Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (575)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-07-2015, 7:37 PM Reply   
So I've been trying every boat out there on our lake. Had pretty much decided on a Supra SE 450 and had talked rough #'s trade in value, floor price vs MSRP. Went to deal this weekend and everything we talked about out the window. I honestly felt sorry for the salesman, he had to feel like such an a**hole. They offered MSRP and partial trade in. So I gave them my numbers, the same #'s the other dealerships were giving me and have not heard back. So back to drawing board...the Z3 was the first boat I demoed and couldn't really remember it. Went out today in a 2015 Z3 with the surf XL ballast, no VX or AVX. Could slalom ski behind the boat, the wake board wake was fine at 19 mph for the kids, not nearly as nice as the G23 or the SE 450 but nicer than the X23 maybe a little behind the X30. So far all fine. Then we surf. My son kept pearling the nose, which was a little surprising as he typically rides for a long time and can recover from way back, I can't think of the last time I saw him bury the nose like that, let alone multiple times in a row. So then I went out and had the same problems. So discouraged. There was a huge soft spot that just couldn't be avoided. The nose would just sink. I was hoping to find a worse case scenario that was still acceptable and hoping that the boat with surf system I ordered to be way better. I'm leaning towards the TAPS 3 if I order one. Any feed back, suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-07-2015, 8:15 PM Reply   
Well, that's surprising... Of all time things on z3, this would be the most odd to have an issue with. It's notorious for having a fantastic surf wake. Perhaps it was steeper than what you have been demoing? Or depth was an issue?
Old     (575)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-07-2015, 9:51 PM Reply   
It could have been steeper but it wasn't like I was running into the boat. I had to put my weight more forward to not fallout the back and then I would just bury the nose. Maybe we were going to fast...11.1 mph. The depth wasn't an issue 20+ ft.

Plus I forgot to mention this earlier. The boat created a serious rooster tail. The most disturbing wake I've been behind. Which surprised me as the boat I've spent the most time behind is a 24 ft 2006 tige 24ve. Now this boat is listed 16 degrees but surfs very nicely. Extra ballast lead weight.
I found this very surprising as well.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-08-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
Did you play with different TAPS settings and more or less bow weight to knock down the rooster tail? It's pretty odd for a 2015 model to not have AVX or the stationary CVX. I would ask on TigeOwners.com if any other Z3 owners experienced this and what they have done about it, but I'd bet almost all have either CVX or AVX. I haven't seen it in person but the TAPS 3 wave looks really good and it should be very adjustable.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-08-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
That was my experience on the Z3 and Z1. The Tige hull seems to produce a "trough" at the bottom of the wave and I kept pearling the board as well. We were on a 2015 Z3 as well and although the wave was good and had great push and size the "trough" kept getting me. something I wasn't used to coming from a Malibu VLX with Surf Gate. The Supra Wave does not have the "trough"
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2015, 4:30 PM Reply   
I think you will find different boards will ride different waves totally different. I can't speak for experience with the Z3, but can tell you I have surfed behind the SE quite a bit and man is it fun and easy to produce a monster. Can't go wrong with it
Old     (brodee42)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-09-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
Very surprising to hear. I have a 2012 Z3 with VX and Enzo bags. The surf wake is phenomenal to say the least. I don't have much experience on the newer Supras or Malibu's to compare it to but I have ridden a few different boats (Older Supra, MC and Sanger). Many people that ride my wake are blown away by it...

I do know that the Z3 with the VX loves weight. I hated our wave before we upgraded to the Enzo sacs. The only problem I have now is we're running out of days on the water!!!
Old     (575)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-09-2015, 8:32 AM Reply   
Brodee42 how much weight are you running and what is your distribution. During the demo we were running a total of ~1800lbs with 1150 rear port 450 starboard rear and about 220min the bow.
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-09-2015, 11:57 AM Reply   
You should have the bow full (1100 lbs up there) & the surf side rear full. You can add some offside weight as necessary, but with taps around 3-4 with that weight the wave should be awesome.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
Odd to see a 2015 Z3 without the AVX. Out of all the Tige models, thats the one that I feel benefits the most.

The Z3 needs more bow weight then 220, actually a little more than stock is better, if you are running that much in the rear.
Old     (brodee42)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-09-2015, 8:22 PM Reply   
@575: for our regular surf side we are loading the boat 1550 lbs port side (1350 Enzo sac + 250 hard tank) and 400 lbs in the bow (stock 400 "surf" package bag). We also load the opposite side with about 15% of what it can hold (starboard side) as recommended by some on the forums.

I really like this setup as I don't have bags laying over all the seats. Everything is automatic and hidden in storage compartments.