Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-17-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
We are considering upgrading to an Axis a-22....I am interested in hearing what current owners like/dislike about the boat and what options are a must have/skip. I know everyone has different preferences I just want to get a better idea from those who own one what they have liked, not liked, added, etc.

Thanks!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-17-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Chattwake has a dirty A22. He's only had about every boat out there too. might want to drop him a PM and see what he's got to say about your current setup compared to the Axis. All i know is his looks so sick.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-17-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip....I have seen pictures on here of his....it's ridiculous how nice it is.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Haha. Saw the title of this thread and my ears were burning. I've had a MC prostar, MC xstar/x1, BU VLX, and 3 SANTE 230's before I got my Axis A22. Here are some off the cuff thoughts for you:

Pros:
Price (My A22 was roughly 35-40k less than what a new 230 was going to cost me)

Wake - the A22 has the nicest, most scaleable wake I've ever ridden. I have the Raptor 400, plug n play front bag and 2 1000lb surf sacs in the rear plumbed into the plug n play system. I can just hit four fill switches, drop the wedge, wait about 5-10 minutes, set the perfect pass at 23.4, and I've got a wake that's easily one of the biggest I've ever seen, and is the best shape I've ever ridden. Windy or not, smooth water or rough, people moving around, etc., the boat wake retains it's size, shape, and cleanness all the way back to 85 feet. If more than 3 people are in the cabin, I either dump a little from the rear or add another sac in the bow.

Motor - with the Raptor 400 and the 1235 prop, the boat planes out no matter what. I had 13 people in the boat on Saturday evening (4 guys in the bow), all of the front ballast full, 80% of the rear full, and wedge down. Even pulling two riders at once, the boat planed out in about 20 seconds. I was shocked (I was also about 5 car bombs and 4 beers deep, which meant I rode like crap). The wake was really too big for me - like butt high. I managed to over rotate a back roll so bad I landed on my head.

Tower - the tower on the A22 is rock solid. I have 485's on my tower, a z5, and usually about 3-4 boards strapped in, and it doesn't shake or rattle AT ALL. not one bit. It's also super easy to fold.

Interior - I love the playpen bow and the chillax seating. I really like the blocky style of the cabin area as well. It reminds me a lot of my 230 interior. It's big, spacious, simple, and convenient. I like the snap out carpet. I like that I can throw a pair of flip flops under the seats without having to lift up the seat bases because of the vented storage. I like how I can completely remove all of the seat bases to clean them well. I love the huge sunpad. My vinyl is holding up awesome. I've had no problems with stains, fading, tears, nicks, etc. No, there is not as much bling bling billet trim pieces everywhere. You're going to give up something for saving $30+k on a boat. I was willing to settle for a plastic molded glove box lid, less complex cushion stitching, and analog gauges. The bow is massive. It has plenty of room for four people. It's much larger than the bow on my old 230's.

Swim Platform - it's HUGE - it's great for my kids.

Electronics - I ordered my boat with nothing but a head unit. I used some of the money I saved to buy a full wetsounds system and some high quality batteries. My A22 system is slamming. I'd rather put money into stereo components than into a led screen that tells me how fast I'm going, how full my ballast is, etc. My standard gauges do just fine. I'm actually stoked to go back to the simple electronics. My '10 230 had the LINC system in it, which I did not like very much. I like how, with standard controls/toggle switches, if I want to turn on a ballast tank, I can flip a switch. I don't have to toggle through 5 screens, select a setting, touch fill, etc. What's better is that I don't have to give someone who is not familiar with my boat a 30 minute tutorial on how to set perfect pass, fill and/or dump ballast, get back to the stereo menu, turn up the volume, etc. etc. I really like the Sony headunit and ipod interface that comes with the A22 btw.

Windshield - I like being able to talk to the rider as I pass him and grab a dock when I park without having to get up out of the driver's seat.

Carpet - the tatami mat and the vandal carpet both snap out. Big plus there.

Plug n play ballast - I very rarely have to use a portable pump anymore - even for surfing. It's awesome.

