Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
We are finally here and ready for some camping. Problem is Pedro is full for the weekend. does anybody have extra space or know of people looking to cancel?

Also any info on Melones, we have not been there in almost 5 years.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
Melones is our home lake and we are there 4-5 times a week. I live locally and much prefer Melones to Pedro...especially on holiday weekends...The lake itself is far less crowded and there are numerous coves and the ability to head upriver away from the main body...if you head up river the water is perfect all day...
When we were there fourth of july weekend we went up river past the two bridges and shared the area with 3 other boats the whole day...perfect!
There are two main campgrounds...Gloryhole and Tuttletown....we have stayed at both..if you need access to a marina, convience store, etc -Glory Hole is the better choice...Tuttletown is usually quiter, bigger sites, and cleaner.
If you want more info let me know...since we are there all the time I know the lake and facilities like the back of my hand.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
do we needs res for Melones or is it first come first serve?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Make reservations if possible....
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
website or phone number?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
http://www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/newmelones/camping.html
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Hey Kenny, good to see you made it, I also have a boat now..lol
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2009, 9:17 PM Reply   
I just booked tuttletown for sat sun mon site 61.. if anyone wants to come by and and say hi.. Kid Friendly campsite..
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
If you are up river (way up past the parrots ferry bridge and then some) and see a white and red centurion with a red bimini...stop and say hi we should be out all three days...
should be a great weekend bring the sunscreen it was 101 up here today and rising!
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-27-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
i got a site already at melones...tuttletown 114... come by and say hi... always down to meet new people...

(Message edited by technarider on August 27, 2009)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
Jason, she just didn't know she ws a boat yet, lol.

Just got campsite 128/129 tuttletown. Any good advise is welcome..
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 11:10 PM Reply   
Once you get into Tuttletown...if you need any drinks, ice, etc it is much quicker to head to the quickie mart toward Sonora(right turn at entrance)....there is a nice big gas station with pull throughs for truck and boat and market...it is about a three-five minute drive from Tuttletown...Avoid the marina if you can...gas is obscenely expensive, and so is everything else...since you can't leave your boat in the water overnight anyway it is just as quick to run it up to the gas station outside the park. The owners of the market are a little sketch but they have all the basics at decent prices and gas is not ludicrous.

There have been some rattlesnake sightings that past few weeks around some of the restrooms...so if you have small kids be sure you are watching when they head that way since they blend right into the red dirt. No one has been bit this year but still be careful.

The two best lanes at the launch are the outside ones...they are a bit of a tight fit so usually less used and the people who can't maneuver a boat to save their lives avoid them...easy way to save time..and avoid the scary boat drivers.

my best advice is take advantage of the lake being low...since you can't access your campsite from the shore...what we do is head up river and claim one of the "islands" and set up day camp there for the weekend. If you get out early one morning you can claim a little island set up a pop-up tent , chairs, etc if you want to be able to have a place right on the lake to picnic, rotate in and out of the boat, etc. also great if you have dogs who need to run around without a leash...they have no where to run off too in the middle of the lake. We have even left some stuff at our day camp overnight no problems( not sure I would do that on a holiday weekend though).
Sorry for the novel, hope this is helpful...if you want anymore "local" info let me know I have plenty to share.

(Message edited by megsswm on August 27, 2009)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-28-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Meghan,
Thank you for the heads up. I didn't know you couldn't leave the boat in over night there. Thank sucks.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-28-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you contact the Glory Hole marina they may be able to get you a slip...but it is across the lake from Tuttletown which will not do you much good.
Occassionally we have set up camp on one of the islands on the lake, then we just anchor the boat to the shore and camp out there...no restrooms though, so unless you have someone with a houseboat or something may not work with small kids. Since the campsite is so close to the ramp it is not too much hassle to pull it out, and the sites are plenty big to keep the trailer at.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Meghan, lots of great info! Thank You .. we should have a little WW GTG sat or sunday night? sounds like we are all pretty close to each other..

Again we are site 61 at tuttletown

boat pic is in my profile
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-28-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
I just found out this morning we won't be out labor day weekend...husband has to go out of town for work last minute...damn!
You all should have a blast...like I said we love Melones and have never had major issues...and since we only live 20 minutes away it is perfect.
Feel free to hit me up again if you need any more info, always happy to help.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-29-2009, 12:07 AM Reply   
is 120 a smoother shot than 4 to get there?
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-29-2009, 3:38 AM Reply   
Melones is a great place to camp, Like Meghan said, good water is there. We go there alot too, Im also in Sonora. we had reservations for Labor day but we had to cancel. We might just go for the day

Kenny you said you are in 128 & 129 (Tuttletown) Those are walk in campsites and theres is only parking for vehicles, not trailers you might have to leave your boat at the launch ramp parking lot, Those are very small spaces, if you can change sites I would recomend it.

