Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-05-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
What are you guys using? Tired of it in the glove box. I have seen install pics from HSE but I have been calling all week and no answer just leave mess, which I have done.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-05-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
I use one of these:
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/shopcombos.html

I've got the UltiMount V2 with miniGrip in my boat and car. They work great. I'll try to get a picture later.
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-05-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
http://www.gpscity.com/cell-phone-mo...ple/iphone-3gs

just found this on the interweb.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
love the second one, slime design. THANK YOU
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-06-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
I just got one of those no slip dash pads to lay it on.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-06-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the links guys!!
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Not the best pic but you can see it on the right side. Works great. Got it on Ebay.

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-06-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
I have the RAM Mounts generic version. I didnt want to have to take off the case for the iPhone. This works awesome - very solid mount. Has foam contact areas, so grips phone very well. RAM Mount stuff is top notch IMO!
Attached Images

Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       05-06-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
Derek - is the base permanently mounted? Screwed in? I have the same boat and that looks like a good solution.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-07-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Matt, yes the base is bolted to the boat. I was a lil nervous about drilling and bolting, but the RAM stuff is awesome. They make mounts for everything so if I wanted to swap out the phone for gps or anything it's a snap. Plus this holds the device very very well. Very solid. I can shoot you more pics of what I did if you want. Just lemme know.
Old     (ILrider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Derek- How is your Ipod tied in to the radio? I only have mine plugged in to a 3.5mm cable going in to the rca inputs on the back of the radio. I would love to have mine plugged in like yours and charge at the same time.
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Thanks Derek. Would be really interested in seeing some more pictures. Having just got our boat late last year I know for sure that drilling will make me nervous!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-07-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Troy, it looks like he is using the regular iphone usb cord that presumably is being plugged into the radio.

This is what most people whose HUs dont have any ipod compatibility, just use this cord that has rca outputs and charges. It is supposed to be better audio quality-wise because it outputs a line-level signal.

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-07-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Good info here.
Old     (ILrider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Good idea Ray but it's not compatible with the IPhone.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-07-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Are you sure Troy? They didn't guarantee it would work with my iPod Touch 2nd gen. when i got it a year ago but it worked fine. I had thought the iphone/touch both used 5v or whatever it is that differs from all other ipods, but that they were the same in that regard although i more than likely could be wrong
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-07-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
ebay has the best deal
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-07-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Brian yours is attached to your window. Does it ever pop off or does it do really well where its at. I would rather do that than bolt it to my dash.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-07-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
My head unit has a 4' USB pigtail coming off the back. iPhone connects via USB and standard iPhone cord. iPhone is charged and can be used to control the music. It works awesome. Ram mount is bolted to boat - I was nervous about it at first but with the RAM monts you can swap it out for any other holder or gps or whatever. Bolted install looks pretty clean. I'll try to shoot a couple pics when I get home.
Old     (Showmethebutter)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
If anyones considering a new headunit with Ipod connectivity i highly reccomend the Fusion ip-500.

Got one on my boat and Sunseeker have just started using them as they are ipx7 waterproof and the ipod slots in the front. very neat setup.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-07-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
Here are a few pics of my mount. Stainless bolts with nylock nuts behind them. Mount is very secure and the holder is perfect for the iPhone with a case. If you don't have a case on the iPhone, the standard iPhone holder is probably better. This one works perfectly IMO - drop the iPhone in, squeeze the two arms inward, plug it in and good to go. You can turn that big wingnut and position the holder just right. The balls that it squeezes are rubber and hold very nicely. No, I dont work for RAM mount - I've used their stuff on my ATV too, which is even more demanding, and it holds up very well (GPS mount).

When drilling the fiberglass, make sure to apply the blue masking tape over the area you intend to install. Mark the hole locations, then drill nice and smooth, and you'll be fine.

My headunit is the Sony CDX-M60ui. I love it because you can control the music via the iPhone. I wasn't even going to put a headunit in (go straight to WS420), but my wife talked me into it. Just in case anyone brings a CD...

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-07-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Derek,
Does that head unit charge your iphone at the same time?
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-07-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Yes
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-07-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
The Pro.fit mount I have you can screw to the boat or use an adhesive backed mounting pad. I'm using the adhesive mount and have about 50 hours on my boat since installing it and it's still rock solid. And it looks almost identical to the one pictured above. I just wouldn't want to put any more holes in my boat than I absolutely have to...
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       05-10-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Thanks Derek. How easy is it to get the nylock nuts located behind the fiberglass?
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-10-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Brian yours is attached to your window. Does it ever pop off or does it do really well where its at. I would rather do that than bolt it to my dash.
No its never come off, even in some pretty good chop its stayed on no problem.

FWI, the wiring harness wakeboarder5 posted is what im using and it works great with my Ipod Classic. My girlfreinds Itouch doesnt work with this harness.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-10-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
I use a suction cup window mount holder I bought at Autozone and it works great! I think I paid 15 bux for it.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-10-2010, 10:42 PM Reply   
clean mount!
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-10-2010, 11:07 PM Reply   
Nyloc nuts are easy to install. Shouldn't have any trouble.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Last year I bought an iPod holder that stuck in the cigarette lighter in the boat and had a flexible arm but it didn't work to well as it would move around with rough water. My cig lighter doesn't work anyway so with my ballast install I just finished I had a guy that cut some plexi for me and bend it. I also had him cut me some cutting board ABS plastic for the pump mounts. I just pulled the Ipod holder part off and grinded that mount in the back off and glued it to the plexi glass. From there it's just 3M'd to the arm rest. I try not to put any holes in the boat if needed. Also will work great as I will be able to adjust volume/song while I have my finger on the throttle.
Attached Images

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
bcrider-

That setup of yours is perfect for what I am looking for. I imagine some aluminum will work just fine vs. plexi.

Thx.

Mario-
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Little late n the post but here's mine. It's from Best Buy and in my truck, car, motorcycle, and Boat. It the "floating mount"

It's nice, small, and hidden and at my fingertips.

Downside is no charger adapter built in.
Name:  DSC_1348.jpg
Views: 3887
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  DSC_1349.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  DSC_1350.jpg
Views: 3922
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  DSC_1351.jpg
Views: 3827
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  DSC_1352.jpg
Views: 3866
Size:  32.0 KB
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-28-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Did you ever run into any issues steering