Perfect pass - the A22 uses the old school paddle wheel system. I live in an area where I ride on water from time to time that has current and/or in an area where I don't good satelite signal. The paddle wheel system works great for me, as it automatically adjusts to the actual water speed of the boat, and doesn't cut out when signal is lost.

Mirror mount - it has a bottle opener built in. Awesomeness.

Z5 - looks so sick and fits the A22 tower perfectly. It remains functional for storing boards, even with 485's on the tower.

CONS:
The cabin is a bit smaller than my 230 was - but not much.
The windshield does let in a little more spray than a normal windshield, and it's a bit lower than what I'm used to.
OB compartment door. It opens sideways. I wish it opened up.
The rub rail is rubber, which tends to get marked up a bit easier than stainless. However, I've been told that it's super cheap and easy to swap out if I want to at the end of the season.

There are some myths about the A22 that you may hear, which I just don't think are true. The swim platform does not screw up the surf wave. It does dig in the water just a bit, but it does not affect the shape of the wave. The interior vinyl on the 2011 boats is not like paper mache', which is what haters like to say. To me, it seems every bit as thick as what I had on my 230's. No, it's not as thick as the textured vinyl on the MC or BU boats. The A22 hull is not the same as the LSV hull. It is different. It was designed specifically to produce the best wakeboarding wake possible. Yes, you can ski behind an A22. No, it's not as good as a nautique 200. No, it's probably not as good to ski behind as an LSV or VLX. You have to give up something to get as good of a wake as this boat produces.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me. I've owned a bunch of boats man. If I wanted a VLX, LSV, XStar, 230, etc. I'd just go buy one. I bought the A22 because it makes the best wake I've ever ridden and it's so much of a value for the $$$ that I couldn't justify spending more on something else.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-17-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
I was going to comment but I really don't know if there is anything I can add that Chattwake hasn't already nailed. I will say we had 2 new riders (new to the Axis not wakeboarding) come out with us last night. These dudes could throw down. They both left the lake last night saying the A22 wake was the best wake they have ever ridden.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Must haves:
Plug n play system (this is only the plumbing - you still need to buy the bags)
Plug n play front bag and two 750lb rear locker sacs or 1000lb locker sacs
Wedge
Stereo pack one
Swivel racks
pop up cleats
tower arm/mirror
Chillax seating
cruise control

Nice options:
Raptor 400 if you are going to run the same amount of ballast I run. The 335 is fine with the 1235 prop with the plug n play system that comes with 400lb rear bags, but if you go to 750's or 1000's, it's nice to have the raptor. You can get the 335 to work with a ton of weight, but you need the CORE prop, which will somewhat limit your top end
Heater
Z5
docking and underwater lights
tricked out trailer

I'm not sure if I missed any options. When I ordered mine, I got a vandal edition and just asked that it be blacked out with every option available except for the salt stuff.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
Here are a few pics of us riding between 70 and 85 feet with 3 people in the boat, wedge down, and ballast full.
Attached Images

Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-17-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
Just an FYI and this came from my local dealer is that Axis is completely booked solid for 2011. So if you wanted to order one specific to your desires, you most likely will not be able to get a 2011, you would have to take a floor model from a dealer, IF you can even get one of those. Please double check this info, but you may have to wait for a 2012 if you plan a custom build. Our local dealer has completely sold through their floor models and cannot even order another 2011. They simply cannot get their hands on enough of them.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
For the record, we were riding doubles in the second picture, so that's why the ts wake was a little washy as I was coming down. You can tell the other rider is cutting out away from the boat hs.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuthafnp View Post
Just an FYI and this came from my local dealer is that Axis is completely booked solid for 2011. So if you wanted to order one specific to your desires, you most likely will not be able to get a 2011, you would have to take a floor model from a dealer, IF you can even get one of those. Please double check this info, but you may have to wait for a 2012 if you plan a custom build. Our local dealer has completely sold through their floor models and cannot even order another 2011. They simply cannot get their hands on enough of them.
That's actually malibu as a whole, they are having huge production issues. They are behind on everything.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
I do know that the A22 demand was huge this year - over expectations.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-17-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
THANK YOU! that write up was just what I was looking for. I am looking at a floor model from the dealer...and it is actually a 2010, they also have a 2011. We did look at the Bu's but for the price I can't justify it...I don't want the fancy screens and things that break...simple is better for us.