Issac space 61 is a good site, no shade so bring a canopy or you will be frying, a bathroom is close by and plenty of parking for a truck and trailer. I have stayed there before and we were pretty close in getting the ones next to you (44 & 45). but at the last minute we canceled our camping trip.

So if you guys come up here 120 is your best bet. Once in Jamestown turn on Rawhide road (Left) follow the road to the second Y intersection and then make a left towards Angels Camp (Once there you are 15 Min away from the Park). and like meghan said get gas out side either in Jamestown or at the pull through gas station before Tuttletown. New Melones has a friendly atmosphere, the camp host and park ranger will patrol occasionally just to make sure everything is ok. respect the rules and you should be fine, Kid and family friendly, Dogs on a leash. and when you are out there since the water is a bit low lookout for hazards on the water, make sure you scout the area before you start boarding.

Peace and have a safe Holiday
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-29-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
water low, how much debris is floating right now, allot a little?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-29-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
+1 for 120/108 to Rawhide Road...much faster than way less hassle than going through downtown sonora or up 4.

Kenny-the water is low ...less floating debris to worry about...most of the obstacles you will see sticking out of the water-islands-trees, etc. If you head a ways up river is where you will start to see the occassional piece of tree, etc floating down...
When we were there last week the only spot that had a tree that was kind of hard to see as you approached it was....after the first(49) bridge as you are making a left jog just past some of the floating bathrooms and approaching the second bridge (parrots ferry) there are some trees just coming out of the water on the right toward the shore. Someone may have stuck a flag on them by now though.
BLM is pretty good about buoy marking most of the islands that may be hazards.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-29-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
This will be my first time at that lake.. and after a quick google maps look... i am going to by a shade tent...

Can't wait
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-29-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
heading to Pedro for the day today, whats a good ramp and way from Manteca. anything/where to stay away from
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Pedro- Bigger ramp at Fleming meadows but it can be a walk to the truck at the end of the day. Mocisan point you can park in the dirt right off the ramp and usually the best water will be up that way.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
burabnized.. if you happen to change your mind or want to come say hi, come look for us... Id love to meet new people out there..Thanks for the info on spot 61, ill be sure to bring a popup canopy.. we have a toyhauler as well so we have an awning that we can open up..
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Thanks Issac If I aint doing anything with my wife I might take you up on that. Yesterday we hit triple digits over here and we hope to get the same next week for some good water time.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Is there now a daily fee to use melones? I remember it being free 5 years ago..
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Yes there is now a daily fee....although if you are camping there the fee is included in your camping rate...if you are not camping the day use per car is $6, and or $8 if you are also launching a boat. If you have someone in your group who is a senior citizen or a veteran you get additional discounts.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       08-31-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Hey kenny after going to Flemming Meadows and now been to Mocisan, 100% would got to Mocisan Point. No large body of water to go across, from launch ramp you are about 1/4 mile from wakeboarding down a slough with 200 foot walls.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
will have to try that point out this weekend but the sad thing is we will now be at Blue Oaks side for the entire weekend so it looks like a long ride there and back.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
how long of a drive to Moc point?
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       08-31-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
an extra 10 minutes from flemming on highway..well worth it
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
what about hitting it straight from 120? do you know about how lont via boat from flemming?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
If you boat from one marina to the other its like 18 miles on the water. If you drove from Oakdale to Pedro to get to Moccasin Pt. you drive past the LaGrange Rd. you would take to Flemming Meadows a few more miles on 108/120 then take 120 towards yosemite. The sign will say East Don Pedro I believe also. Cross the bridge then look for the sign on the left. Way better up there. Shade to camp in, park you truck closer to the ramp and closer to the narrow channels to stay out of the wind. Better marina also.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
thanks Rich and Jason I will scout the area this weekends for future weekends.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
any spots with hazrds I need to know of in that area?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
As the lake gets lower islands start to pop up at the mocassin end of the lake. Nothing to worry about as they mark things out really well all over the lake. Labor Day already! Dang the summers flying by. I'll be there next weekend with the family. This weekend will be crazy. Have fun in the madhouse parking at Blue Oaks.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
we are keeping the boat in the water so hopefully no worries
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Steep shoreline at Blue Oaks.
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-01-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Ill be out there on the Axis.. too bad its packed, so we cant camp out there... guess ill have to drive back and forth to merced each day..
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
burbanized, so the directions you posted are for tuttletown right?

"So if you guys come up here 120 is your best bet. Once in Jamestown turn on Rawhide road (Left) follow the road to the second Y intersection and then make a left towards Angels Camp (Once there you are 15 Min away from the Park)."
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
Yes those are for tuttletown.....

120/108 to Jamestown...left on Rawhide Road...
If for some reason you miss Rawhide you can always keep going up to Sonora(just another mile or so) and take 49 toward angels camp...follow 49 and its on your left just past the pull through gas station...