Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-05-2015, 11:51 AM Reply   
Really only been riding a lot for 2 seasons. Was previously just skating and surfing a lot. Started out on a watson and switched over to a SS reflex. Wasn't a big fan of the Watson. It seemed locked in but slow to me. Loved the speed and the play of the reflex but our lake is typically crap after the morning. When the glass disappears I just don't enjoy the reflex at all. Feels like I'm way too loose outside of hard cuts and struggle with riding switch on it.

Considering going back to a traditional board to try and progress more/limit my frustrations.

Would like a board I can still carry good speed on, maybe a bit more predictable so thinking a continuous or hybrid, and something I can feel a bit more locked in. Anyone have any good suggestions. Not much past w2w, surface spins, etc.

5'11", 175lbs
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       01-05-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Check into the Ronix Bill.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-05-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
Will check it out. Should also note this will be a boat only board.
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-05-2015, 1:50 PM Reply   
I bought a Parks Camber board and I really like it. It lands really soft, however doing surface spins you are a little more locked in compared to other boards. I used to ride the Ronix Bill as well the 2012 model was my last one and I believe that have made some subtle changes. Anyway the Bill Board was awesome the only reasons I didn't go with another one was because I wanted to check out the hype of camber and last years Bill board was pretty loud graphic which shouldn't really matter but it made the decision to go with a different board easier.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-05-2015, 2:03 PM Reply   
+1 on the Bill. It is a killer wakeboard and if you find yourself in a park ever, it will do work there too. Go 2013 or later. That shape is faster and easier to ride than the previous shapes.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2015, 8:46 PM Reply   
I wouldn't give up on the SS, I think those boards are sooooo nice. What year Reflex did you get? I know that at least the 14/15 models come with very small 4" x 1/2" fins. Have you tried the Response/Recoil fins that are 6" x 1/2? Also, back in the day (2012 and earlier) the Recoil used to come with 8" x 1/2" fins. I'm not sure if those will work on the reflex. I had a buddy who tried to put the 8" long fins on a Response for more tracking and the fins hung out past the tip of the board. Might be same story with the Reflex but maybe worth a try?

If you're interested I have a set of the 8" x 1/2 fins from a 2012 Recoil I have no use for. Would mail them free of charge if you want to try them out.

I would agree though that unless your edging is pretty solid you will feel bounced around on a SS board in rough chop.
-dy
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-06-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Its a 2012 reflex. I'll check the fins and let you know. I don't really think I'm giving up on it for the long haul but It seems to be a really tough board to progress switch with. I feel so much less comfortable on that board than I did my Watson. Its an absolute blast for butter but after 9am it just makes me want to throw stuff and is so much less forgiving. At that point I could have just busted out the skate for a few sets and gone to a traditional board with where my skill level is (or lack there of).

Did some reading on the Bill and it looks like a great board with some of the exact characteristics I'm looking for. Is there a difference in the 13 vs 14? Also anyone have opinions on the harley? Seems to be locked in like the watson but a bit faster.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-06-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
The 14 is supposedly a little softer, but I've ridden and pressed both. They felt about the same. The shape is exactly the same.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-06-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with the LF Witness for a traditional board, there is a reason it has been around so long and was Ben Greenwood and Amber Wings pro models. I currently ride a SS Lyman which still has some descent flex but has all the bottom features you need for a comfortable and controlled boat ride. I haven't ridden the '14 Lyman though.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-09-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
i still ride a witness behind the boat. Ive ridden a Bill and Also the Watson classic. Really enjoyed them both, but there is just something about the way that witness hooks up on an edge and holds. Really makes riding it effortless and fun.