucker when you reach down and it's not there. It's a little lower and I had to look down to find it the first time I had to stop.

Great boat, needs deeper water. I loved it!

I was a little busy at the comp, but I got a couple pics for you all.

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
I really like that interior! Got any more pictures? Is it just the light, or is the carpet "tweed"? I like it.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
The carpet is actually what Axis calls "Tatami Mat" I don't know if that's Axis' name for it or if that's the real name. It's a woven plastic mat. I like it better than carpet personally.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-16-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
Great looking boat. I really like the blue.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
That's very sporty looking.
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-16-2012, 10:02 PM Reply   
Nice looking boat. Is that a samson mirror?
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-17-2012, 2:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
I got the drive the new Supra SA450 this past weekend.
This is the first SA built in Tennessee, it was shipped out to Wisconsin for WWA Worlds that then continued on out to Merced, CA.

It pulled the INT Western Regionals and I was fortunate enough to drive it while the designer of the boat rode along and told me everything I wanted to know about it.

As you would assume the SA450 has a 450hp motor, the Corvette LS3. I have this same motor in my 2012 Axis A22, but it felt to me like it had more horses than mine. It felt so light and nimble, it was a really FUN boat to drive. Lots of the competitors that rode this weekend, also rode behind it at Worlds. They all LOVED the wake at worlds, but they were slightly less than stoked about it at the private lake in Calif. The only thing I can figure why is because the private lake was only 7-8ft deep down the middle. Probably the only complaint I had about the boat was the position of the throttle. There's a little step in the side panel where you rest your arm. Where you would expect to feel the throttle, gives you a little ring pucker when you reach down and it's not there. It's a little lower and I had to look down to find it the first time I had to stop.

Great boat, needs deeper water. I loved it!

I was a little busy at the comp, but I got a couple pics for you all.

Well if that's ur only complaint that's not bad. That's cool he took the time to let u drive and explain the hole thing to u!
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
The touchscreen is very intuitive. Everything is also duplicated so if you don't feel like pushing a couple buttons to get to the ballast screen, there are toggles at your right wrist for the stock ballast.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippabcool View Post
Nice looking boat. Is that a samson mirror?
I don't know for certain. But the little side mirrors were awesome too. When the rider cuts really wide, I didn't have to lean over or look over my other shoulder.
Old    TN22            09-17-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Any idea if the guy who explained it to you was Shane Stillman?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Yes, it was Shane. Great guy! Super nice.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-17-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
The mirror is a CIPA extreme........

Last edited by 07launch22ssv; 09-17-2012 at 9:29 AM. Reason: ....
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-17-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
Great looking boat, thanks for sharing your review with us!
Old    TN22            09-17-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Shane is the best!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-17-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
That's one sweet ride!
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
What's in Merced ?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
What's in Merced ?
Skiers Choice
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
They don't actually have a factory there do they? Don't they just have an office for Shane and a few of the other west coast people within Skier's Choice?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
They don't actually have a factory there do they? Don't they just have an office for Shane and a few of the other west coast people within Skier's Choice?
That's correct.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:16 PM Reply   
Malibu is still in Merced as well.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2012, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
Malibu is still in Merced as well.
They don't build boats there either do they? I think they build some tower stuff or some components but not any boats unless Axis' are built there.

Mastercraft, Malibu and Skier's Choice all build their boats within a few miles of each other in Tennessee if I am not mistaken.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
Yes, that's correct.
If I recall, California put some kinda of hazardous material use laws into effect and it really affected the use of certain gelcoat, or at least that's what I remember. I could be entirely incorrect. Although simple cost of doing business in the state could be enough reason as well.

Axis is built right along side Malibu, in TN. Same thing for all the boat companies that moved to TN, offices in Merced only for 3D drawing and design, and marketing. I believe MB is the only factory still in Merced.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-17-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
Pretty sure Sanger is made there as well.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
Isn't the Calabria Factory in Merced or right around there as well? I know they aren't really building any Calabria's right now but I think they might be building Supreme's in their factory.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:46 PM Reply   
Oh yea, are they still in Sanger, CA as well?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 7:47 PM Reply   
I concede... LOL
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-17-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
Hey Sheldon,

I'm not doubting you got some positive feedback @ Worlds, as the boats were nice. However, no one I know that rode behind it fell in love with it. It didn't appear they had much more than factory in the 450. I helped them load the boat cooler the morning I rode and didn't see any additional weight. I did hear from folks that rode behind the 550 that the wake was good, but it was loaded too. I do believe it would have been fun to ride if properly weighted because it had a nice shape. I just didn't get the opportunity to experience it 1st hand. It's very possible they ran with more weight later in the day for Jr. Women
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
You are probably correct Kat. I'm not trying to speak for everyone that rode at worlds since I wasn't even there. Just repeating what I heard from a handful of NorCal folks that went. The good news is that (and I'm guessing) they probably didn't weight the 550 to the point the 450 couldn't handle it either. And since they are identical hulls and just a different motor, the 450 should be capable of the same wake shape and size... to an extent.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-17-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
Sanger does not build anything but Sangers in Fresno.