Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hypripper)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
I scored some hard tanks out of a Malibu and I want to put them into my 1st gen star. So I guess my question is how do I make them work off the stock fill and drain. It only has the belly sac currently.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-14-2016, 12:02 PM Reply   
reversible pump or fill and drain? you could split the lines 3 ways and get it done, would take forever though. if you have fill and drain pumps, you need to repeat the process to drain unless you want to drain to bilge.

you've basically tripled your fill time. you need to add a fill pump and thru-hull at a minimum. I'd also add a drain pump and avoid using the bilge pump so heavily. to do it right, you need 2 fills and 2 drains, 1 of each for each tank. will give you better fill time and much more control.

Very easy to do with a little homework.
get brass thru hull like this: https://jet.com/product/detail/b2849...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

reversible pumps make install a tad easier, flow rate goes down and cost goes up with reversibles.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-14-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
Can you even do reversible pump on hard tanks? Wouldn't it make a really bad vacuum in the tank. Just asking
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2016, 12:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wouldn't it make a really bad vacuum in the tank. Just asking
I would venture to guess there is a vent line for the tank(s).

.... using 1 stock pump to fill 3x tanks will take forever but would be possible. I would "T" after the intake and run a branch to your existing belly sac, and the second branch to the rear and "T" that again to each rear hard tank. I would wire in two pumps (one more than you have now), one to fill belly, a second for the rear tanks so you can fill/drain them all separately. I would also valve off half of the rear tank branch so you could just fill one side or the other for surfing.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-14-2016, 12:28 PM Reply   
hard tanks need vents.

Nicks, got it on valves. you could put ball valves on each bag fill line to control flow. same for the drain. more valves gives you more flexibility. so if you want to weigh down the belly and starboard side, close the valve to the port rear tank and fill.

super easy to add pumps and switches. do it once and do it right IMO. drilling through the hull isn't bad either
Old     (hypripper)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I know multiple pumps and switches would be more versatile but I don't really surf and I just tell people to move if I need to even out the load. Also the time it takes to fill isn't a huge issue because I'll just fill them and ride all day that way. The flip side is that it might be easier to just add a separate system for the tanks and leave stock setup alone. And yes the tanks have vents
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-14-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
rear fill and drain would be fairly easy. used a similar system for bags under bow seats. 1 fill and 1 drain for 2 bags. worked great.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-25-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
I have a single reversible pump from WakeMakers that fills both of my rear 750 sacks under 8 minutes. The Johnson ballast pump is supposedly faster than the Jabsco. And the length of power wire matters, as well as wire gauge. Filling 3 hard tanks (probably less net capacity than 2 750s) wouldn't take long at all under the right conditions.