Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2015, 7:24 PM Reply   
Words I spoke today at the celebration of life for my son, Nick Jarvis

Quote:
God blessed me with being Nick’s Dad. He was my “Nicki”, my little softball player, my little cub scout, my little knee-boarder, my ski buddy, my boat driver, my wakeboard coach, the toughest sales manager I have ever had, and my best friend.
Most don’t know that I knew Nick before his mother. I first met Nick as a toddler at Miss Betty’s Daycare sitting on Uncle Don’s lap and he would say “this is my little buddy.” But the picture that I see as clear today as I did 30 years ago, is that innocent grin when he peeked around the corner for the first time at his Mother’s apartment on our first date. That is a gift I will never, never forget.
That innocent grin developed to several kinds. My three favorite kinds of grins were:

1. The Gotcha Grin which immediately followed the all-out kick to the shins as he ran away from his big brother, or as he bumped the throttle while I was on the back of the swim platform to throw me in the lake.
2. The Your My Friend Grin which was so contagious to each and every one in this room. If you ever met Nick, you saw this grin.
3. The Soul-Mate Grin which was unique and outright irreplaceable with his wife, Cathy.

So there have been several requests about a seat in Nick’s boat in heaven. This one was so bittersweet for me because, I was Nick’s most trusted boat driver. But I can personally assure each and every one of you, that Nick gave his life to Christ and I am no longer the driver. My seat will be in the bow with his mother, rear facing watching Nick, as the Lord drives.
Attached Images

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-27-2015, 7:32 PM Reply   
So sorry for your loss...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-28-2015, 4:44 PM Reply   
My deepest condolences for your loss, Chris. May he rest in peace.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2015, 9:49 PM Reply   
I'm sorry for you loss and I'm sorry if this comes off wrong, but could you expand more about nick and how he passed.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
Very sorry for you loss Chris.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Such an honor to have known Nick. What an inspiring service and testament to an inspiring young man. Gone too soon. All our love, Chris

Last edited by rickt; 06-29-2015 at 7:33 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
Very sorry to hear, thoughts and prayers are with everyone. Nick, with the help of Chris, helped put wakeboarding in Indiana. Will be taking a reflective ride today to honor Nick.

G, I believe it was melanoma that presented itself quickly, and the family has asked that donations be made to melanoma research.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2015, 7:48 AM Reply   
Chris, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a very close friend to melanoma, and will never forget the last time he was on my boat. It seems that this terrible disease takes the best from us, and far, far too early. You and your family will be in my thoughts.
Old     (JP)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-29-2015, 8:34 AM Reply   
Chris--please accept the Powers family's deepest condolences. Very sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-01-2015, 7:55 PM Reply   
Prayers sent your way. My father had it and got rid of it. Sadly it's making its way back I believe. So sorry for your loss. If there is anything you need let the WakeWorld community know. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we will be there. That's what's amazing about the watersports community.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-01-2015, 8:20 PM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's hard to comprehend the fragileness of life. Nick sound like he was an amazing guy who's life here was too short.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-02-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
damn man another one gone to soon ..im so sorry for your loss i have no words