Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-07-2015, 8:32 AM Reply   
So the other day my stereo randomly went to max volume and it appears that my existing pair of Icon 8's are toast. I am not a stereo expert by any means so I am not sure if these can be repaired or not, but I will try that before replacing them; however, if they do need to be replaced I am wondering if I should use this opportunity to upgrade to Rev 8's. I primarily use these for surfing and in boat music. I wakeboard a good amount, but I am concerned w/ being obnoxious on the water and blasting the shoreline as I live on a smaller lake. There are definitely times though that I would enjoy hearing them wakeboarding. I don't want to change my amp so the Rev 10's are out. My primary questions are as follows:

1) Will the Rev 8's be so loud that the shoreline will be subjected to our horrible taste in music?
2) Will the Rev 8's be harsh for the boat riders (they will be on the lower side mounts of a 2012 210)
3) Will the Rev 8's work well for surfing?
4) I am powering the Icon's with 200 W each - will this be enough for the Rev 8's? I don't want to change the amp

I am relatively happy w/the Icon 8's. They sound great in the boat, but I do have to crank them even for surfing.
Old     (99ProAir)      Join Date: May 2015       07-07-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
Answers:
1) The REV8's project very well so yes they can be loud if you turn the volume up
2) Not harsh but your passengers may want to move out of the way when you turn them up
3) Absolutely great for surfing (and wake boarding)
4) Yes. 200 watts per speaker is what they are rated for

I would find out why your HU's volume randomly increased. You wouldn't want to blow out your new REV8's.

Keep in mind the ICONs are a cone driver with tweeter, while the REV8's are an HLCD. The sound generated from each will be different.
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-07-2015, 10:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for the response - definitely going to figure out why the volume malfunctioned before I install anything new.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2015, 6:34 PM Reply   
If your primary focus is surfing and near-field listening, Im not sure I would call going from an 8" coax to an 8" HLCD, an upgrade. 200W rms is plenty IMO. At 200W rms, an 8" coax with a 1" tweeter can be plenty load and project across the lake with ease. So you are likely supplying music to the neighbors without realizing it.

Now, going from an 8" coax to a 10" HLCD, even with the same amp, would be an upgrade. Deeper mid-bass and more output for sure.

1) answered
2) not harsh, but certainly not as warm as a coax like the Icon-8
3) Sure and give you wake range projection, but if you plan to go to a different speaker, skip the Rev-8 and go to the Rev-10
4) yes