Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-06-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Just wanting to see how the Hummer H2 SUT tows. I currently have a Escalade EXT, so the Hummer H2 would have the same motor. The main question I really have is how do you hook up a trailer to the hitch on a H2 SUT with the spare tire mounted on the back of the tailgate? It looks like there is barely any room under the spare tire to fit the trailer tongue. Plus, it looks like there is no way to use a hitch with a rise on it. Does anyone have any experience with the SUT's that could shed some light on this. Thanks!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-06-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Just be ready for a lot of people to flame on you for wanting a H2.

All the help I can provide is my uncle had and EXT traded it in (does every year), got a H2 SUT for the next truck - it was taken back within like 2 weeks, he HATED it.... went back to escalades.
I've towed a pontoon with the H2 he had, it seemed fine, but I only went 5 miles with it - so not really a true test
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-06-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Really...any idea why he hated it? I like my EXT a lot, but I like the looks of the H2 SUT's and they are different than what everyone else has, so thought I would look into them.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-06-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I have an 06 SUV with 6.0/4 speed and I love it for towing. In 2007 (I believe) they went to a 6.3/6 speed which dramatically improved the towing characteristics. I wouldn't buy one without the upgrade. On the SUT, you are limited on the rise but it is designed for towing and the hitch is integrated into the frame. These trucks stop on a dime even with the trailer in tow and due to their excess weight, the trailer doesn't affect the ride much. The auto leveling airbags are great and the onboard compressor is nice to have for airing up the tires when needed but it is probably the most common failure on the truck.

Mileage: I get 12-15mpg in and around town, drops to 8-9 when towing. I tow a lot of miles.

For more info check out http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Last edited by phatboypimp; 12-06-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-06-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the response. If I got an H2 SUT, it would probably be a 2005 or 2006 with the 6.0. The mileage you are getting is basically what I get with my 2004 Escalade EXT
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-06-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Because this is Wake World: Let me throw in that you should get a 1 ton diesel minimum to tow your boat. Ha, ha, ha.

Carry on...
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-06-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Or a Ford Ranger, since this is Wakeworld.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-06-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
I drove a H2 SUT towing a MasterCraft X45 and it seemed OK on the flats. It was after the owner was partying so I just drove the rig home for him to avoid issues. He only kept it for a year after getting that boat and traded it in on a GMC Sierra Denali with the 400hp 6.2. He told me that he could barely get over the hills with the H2. Of course his boat is about 1000lbs more than your rig so you might be OK if there aren't too many hills. I'm not the best guy to ask since I am content with my 5.3L powered truck and Tahoe. If you have the ability to spec it with 411 axles that would be a great option if towing is going to be used for any significant portion of vehicle usage.

edit: The H2 I drove had the 6.0L/4speed older setup. As Jason mentions the new rig would be much better and probably fine.

Last edited by mikeski; 12-06-2010 at 9:48 PM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-07-2010, 12:07 AM Reply   
1 of my customers brought his 35' Baja Outlaw to the shop with an SUT. It almost wouldn't back the boat up the driveway, so I'd hate to see how well it towed down the street. Pretty heavy boat though.

I never was impressed with the 6.0L unless it was in the Denali, then it still wasn't much, IMO.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-07-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help everyone. My last two vehicles have been an escalade ext and denali, both with the 6.0L and I thought they did great with towing my boat. The Hummer is a lot more vehicle though, so maybe I need to take that into consideration more.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-07-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
I wouldn't do it without the 6.3 and 6 speed. Whole different beast.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-07-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Of all the trucks GM was making at that point the H2 got the biggest motor and produced the worst performance numbers in terms of acceleration. It's a lot of truck, and the gas mileage is a testament to that. It's also pretty cool if you use it for what it was meant for. The running gear is bullet proof.

Personally... Cool if you want something different, but it's 1/2 the truck that the Escalade is. The interior isn't very well thought out. Plus it's huge and difficult to see out of. It's one of those vehicles that I know a lot of people that have owned them, but none that currently do. If you catch my drift....
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-07-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
I heard H2's are great until the novelty of having a Hummer where's off, and then they're just a PITA to drive.

Where is Lon? Ask him about his Hummer.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-07-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
Did the 6.0L H2 have the same 375hp motor that the Denali has? Or does it have the 325hp that was in the 2500HD? Wife's Denali seems to tow our boat better than the 05 2500HD gas burner that I had at one time.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-07-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
I heard H2's are great until the novelty of having a Hummer where's off, and then they're just a PITA to drive.

Where is Lon? Ask him about his Hummer.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.
dang looks like i am, late to the party

I seen what the OP asked and all I could think of is... only if you're hauling around a previously sunk x80
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-08-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
JOHNY Bauer... How is ur 2500HD NOT A TOWING machine!!! Mine Pulls EVERYTHING LIKE NOTHING!!! Will tow with nothing ELSE....
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-08-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
My current one IS a towing machine, since it's a diesel. The gas burner wasn't much.... Towing a 6000# boat was terrible. It had no torque at all. Going up hills was ridiculous, and that's a mild incline. Not to mention fuel economy was in the 7-8 range. The current diesel (same body and frame) gets 15 towing, and never even downshifts on the same inclines. Stopping is much easier too. I can barely tap the brake at an off-ramp and the truck slowly downshifts and comes to the end of the off-ramp barely using the brakes.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-09-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
"My current one IS a towing machine, since it's a diesel."

Another convert...... Once you go diesel it's nearly impossible to go back. Man, they tow amazing. Even compared to the 6.0, and that's a great motor.

My brother just got a new Denali pick-up with the 6.2 and 6 speed. I can't wait to see how it tows. They've obviously got high intentions for a 1/2 ton since it comes with trailer brake controls built in. We'll see. As of right now he's already getting better mileage than his '07 Avalanche with a 5.3 and 4 speed.