Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ottawa_county/Jet_ski_and_boat_collide_at_Hanky_Panky

Very sad....
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
This happened just a few miles from me. Terrible. Everyone on the water has to be so careful - your are a pilot of a vessel and responsible for a lookout and avoiding any potential collision. It is a big responsibility and very difficult at times. My heart aches for the loss of both life and youth.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
Horrid...
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-08-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear but 3 people on a jetski is just stupid and then more then likely the jetski was jumping the wake of the boat. Said MC powerturned right into the back of the jetski.. and both operators were 15?? WTF.. Should not be operating anything at that age.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Johnny, they make 3 and 4 seat jetskis, what's the problem with that? It did not say the MC powerturned: "driver of the power boat was making a large turn when he hit the Sea-Doo from the rear, investigators said"
Sad situation no matter what.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       09-08-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
Tragic situation. I cant imagine having to go through this as a parent. My condolences. It makes you think about all the things you did as a kid aor young adult and how the situations could have become fatal at any moment. I hope the kids can continue to live as kids and get through this.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
What a tragedy that most likely could have been prevented. The rangers had to transport a jetskier in at the lake we were at on Sun. No idea what happened.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-08-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Where it said that the jet skiers and the boat owner knew each other makes me think that they probably did get too close. You always tend to drive too close to people you know.

I have watched Jet skis do power turns just as they almost hit sitting boats to spray the interior occupants...

Sad story. We as boat operators really need to always keep our eyes open.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-08-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
^ and our fifteen year olds in the passenger seat.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Admittedly I hopped right on to argue, however I would rather just make comments and points. This (driving age) comes down to 2 things, responsibility and common sense. I was a more responsible and better driver at 15 than most adults, and was actually pulling slalom skiers and jumpers by that age. At 16, I was trusted with my parent's boat to go to the lake alone with friends, and they knew that I would be the most responsible and safest boat on the lake. Age is not the deciding factor, experience, knowledge, and again responsibility are the main factors. At 15 most friends' parents would have me drive because they knew I was better than them. I do agree though, common sense should also come in. Labor Day weekend is not a time when someone of that age should be operating alone. Don't jump on the age thing just because it's age, responsibility and common sense need to be put in as well.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-08-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Chasin.. the fact is on skis with even more then one person on them you cant control the reactions of your "passengers" in regards to leaning,hanging on and that type of thing. VERY dangerous and they have WAY TOO much power for even adults to handle.
I would be willing to put money on what I said above happening. It is very sad indeed, could it have been avoided. MOSt DEFINITELY.

Adub... you are one of probably a handful of youngsters that are responsible. Look at the way people drive their cars and trucks with rules of the road, then take those rules away and the lane restrictions and speed limits and dumb crap like this will happen everytime.

Sorry for those involved.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
You can point fingers all you want but it all boils down to the fact that a lake is a recipe for disaster. People feel that 20 mph in a open area they can turn around talk to their passengers and goose the throttle a little bit. Never minding the fact that it is a holiday weekend and the lake is over crowded. They think that everyone sees them so they never do a 360 degree scan. As I said, recipe for disaster. Sadly it will continue at this rate until we are required to obtain a operation permit. Then and only then will the accidents begin to slow. I am still amazed at the people here that do not know the 100 ft rule and I personally wouldn't mind seeing more DNR presences even if it did mean I get my boat checked every outing. I am legal and there is no reason anyone shouldn't be.