Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-13-2014, 5:56 AM Reply   
In my Mastercraft I have already replaced the 4 Clarion in boats with JL 6.5’s. Now I want to add to 2 tower cans and a sub. My question is, is it better to run the in boats on one amp, the tower on another, and the sub on a mono? Or should I do a 5 channel for in boats and sub, and 2 channel for the tower? Or 5 channel for in boats and tower, and mono for the sub? Or 6 channel for in boats and tower, and a mono for the sub? I’m looking at JL amps and Arc Audio amps, any others worth mentioning?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-13-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
% chnl amps typically have 4 full-range chnls and a low-pass sub chnl. I like the 5 or 6 chnl amp for in-boats and sub and 2 chnl for towers option. But, the sub and amount of bass you are looking for, may dictate whether you should go with a 4 chnl for the in-boats and a dedicated sub amp. Without knowing the specifics, a Wet Sounds SD-6 could easily drive 4 in-boats, a sub and 2-4 tower speakers.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-13-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted1 View Post
In my Mastercraft I have already replaced the 4 Clarion in boats with JL 6.5’s. Now I want to add to 2 tower cans and a sub. My question is, is it better to run the in boats on one amp, the tower on another, and the sub on a mono? Or should I do a 5 channel for in boats and sub, and 2 channel for the tower? Or 5 channel for in boats and tower, and mono for the sub? Or 6 channel for in boats and tower, and a mono for the sub? I’m looking at JL amps and Arc Audio amps, any others worth mentioning?
Scott,
The performance value of your amplifier selection will depend on how well matched it is with your specific speakers. In same cases a single chassis amplifier will work perfectly while it requires two or three chassis in other systems. Speakers absolutely dictate amplification. So select your tower speakers and sub first. Then share more information.
Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-13-2014, 7:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replys.

David,
For sub(s) i'm thiking JL 12w6. I havent decided on 1 or 2 yet though. The possibility of 1 12W7 is not out yet either... And as far as the tower cans go, I'm not sure. I just know that i don't want HLCD's. I don't want to project sound that far...
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-13-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted1 View Post
Thanks for the replys.

David,
For sub(s) i'm thiking JL 12w6. I havent decided on 1 or 2 yet though. The possibility of 1 12W7 is not out yet either... And as far as the tower cans go, I'm not sure. I just know that i don't want HLCD's. I don't want to project sound that far...
With a single 12W6 and four interior coaxials you could run a JL Audio HD900/5 or a JL Audio XD1000/5....although a little more power for that sub would be better. That means you will definitely need two independent amplifiers considering the tower.
With dual 12W6s you could run dual XD1000/5s with one running a sub plus interior coaxials and the other amplifier running a sub plus bridged on the tower.
Another dual amplifier route would be a JL Audio XD800/8 running four channels to the in-boat coaxials plus four channels bridged into a pair of tower speakers. Then the second amplifier would drive the sub(s). For example, like an HD750/1 or an XD1000/1 driving a single 12W6.
Unless the two subs are side-by-side in the same location and oriented the same and loaded the same, I am going to strongly recommend against running dual subs when it means in separate locations. For efficiency and for sound quality, run the best single sub in the best location and power it to its full potential (unless of course you can compound load two side-by-side).

You might check in with Odin at Earmark Marine and find out when JL Audio is planning to ship their 880 tower speaker & pods. That's going to be a serious SQ tower speaker!