Can I ask if you have surfed behind it? if so, pics?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-17-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
You won't be disappointed in the A22. At that price, it is my opinion, that there isn't anything comparable on the market.

Other than that Chattwake's got it nailed. Even the options that I'd have to have. Our boats are wake making machines first, so motor and additional ballast are keys to me. For most the stock set-up and smaller motor would be more than adequate. Get the big stereo, though.... :-)
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-17-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Can anyone pm me or tell me if there is a price difference in 2010 to 2011 model years?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
roughly 6% I believe, if they are optioned the same. However, gel schemes cost different amounts, some different options were offered in 2011, etc.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of me surfing with my daughter. We were going really slow and did not have much weight in the boat at all. The wave is much better when the boat's going a little faster and with more weight in the front.
Attached Images

Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-17-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks again...this is a huge resource
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2011, 1:02 AM Reply   
lol - axis vandall edition a22 listed for 72k dollars on boattrader.com right now... jesus...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-18-2011, 5:25 AM Reply   
Probably a dealer listing for over msrp just to provide it with a lot of room to drop the price... It's like the local CC dealer here in chatt listing their '11 SANTE 230 for $111k when that boat should sell in the mid $80's.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-18-2011, 5:35 AM Reply   
I think if they are going to list a price on a new boat, they are supposed to list MSRP. I'm not 100% sure on this but most dealers choose to not list any price vs listing MSRP.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-22-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
Deposit down on a 2011 A-22 -Red with black accents, black trailer.....All the options we wanted, plug n' play upgraded, and an upgraded stereo system. Thanks for the comments! Can't wait to bring her home and get out on the water.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-23-2011, 4:51 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see some pics of that new ride!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-23-2011, 6:11 AM Reply   
Congrats to you. I pick up my 2011 black and vapor blue A22 tomorrow
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
AJ-the other one at the dealer was black and vapor blue...we were so close to going with that color instead.....nice choice!
My husband doesn't get home from his work tour for another week or so....now it is just wait time. And unloading everythign from our currnet boat and getting it cleaned up for trade.
This is our first v-drive so I can't wait to get on the water with her.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-23-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
My dealer has been great to me. My trade-in Moomba was a 2008 I got new and the difference between my purchase price and what they gave me for trade was only $5,500 difference. Also, the dealer is allowing me to swap out my good stereo out of my trade into the new Axis and putting the Axis speakers and equipment into my old boat.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
lol...sounds like we both got lucky with Dealers....I am also pillaging most of the stereo out of our current boat, adding a few more components, and installing it in the Axis....it will have the Sony head unit, 4 tower speakers, 12 inch sub with custom box and vinyl wrap to match interior, EQ, 3 amps, 2 batteries w/switch.

It worked out great. Our trade in is a LOT older but we still are very comfortable with the way it turned out...we are having 2 additional board racks added, the fat sacs installed prior to pick up, and some other minor extras added. I am so excited to see it all done and ready to go.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-23-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-23-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
Sounds awesome. What graphics does it have?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
tricked out color scheme. Regal Red base, with black accents. Interior cement color with red and black accents. Red fiberglass on interior. Black traction pads around bow , gunnels, and transom. Black Trailer. Went iwth 4 fixed racks instaed of swivel , so coated racks instead of polished. Black bimini.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-23-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Congratulations.... You're going to love the new boat.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-23-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Congrats on your purchase! You will love it!
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-13-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
Well we brought home the new boat sat and have spent the past few days on the water getting her broken in and ready for summer. We had the plug n play added, as well as a new stereo ( 3 amps, 12 inch sub, 4 towrer speakers, eq). We also had the decals removed except for the bow. We are soo happy with this boat so far, everything is just as we wanted. Already done with the break in period...so now time to enjoy the rest of the summer.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the original thread!
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-13-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
Congrats on your A22. I myself traded in my 2008 Moomba XLV almost 3 weeks ago on an A22. I can't even believe I owned a Moomba after having this Axis. The Axis is truly a price point quality boat whereas the Moomba is a price point boat with "okay" quality but crappy build. The wake is sick and the boat is not weight sensitive side to side like the Moomba was and other boats are. I've had 3 people on the passenger side plus batteries and just myself on the drivers side. The boat was obviously leaning to the passenger side but yet the wake was still clean. The rough water ride of the A22 impresses me everytime I go out in 30mph winds in several miles of open water to get to my spot. The ride is solid and pretty dry (pickle fork bow helps) in rough conditions. I would let anyone test drive my Axis before buying another boat. The cruis control in the Axis actually works very well...sorry Moomba, your Moomba cruise just sucks and shouldn't even be in the boat and is a waste of money to say the least. I like the Axis doesn't make a single noise in rough water, neither does the tower...rock solid and not a sweak or rattle.

