Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (bigfella44)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
It is about time that EA or somebody brings back the old wakeboard games that used to be on PS2 and Xbox. Xbox 360 and PS3 are calling out for a nice wakeboard game. The ideas are endlessly and besides the fact that the look would be amazing.

Anyway what are yours guys thoughts?
Old     (roy_munson)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-01-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
oh yeah i agree. it would be awesome if it had comparable mechanics to skate 2. maybe you would have to load the line and take different edges for different tricks.

i also always thought it would be cool if there was a party mode where one person would drive and the other ride. the driver would have to do a good job of controlling the boat and setting up the rider for obstacles as well as making sure the wake stays crisp. that would make for a alot of 2-player fun.
Old     (bigfella44)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
I agree. I wish developers heard our voice more. Especially with the Parks Doc out. It would be amazing to have him as the poster child or something.

You were also right on the same page as me with Skate controls. I was playing that last night and was thinking the same exact same.

Anyways, I highly doubt anyone will ever make a move on this. I just really wish they would.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-01-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
I still play shaun murrays wakeboarding time to time, just have a few more gaps to do before i finish the game.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-01-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
The fact remains: wakeboarding games just aren't nearly as fun/interesting/profitable as other types of games.
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-01-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
I just played shaun murrays wakeboard game for 3 hours the other day haha. Such a classic... and its funny the skate controls were mentioned because when I was first playing it I went to jump with the joy stick like I would in skate and felt like a complete moron.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-01-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
I found this article when I hit up Google:

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2007/05/calling_out_to_ea_sports_big_p.html
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-01-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
"i also always thought it would be cool if there was a party mode where one person would drive and the other ride"

Wakeboarding Unleashed had a mode like that
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-02-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
If they can put out a wakeboarding game back then as far as popularity goes.....they should definitly put one out now! Its way bigger and better and definitly getting more attention. Not just in U.S. There are so many things I have in mind that would make a new game really good. More pros, sponsors, boards, bindings, boats, ballast, towers/speakers, pick your song to ride to. Freeride, ONLINE challenge mode, Season Mode, wakeskate section, unlocking things as you progress, Tricks, rails, riding spots - lakes, rivers, ocean, w/e. Tournaments, Wakeboard Pro tour, Congratulations you just unlocked Danny Harf! stoked.....someone needs to do something about this....and I think the only guys with the PULL would be Murray, Byerly, Parks, even Rusty on the front cover...how tight!

Someone help me out here.....they wont make a game unless they have people like us pushing them....what can we do..if anything...???
Old     (dhv142)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-02-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
if you could make a wakeboard game that had the same controls as skate(the game) then that would be sick!!!
Old     (bigfella44)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Deinitely. I have tried to e-mail EA to no avial. It seems that no one is interested, but how to games about surfing and other crazy things that are not as popular always get created.

A true travesty if you ask me.
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-02-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Yah. The pro rider is def the guys who might be able to submit something. I wonder if that's going on? Cause if it isn't then that's prolly the only thing stoppin it from happening. I say this only cause they have made a wakegame before. When it wasn't oh so popular!
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-02-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Upload

Getting wakeboarders to buy a wakeboard video game is easy. Getting everyone else to buy it is hard.
I would have loved to see the builds of Byerly's X-Box game before it was canned.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-08-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Skate has sold 606,000 units (best-selling alt. sports game)... with an estimated 18.5 million skateboarders worldwide, that makes .033 units/skateboarder. Or 3.3% of all skateboarders that bought Skate. This doesn't take into account that a good majority of those that purchased Skate aren't actually skateboarders. Being a high-profile sport, it'll draw sales just because of the cool factor.

With an estimated 3.5-4 million wakeboarders worldwide, and the profile of the sport being much lower than skateboarding, let's be a little more conservative. Let's say .025 units/wakeboarder of a wakeboarding game are sold (2.5% wakeboarding population)...

4 million wakeboarders (x) .025 units/wakeboarder (=) 100,000 units sold
-------------------
100,000 units (x) $50 (=) $5,000,0000

Skate, by comparison, would take in $30,000,000 using the same figures. Not only that, but creating another game that utilizes a similar control concept will only hurt the sales of the game it borrows from. I don't think developers are in any hurry to make another wakeboarding game, when they can focus on guaranteed sales.

Not to be a downer, just don't get your hopes up...
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-08-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
My wife's cousin is a game designer for EA. I'll email him and see what the options are or if he knows if there ever may be a game in the future.
Old     (staylefysh)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-09-2009, 12:48 AM Reply   
Yeah EA needs to put out a wake game thats just like skate! Somethin thats so realistic that it actually gets me pumped to go ride!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2009, 1:11 AM Reply   
how much of that $5M is overhead/salary/etc.?
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-09-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
About 100% of it. Hah.

According to wikipedia, development cost for current-generation systems averages $15-20 million. And that's excluding marketing. Ouch.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-09-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
^ That is for a whole game though correct

Games like Amped/Skate would work fine by changing the backgrounds and a few animations... by no means a whole new game