Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I've been working diligently trying to get my 215's wake rideable... Here's some pics...
so far i run 600 lbs plus the stock ballast in which ever side, we're surfing on, plus the center ballast full then another 600 lbs in the walk through. It seems to me the cavitation plate causes a gnarly rooster tail below 10.5 mph.

I can free ride with one of my ocean boards, but have had no luck with my hyperlite broadcast. I know a true wakesurf board will make a difference, but i still feel the wake needs improvement

Upload
Upload
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-07-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
I Surf behind a Sanger V210 on a Phase Five Prop 4'6". We get a nice wake with the center ballast full, 400lbs in the rear storage on the side you surf on, 200lbs in the bow and 6 people sitting on the side you surf on. The weight in the bow will help with the rooster tail.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
sue, i am concerned that the weight in the bow will make the wake less steep...any issues with that?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-07-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Eric
It won't be as tall but the pocket will be longer. More room to play on the wave.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of my wake with about 500 # in the rear locker and the stock ballast on that side and the front stock ballast full. Two people in the boat about 400# total. Can't figure out the rooster tail at all.Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
OH, forgot the speed is about 10.5 and 11 depending whether she was always catching the boat as she is learning to adjust speed I would just speed up and it would make it harder for her to catch the boat.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
Wow...I like the looks of that wake. it appears to be much steeper and cleaner than mine. I have tried your setup before but it doesn't look anything like that. it seems that as soon as I get near 10.5 that darned rooster tail shows up. I'm still curious to see what others are running. It might be time to install an adjustable plate :-). Also, I think that broadcast might be the wrong board for that wake.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-07-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
i have a v230 and can get a surfable wake from just the center ballast up front and in the rear on the side of the surfer and about 400# of people on that side. i could use a little more but its still fun. i havent experienced any of the rooster tail trouble tho.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
Eric,
Do you have any problem with the boats ride without ballast? The plate may be way out of adjustment. I have the fixed plate on mine so I know that properly adjusted you should have no roostertail. The goofy side is not quite as good as the regular side. The broadcast should be a problem if the wake is right.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Dennis,
The boat does great with out ballast.I don't think the plate is out of adjustment, but who knows. I might give scott a call at sanger. I would rather mess with other ballast configurations before tweaking the plate.
The wake on the goofy side is much better than the regular side, but it still doesn't look as steep as your pic. I just assumed you have to overcome the weight of the driver when weighting the regular side, so naturally the goofy side is better.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-07-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
have u tried runnin it a little slower? like 10 or even 9.5?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
Eric,
The normal is the regular wake is better because of the prop rotation.

(Message edited by dennish on September 07, 2006)
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
Calvin,
I've tried all sorts of speeds...once i get below that 10.5 mark the dreaded rooster tail begins to appear.

Dennis,
That's what I figure should be the case. So, I am wondering, with the driver counter balancing the boat when weighted for the regular side, i guess i will just need more weight. If not, maybe the cavitation plate is out of adjustment. I can check the deflection and ask Sanger what their recommended deflection is. I don't want to randomly start adjusting that thing and mess up the already great characteristics of the boat. I have no problem at wakeboarding speed nor at any other activity.
I notice when surfing behind the boat, that it appears the cavitation plate is putting force on the water to cause that rooster tail. Dennis, does your boat even produce that type of rooster, say even when decelerating?
The thing that gets me is that the rooster tail doesn't disappear when the boat turns.

I'll be out on monday with a large group, so I'll try some weight in the front and see what happens. We'll play musical chairs and see what we can come up with.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
Eric,
Never seen a roostertail at all. The only thing I can think of is weight in front allowing the back to raise up, but not with that weight in back. By the way where in Socal do you find that water. I assume that your a fireman. If so where?
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
Yeah, I guess monday will be a lot more trial and error. Those pics are from San Antonio, which is about a 2.5 hour drive from where I'm at. I have a lot of friends up that way so it makes it convenient to cruise up there mid week and have some company. Actually, lately the 3 local lakes down here, Castaic, Piru and Pyramid have been decent during the week. I pay close attention to the weather patterns and have become fairly proficient at predicting the winds and that will dictate where we'll go for the day. You just have to be patient. Buena Vista is about an hour away, so for a longer day trip during the week, that isn't too bad. I avoid weekends at all costs during the summer, but they're not too bad during the winter.
And you're right I am a fireman...I work for burbank
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
eric, on that second pic, it seemed there is a fat rooster tail spitting up, i have the same problem, it from the wake plate, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
taco, I think dennis and i are coming to the conclusion that it's either weighting or the plate is not adjusted correctly. I am hesitant on adjusting the plate. I am also going to check the speed of the PP to my gps again. I may be inaccurate at those lower speeds, so my 10.5 may be 8. The wake will clean up around 12, but the wake is no where as clean as Dennis'. Dennis, do you by chance have any more pics of your wake?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
I have been trying to post some more pics but it doesn't want to work right. I'll try again. I used to water ski at San Antonio in fact I went the first season it was open. No crowds at all, dirt road to get there.
application/octet-streamUpload
wake5 (135.7 k)
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
eric, sorry i didn't even read your first post, haha my bad

me and my dad were also playing with the weight in the bow, the more weight, less rooster tail, but the wave decreased in height, so i adjusted it all the way up, but when i went to go wakeskate we noticed tremendous bow rise, 35+ mph, kinda funny but i am still trying to work things out, i will tell you if anything pops up to mind

(Message edited by cassetteboy777 on September 08, 2006)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
Eric,
I will try again with the wake pics. This is with3 people in boat. My nephew is a fireman in Ventura county thats why I asked.
Upload
Upload
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-09-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
Wow, dennis, I have never seen my regular side wake look anything like that! So Stock ballast in the front, the side you're riding on, 500lbs in the locker and 3 people?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
yes thats what I run. I still think your roostertail is the problem with your wake. Speed is 10.5 or 11.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-10-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
dennis that wake looks amazing. i went out today and experienced the roster tail for the first time. very annoying. cleaned up wen we loaded all the people on to that same side tho. i need to try surfin a little faster and see how the wake cleans up.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-11-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
I played around with the wake quite a bit today, trying all sorts of variations. The best I found was Dennis' setup, but I had 5 people in the boat. Also, I didn't completely eliminate the rooster. I think you have to watch the balance of people front to rear. Too many people in the back definitely adds to the rooster.
The wake was a lot easier to surf, but i still wasn't able free surf for more than a few seconds. I know you need to learn the tricks to surfing, but i am a fairly accomplished ocean surfer and I think that it should still be easier to surf
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-11-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
if your prop is cavitating then you might have too much weight in the rear locker.

you might want to try pop-products bags.... we use them and a mixture of ballast (factory and extra). the really nice thing, is they move around very easily..

i am familiar with 3 boats (mc, bu, cc) and all of them have done well with weighing the entire side of the boat (even listing) and to lengthen the wake, add some weight to the front.

try moving some weight around and see what you get (we run a 400 lb sac where the rear seat is as far back as possible). also you might want to try dropping the belly...in most setup's it flattens out the wake... like anything ymmv..
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-11-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
I don't think it's cavitation that's causing the rooster tail..like i said before i really think it's that cavitation plate. I think pop bags would also help. one question on the pop bags...do you trailer your boat with the bags in it, or do you take them out?
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
what are pop bags?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-11-2006, 11:00 PM Reply   
i take them out.. they are pretty easy to move around..

the website is http://pop-products.com/

my misunderstanding, i thought his prop was cavitating..