Last edited by you_da_man; 06-13-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2011, 5:35 AM Reply   
Love to no decal look on these boats. Hope you enjoy yours. If you have any ? about weighing the boat for riding or surfing, shoot me a pm.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-14-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
The "naked" look on the boat is super clean....when we picked it up we had one decal on one side and nothing on the other so we could compare...and my husband and I both agreed instantly to remove the main decals.

I have to say that just in the three days we have had it out...we have used just about every feature...the boat is soo well laid out and soo much thought went into the design, you really do use everything...from changing the seat configurations to watch your riders, to the cruise control, ballast, etc.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
I just love how simple everything is on my A22. God I hated messing with sacs and pumps.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-14-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
The simplicity and core functionality of the boat was one of the biggest selling points for us....
Old     (Sethjoe)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-14-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
That boats looks familier

Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-14-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
it's a twin!
Old     (tankdc)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
Had to throw my boat up here as well (if the link works). Working on the wake for surfing, chattawake (Tom) has been a huge help. Set up the wake board wake and almost killed myself. Seems the wedge doesn't help when surfing with sacs. Working on combinations so will check back.

Last edited by tankdc; 06-18-2011 at 6:50 AM. Reason: pic
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-18-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
Use my meathod for surfing. Front pnp bag 100% full. Rear surf side hard tank full and pnp bag full. Everything else empty. Wedge up. 11-12 mph makes a NIIIICCCCEEEE wave. The rear end of the A22 is soooo sticky that you have to put more weight in the bow to get a clean wave. In my 230's, all you had to do was put tons of weight in the surf side rear, a little in the front, and the wave was money. However, the rear end of the 230 is not nearly as sticky in the water, as it is designed get the rear end up and the boat on plane quicker to offset its size. This is why so much more weight is required in the front of the A22 and A20 than normal, in terms of % ballast distribution for surfing.

Craig, btw, LOVE the metal flake!
Old     (tankdc)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-19-2011, 7:07 PM Reply   
Thanks!
Tried the front and back full only then added a little then filled the middle and it seemed to jack the wake up a little higher. Only 2 in the boat. Good call in recommending the front PNP.
Okay, here's a link of the wave on my friends youtube site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb93A37OYC8
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-19-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting the video. I'm installing the PnP ballast with 750 rear sacs this week. I'm gonna try Chattwake's recommended setup. Plus I have two 400lb spare sacs I can play with for giggles on the surfside seat (goofy side)
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-20-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
Used Chattwake's recommendation for surf set up this weekend...worked like a charm....nice looking wave with a lot of push....we have the 550's in the rear so less weight to play with but the wave was still nicely shaped and plenty for everyone on the boat...had the front full, back full, only 3 people in the boat, we did both the wedge up and down to see the differentce. Had a great time!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-20-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
We used Chattwake's suggestion this weekend only we threw a 550 on the seat in the rear as well. Surf wake was pretty damn big and awesome. I think I have some pictures of it on my camera. I left it in the boat though which is currently at the shop so it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can post them up.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-20-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
This is great news about the Axis surf wake and that everyone seems to be getting great results with Chattwakes recommended set up. Hope to see more pics or video