Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-25-2002, 8:06 PM Reply   
Which do you have and looking for feedback.

Thanks
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-25-2002, 8:21 PM Reply   
Wakeboard Pro - AWESOME! No complaints, no regrets, works great - and *almost* anyone can provide a solid pull.
Old    matt_dettman            12-25-2002, 9:13 PM Reply   
Ty,

I'm with Bill. For the couple hundred extra dollars, it's a no-brainer. I put Wakeboard Pro on all my stock Tige's. Temp gauge, hour meter, speed or tach driven, digital readout...the list goes on! Easy to install and you even get to drill a big ol' hole in your boat! Check with me on pricing too!

Happy New Year!

Matt
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-25-2002, 10:05 PM Reply   
I've had the cruise in both of my boats and loved it. It's really simple! While I don't think the cruise is as attractive as the pro.. I don't think the pro is worth the extra money.
Note: I've never used the pro..

B
Old    jdr            12-26-2002, 7:00 AM Reply   
This topic comes up pretty often. I currently have the Wakeboard Cruise in a 2001 MC X-30. I apologize in advance for the long response.

Like Barry, I love it and I think it does its job perfectly. However, unlike Barry, I have driven boats with Wakeboard Pro. If I had it to do over again I would purchase the Pro model. With the cruise, it works just like the cruise control on your car: get to the speed you want (using a pitot based, analog readout speed-o) and hit the button. PP will hold that speed, very well all day long. If the rider falls, the driver simply shifts into neutral (this puts the PP into “resume” mode) then turns around and picks up the rider. At this point, the light on the PP will be flashing fast. Once the rider is up and the boat gets near the set speed, the light will go solid and PP has again taken over.

With the Pro model, you set the speed you want using a digital display, so if you want 22.5 mph, that’s what you set. The speed is monitored via a digital speedo using the paddle wheel instead of the pitot valve. When the boat reaches the set speed PP beeps to let you know its taken over. Now the Pro does have other features that have been mentioned above, which are all pretty cool, but just the fact that all you do is set the speed and go is very nice.

Scenario: You are out in your boat and you would like to wakeboard. The person that is going to be driving is not familiar with your boat and PP. Instructions using Cruise: “get the boat up to 22 mph, hit the button. If I tell it’s too fast, or too slow, hit one of these buttons”. Fairly simple instructions, but it also a lot of information for someone who is probably already a little nervous from operating someone else’s expensive boat . Instructions using Pro: Since you would already know your preferred speed because its your boat, you set the display to the speed and then tell the driver to gradually accelerate to that speed until PP beeps.

In a nutshell, I think Pro is much easier to operate and more accurate. Again, sorry for the long post.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-26-2002, 7:10 AM Reply   
The cruise model is paddle wheel also now. Very informative though.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-26-2002, 10:07 AM Reply   
My question is for the extra 400.00 bucks is the wakeboard pro really worth it for the average person. They both work off a paddle wheel and installing them seams easy enough. I was at my dealer the other day and asked them about perfect pass they recommened wakeboard cruise, said thats all they use there price installed was 1100.00 for cruise and 2100.00 for pro I think they think most people are dum and don't check the price, won't be buying it there. just need to make my mind up if I want to spend the extra bucks and if I really need to have the pro.
Old    color_pros            12-26-2002, 10:40 AM Reply   
Can you adjust the cruise for the amount of weight in the boat and how quik the throtle reacts to it?
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-26-2002, 12:04 PM Reply   
Don't rule out Accuski's speed controls. They also utilize a paddle wheel and have some features that Perfect Pass doesn't offer.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-26-2002, 1:21 PM Reply   
Tom- $2100 for WB Pro is outrageuos. I think the usual price for WB Pro is around $1100. Mine was installed when they built my boat, I paid cost and I think it was around $850 for WB Pro.

