Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       12-02-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
anyone know where I could get one.... new or used?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
Ski world in Castro Valley. Ask for Brian. He used to rent them too.

Tellum who sent ya.

Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-02-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
If you can, save the money and build your own. I wasn't very impressed with Raves. They're good if you are just learning, but if you want to really progress on sliders you'll get bored on them pretty quick.
Old     (jsebnick)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-02-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
I'll have to second Maestro.....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
Most people have no place to build sliders. The Raves are great for houseboat trips.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-02-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
rave sliders suck. I am from MN, thats where they make them, they sponsor all the events. The sliders are gay, the move around like mad in the wind, they give when you ollie on them, i suggest building one.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
Tell us how you really feel Andy.

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-02-2004, 11:09 PM Reply   
okay, DONT BUY ONE WAST OF MONEY!! FOR THE PRICE ON ONE YOU CAN BUILD 3

(Message edited by andy_nintzel on December 02, 2004)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-06-2004, 12:06 AM Reply   
I have Rave slider, and it has served us well. I don't understand what peoples complaints are. Unfortunately they aren't making then anymore so if you found one it would be either used or old stock.

If you anchor them well they don't move around much. Certainly not enough to cause any problem. If you just toss a couple of small weights down with little scope then it will move around in the wind and waves. Use good anchors, at least 3:1 scope, get the lines tight and it does fine.

ANY floating slider is going to sink a bit when 180 pounds jumps up on them. If you are fortunate enough to have a constant level lake where you can build a fixed one then that would be your best bet. But if you are like most of us a floating slider is the only option.

If you want to see a sample of our slider in use click here: http://rodm7.tripod.com/slider_chad.wmv

Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-06-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
At the camp I worked at in the summer we had floating sliders that we made - wood frames, with that thick blue insulation foam as the floats, and compared to raves they felt rock solid. I'm not sure if you've ridden many sliders other than Raves Rod, but if you have, you would probably not be saying Raves do the trick well. Then again, not everyone wants to put the time in to make their own sliders. So if you have the money and aren't too worried about using a solid slider, go with the Rave. Just my $.02... again...
Old    sbvfive            12-06-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
I am going to have to agree with andy and maestro on this one....i have hit floating rails, boxes, rails into the ground, rails over land, rails at OWC, etc, etc. Plus I come from a snowboarding background, so rails are familiar to me...last year I hit my first Rave slider and it downright scared me!! The Raves really give alot underneath you. To me it seemed like they didn't accurately imitate a real rail, because with a rail supported into the ground or a sturdy floating rail, you are expected to brace your weight to the outside a little bit to resist the boat pulling you off. With the rave that i hit, it was impossible t stay on. As soon as you ollied up and set your weight, it just pitched and rolled like crazy. If you were really gentle with it it doesn't move as much but then you get pulled off early. Anyway, the rave that i hit wasn't mine, so i am not sure how it was anchored, but i do agree with rod that if you anchor them super solid it would be better. But andy got it right, you can build your own for far less and get a better rail, floating or into the ground.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-07-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
joshua,

i emailed you about this.
if you are still interested, shoot me an email.

matt.moss@interstatebloodbank.com