Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-23-2015, 12:10 PM Reply   
Guys-

Had aftermarket amp and radio installed in my 2013 Mb. Long story short in his parking lot it sounded great. Once we got it to our lake and had it out running we turn on radio. Got some major interference in all speakers. Had no clue why. So, did my research and found it is somewhat common.

What I don't know is how to fix it. The guy who did my setup is a radio guy and has never encountered this issue. He is a complete idiot I guess. So am I when it comes to this which is why I took it to him to fix. It is now 40 miles away on the lake on my lift. So now I have to figure it out.

I have heard of some sort of in line filter? Not sure where to buy so any help is appreciated. OR any other thoughts.

It was wired to come on when key went hot. So in the ON position it sounds great. While running sounds like crap. He (guy who put it in) said try to take the red wire into the yellow wire so it is "on" all the time. DId the and still have interference. Checked grounds on radio seem fine. Haven't checked amp wires but ... just thought I would see if one of you is an expert and can say .... "Hey do this and it should help....."

Thanks
Old     (Germ512)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-23-2015, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Guys-

Had aftermarket amp and radio installed in my 2013 Mb. Long story short in his parking lot it sounded great. Once we got it to our lake and had it out running we turn on radio. Got some major interference in all speakers. Had no clue why. So, did my research and found it is somewhat common.

What I don't know is how to fix it. The guy who did my setup is a radio guy and has never encountered this issue. He is a complete idiot I guess. So am I when it comes to this which is why I took it to him to fix. It is now 40 miles away on the lake on my lift. So now I have to figure it out.

I have heard of some sort of in line filter? Not sure where to buy so any help is appreciated. OR any other thoughts.

It was wired to come on when key went hot. So in the ON position it sounds great. While running sounds like crap. He (guy who put it in) said try to take the red wire into the yellow wire so it is "on" all the time. DId the and still have interference. Checked grounds on radio seem fine. Haven't checked amp wires but ... just thought I would see if one of you is an expert and can say .... "Hey do this and it should help....."

Thanks
I have the same problem only a in my tower speakers tho. I can get it to sound good when its on the trailer but the sec. I hit the water I get feedback. It's driving me crazy!!!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-23-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
No expert but it sounds like your amp and stereo are hooked up to your starting battery. You need to have all you stereo powered by a separate battery other than your starting battery or your going to get interference.
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-23-2015, 1:53 PM Reply   
Ground or Cable size issue.... make sure that all ground go straight to the battery not to another accessory ground. (make sure power and ground wires are large enough) Grounding is not an issue usually in a regular auto application.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2015, 1:53 PM Reply   
common grounds can also cause issues. buy a filter for your signal wire(s) and it should clean it up quite a bit.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-23-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
MB does not know how to wire a dual bank switch and audio gear.This, unfortunately, can lead to engine noise when amps are added. With the 1/2/BOTH switch MB uses, battery direct terminations, is actually part of the problem.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
I had the same issue with my MB

You have to pull a seperate power/ grounds from the stereo head unit to the amplifiers and from there you need a dedicated power/ground wire straight to the battery. The noise is caused by motor noise. It is the best solution
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-24-2015, 4:45 PM Reply   
Get a blue seas power/ground distribution hub and route all stereo accessories to that hub (Head unit, bluetooth, equalizer, etc). Run a 4ga power and 4ga ground from the distribution hub to the amp rack distribution blocks. Amp rack ground distribution block to stereo bank negative terminal. Amp rack power distribution block to battery switch.

Probably 2 hours of work and $60-75 in parts. Future proofs the addition of more electronics, such as ballast pumps.

Last edited by BaadLS1; 06-24-2015 at 4:50 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2015, 4:42 AM Reply   
I would do this..... Take it back to the installer and have it fixed. Any reputable installer will know how to fix the issue...
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
OK... so after reading all this. TELL me what I should try. (TRUEKAOTIK, I would but 1. I don't trust him and 2. its on my lift and a pain in the ass to trailer home for this stupid issue)

I am 99% sure this is setup off my starter battery. Now, I have no idea how to fix that. It is set to my ignition, which I would assume is set to the "starting" battery. Also the ground on the radio is connected to a tiny black ground wire coming out of the dash somewhere. I have located it and it seems tight but very small and my assumption is from something in the dash.

Do I need to check the amp as well?

Do I need to add another Battery in the Amp area that powers only the stereo? I have two batteries in my boat hooked "in line" it looks like. I can take pics this weekend. Frustrated as all get out. Boat without tunes just sucks.

Anyway, I will be there tomorrow working and trying anything I can think of to fix it. If I need to buy something like an "in line" filter can someone please post a link? and exactly what wires to attach it too. As you can see stereo's and wiring aren't my strong suit. Thanks.

S
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
Run constant power(yellow) and ground (black) from head unit to battery amplifier is on. Should fix it...
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-25-2015, 8:44 AM Reply   
It is a mistake that is more common for installers than you might think when applied to a boat.
They usually never start the boat like they do with a motor vehicle.
Some are nervous about using a fake-a-lake. Some are nervous about the condition of the impeller especially on older boats that don't appear to be kept after very well.
The identical approach to many boats does not yield the noise. They assume that the existing factory battery distribution and switching scheme is alright. They might assume that the boat owner doesn't want to pay extra for a rewire, or, they don't want to add it into the pricing for fear of not being competitive.
All may be flawed thinking but none the less it's common.

The main ingredient in remedying the noise is for all electronics in the signal path to reference the identical voltage source/potential and the same for the ground.
That often means completely removing all source B+ and grounds from the helm bus and/or wiring harness, with the respective B+ and grounds newly attached to the same battery (perhaps through the dual battery switch) or at the same distribution points.
No exceptions and it's usually just that simple.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
David....
Great write up.... but it might have well been in Chinese. lol B+ wiring?? lol
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-25-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
'B+' means the voltage side of the supply = 12V memory & 12V switched. Not the ground.

Just follow what TrueK recommended.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
TrueK-

So I know where the yellow wire is. That wire was cut when someone took the old system out of the boat. So when the new one was put in he connected the yellow to that wire. I need to follow that wire and see where is goes is what I am gathering.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
Cut that wire again and run it directly to where your amplifiers power is connected.. Same with the ground wire off the Head unit.. If you have a EQ or anything else stereo wise it needs to be connected at the same place as amp and Head unit..
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
so run the yellow wire to same connection as Amp's power source?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-25-2015, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yep and the ground

(just in case TrueK doesn't answer quick enough)
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2015, 11:25 AM Reply   
I like help
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-25-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
Based on the original description, the amp is wired battery direct. Not the most ideal with the style of dual bank switch MB uses.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-29-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
Got it!! Thanks for all the input guys!!! found a direct ground that should have been the one he used and he didn't. Switched that and bam!! SOUNDS GREAT!! Thanks for all the help!!