Haven't used the cruise version but the WB Pro is awesome. Will never own a boat without it again. Great for the driver fantastic for the rider.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-26-2002, 4:33 PM Reply   
accuski charges too much for their paddle wheel version.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-26-2002, 4:36 PM Reply   
So is it worth the extra money to have a digital readout?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-26-2002, 4:44 PM Reply   
Oh, and the cruise does not have the adjustment change for weighting the boat, but is it needed?
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-26-2002, 7:52 PM Reply   
Ty, I had the wakeboard cruise installed on my 2001 Malibu Wakesetter LSV which is a 23ft boat at 3500# plus we added about 1800# ballast and wedge so there was alot of pull on the boat. It had the 325 monsoon also. The cruise had the paddle wheel and it performed very well. You take off, let the boat plane, punch the button and it takes over for a smooth pull. You do not have to make any adjustments for weight, speed, etc. Same as a car! I now have a 2002 VLX with Digital Pro and it works slightly better as we punch in the speed and it takes over when the speed parameters are met. I do like the Digital version slightly better, but it is in a lighter boat by 700#. When a rider falls all you do with cruise is bring boat back to speed the same as digital and cruise takes over. They are very similar in use and I was very skeptical as you are about cruise, but satisfied once I figured it out. Probably if I was doing it over again I would spend the grand and get digital. GOOD LUCK!
Old    sprucie            12-26-2002, 8:19 PM Reply   
Go with the PP Pro
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-27-2002, 7:56 AM Reply   
So hypothetically if the two units were about 150-200.00 difference, definately go pro?!
Old    jdr            12-27-2002, 8:37 AM Reply   
Yes, the WB Cruise does use the paddlewheel for the speed control. What I meant in my statement was the fact that the speedo you are looking at is controlled by a pitot valve. Whereas, the Pro uses the paddle wheel for the speedo AND the the speed control. I feel that the paddle wheel is more acurate in determining the actual speed of the boat and would be more reliable. Again, I currently have the cruise model and I am very happy with it. However, in my opinion, the Pro is worth a few hundred dollars more.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-27-2002, 3:27 PM Reply   
Perfect pass pro is 1099.00 and wakeboard cruise is 700.00 on the perfect pass web site thats a 399.00 difference is it really worth the extra money? Does it work and better than cruise?
Old    jdr            12-29-2002, 4:18 AM Reply   
Tom, in my opinion, yes, Pro is worth $ 400 more. Probably not much more than that, but definitely worth the difference.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-30-2002, 10:54 AM Reply   
The $400 gives you the ability to set the speed before the rider is even in the water. It also gives you a true speedo and water temp.
Old     (tennyson0)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-31-2002, 7:41 AM Reply   
I just recently got the Wakeboard Pro. I would say go with the Pro for the adjustment abilities alone. I had to change the settings about 10 times before I got it right (due to weight) and had I not had this ability it wouldn't have worked worth a crud! It would not keep an even pull out of the box with the factory settings. It varied by as much as 2-3mph. Plus, knowing what the temp of the water is before you freeze to death in it is cool for bragging later! Good luck, you are going to love it!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-31-2002, 7:44 AM Reply   
what did you change your settings to? I am assuming the kdw and any others?
thanks
Old     (tennyson0)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-31-2002, 2:44 PM Reply   
I honestly am not sure what I ended up with without looking at it so I will check it out and let you know! We run about 2200lbs plus a few people and I think I ended up with kdw-120 and the nn-100. This seemed to work a whole lot better at keeping it within 2/10ths of a mph. It took me awhile to figure out what was best but I am certainly thankful that I had this option!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
I haven't had to tweak mine and I'm running about 1700Lbs. It was set to KPH and Celcius when I took delivery of the boat. Also the support from the factory is superb.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
ihve had up to 4000lbs.. and w/ no adjustmesnts it held beautifully....
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-02-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
Just installed Perfect Pass yesterday on my boat. Chris is right the support from the Factory is amazing. It was real easy to install. But then again my boat came with the paddlwheel already so it was just a matter of connecting wires. Real easy, I had called my shop and they wanted 3 -5 hours of shop time to install. It took me and my bro only a little more than an hour. But then again we didn't have to drill through the boat for the paddlewheel. We got the wakeboard pro and I would highly recommend that. I never used any Perfect Pass before but the Pro has some extra features that I think are worth it.
Old    thinair            01-02-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
Didn't someone used to have a hook up for these? If so I would greatly appreciate a e-mail.
Old    mcmaster1180            01-03-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
A.P. Just have a question for ya. I bought a 02 supra ssv this past summer unfortunately I didn't get PP with it. Does mine have the paddle wheel in it already? Its in storage so i can't look to see
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
Jason,
I'm 99.9% sure your boat has the paddlewheel in it. I think it’s kind of weird that the overwhelming consensus is a paddlewheel is more accurate for determining speed and that pitot tubes are kind of a hassle because they tend to clog. But Skiers Choice installs paddlewheels in all their boats and most other boat manufacturers have pitot tubes. Anyway, Jason to my understanding all Moombas come with paddlewheels and I believe Supra do also as they are made by the same company and are the luxury line of Skiers Choice. I had emailed Skiers Choice and they informed me the paddlewheel they use is the same one as Perfect Pass. I ordered my PerfectPass through the company (PerfectPass) and I told them I already had a paddlewheel installed. So they threw in a “jump kit” for the existing paddlewheel. The jump kit consisted of four wires. I went underneath the dash and found the paddlewheel wire and just spliced into it. The rest of the install was just a matter of connecting wires and the servo motor. The tech support at Perfect Pass and Skiers Choice are great so if you have any questions you can email them.
Old    mcmaster1180            01-03-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
thx for the info i'll email just to make sure
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-03-2003, 11:59 PM Reply   
Don't pay $2100 for perfect pass. Installation is so easy, just about anyone can do it. If your dealer insists on $2100, look around, find the kit for <1000 and install it yourself.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
I have a Tige with paddle wheel and digital display. The digital display has MPH, Hour meter, depth guage, water temp, air temp, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. My question is... Would I just splice the PP Pro into the existing wires and leave the my existing display functioning the same? Any ideas where the PP Pro shoud be mounted?
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-04-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
I'm not familiar with Tige so my post may be useless. The paddlewheel PerfectPass uses is made by airmar. It consists of five wires. If you have the same paddlewheel then you can just splice into it with a jumpkit perfectpass offers. As far as putting the PP guage. It is a 5" guage usually replaces one of the speedo guages. What does you dash looklike?
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
My guages are the same size. I can't see replacing my existing digital but maybe the needle speedo.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-04-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
The needle speedo would be the one to replace. The PP gauge also has a digital speedometer on it. It gives a constant reading whether or not the PP is on.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-04-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
What tape do you guys use? duct tape or masking tape or what?