Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-12-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
We had a crew go down to surf expo in Orlando and we checked 2 wakeboard bags. I flew Airtran and they charged me the standard bag fee of $20. They asked what was in it and I said a wakeboard. She said no prob when I flew there and when I flew back.
Our other group flew Delta and told him it would cost $200 to check a wakeboard one way!
I thought that was a little absurd... If they want to tack on a $10 charge or even double the baggage fee because it's twice as long that's one thing. But $200 is ridiculous!

Time to invest in a golf deceiver bag.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/blogs/...ll-travel.html

It's easier to fedex it back.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-12-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Ronix Links bag is one of the best. I have a normal board bag and when I fly with it on American Airlines its $25 each way for it.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
You never say wakeboard to an airline. The first thing they think is surfboard and charge a crazy fee. Always tell them waterskis or pick up a new board bag that has the word golf on it.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-12-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
Definitely not easier to fedex. I have a LF "golf" bag and have never even been asked what was in it. Most of the time shipping it will take multiple days to arive and is about the same price as a checked "golf" bag. I have never lied to anyone about what it was, they see the word golf and assume. If I was asked I would tell them that it was water ski equiptment though. Some airlines will charge the fee per board even when in the same bag.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-12-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
I am also a Kiteboarder and travel all over with a board, harness, 2-3 kites, pump and wetsuits. I recommend the Litewave Designs Golf Bag or the Best Kiteboarding Golf bag. Some of the other bags out there are heavy to start with so you eat up a bunch of you 50lbs weight just on the bag. The Best and Litewave bags are pretty light. I also always toss in a bag of plastic practice golfballs or a super light junk putter . So when they ask me what is in it I can say "Golf equipment". It is the biggest bunch of BS that Golf clubs fly free BUT say any word that ends in board and they slap a big premium on your tab. Same size same weight. What gives?! Anyway I have never been charged yet. Fingers crosses..... knock on wood. Oh and another tip I always use Skycap and get a $20 tip ready, in my hand and showing.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
next time say its a snowboard

Ski or Snowboard Equipment
If you are hitting the slopes, you can bring your ski and snowboard equipment as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess baggage fees will apply. The linear dimension may exceed 80 inches (203 cm).
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Another reason to Fly Soutwest
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Each airline has different restrictions. If you fly United, no matter what you say it is, if it's over their size limit (which a wakeboard is) it's automatically $100.

I've found it's so much easier just to Fed Ex it. When two buddies & I flew out to Texas for our trip to Wakesport Ranch, we just shipped everything to our hotel. We had two boards per box & it cost $18 one way. The hotel was happy to hold them for the day. It was also much easier not having to deal with checked bags and not dealing with a board bag walking through the airport. :Last but certainly not least, we could not have fit all our chit in the bitchin Kia we rented so it saved us there too.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-13-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
I fly multiple times a year for snowboarding on all kinds of various airlines and I have never been charged anything other than the standard bag fee most airlines are charging these days. Usually $15-25. $200 is effing ridiculous.
Old     (cerne)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
yup - golf bag with tip in hand is the only way to fly - and like trio said below - always have that tip showing. cheap insurance to avoid those extra baggage fees!