Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-18-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
Will somebody give Lyman a boat already?

Yes the economy is crap right now, but at least throw him a boat to use for 2010.

I do not know him, but I hear he has a great reputation of working hard for his sponsors... at the very least he will;

A) make your boat wake look amazing to new boat buyers because he slumps it and then slays it

-and-

2) he will wear t-shirts with your boat company name on it everywhere he goes (just ask Oakley)
Old     (gknott)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2010, 3:43 AM Reply   
Very true, he does slay it. He would bring a lot of attention to a boat manufacturer. He probably does have a great reputation of working with sponsors, but he also has another reputation of sinking one of Tige's boats when they sponsored him. I think thats is why he doesn't have a boat.
I am not bashing Lyman, I love his style and he's a great guy. These are just facts.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-19-2010, 4:10 AM Reply   
I don't think there is anyone out there more deserving of one but I've heard the same as Graham. From what I heard he didn't take it out of the water before one of the hurricanes that rolled through Florida a few years back came through. Could be completely unfounded but that's what I'd heard.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-19-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
LYMAN A BOAT???? AARON RATHY NEEDS A BOAT
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-19-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Um i need a new boat too.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-19-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Rathy rocks it too, but Lyman goes so huge constantly that I can't understand why a boat manufacturer wouldn't want that person repping their wake.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Graham,

i thoguht it was a malibu that happened with?
im not 100% sure
but on a stokemeter interview a while ago, he said the reason he has a malibu right now, is because he used to have one, and always liked it.

i know for sure, that the boat he has now, malibu was willing to give it to him at cost. no markup
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Doesnt he still have Gerry Nunn's old boat?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-19-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
I wish I could give him an old boat. It would be pretty funny to have him wear a shirt with my name on it all year!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-19-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
I did hear he destroyed a previous boat that he was given, but that was years ago.

Look how long he has had Gerry Nunn's 23 LSV for, what, 3+ years? It is still floating... doesnt that count for anything?

Yeah dave, Rathy needs a boat too, king of wake should never be without a boat sponsor. I don't know what that was all about, but it seems ridiculous.

Hey www.axiswakeboats.com, go get keith and rathy. With those two and of course Randall, you could have a sick team video for 2011. Just sayin.

"paul." would look really sweet on a black t-shirt.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-19-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Hook it up, Bishop!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-19-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
? do you guys think the market gets boat biz by having certain riders on there boats. Growing up racing motox and roadracing etc, we always talk about a rider getting a free ride or x amount of bikes and wondered if it impacts wakeboarding the same way. I guess my thoughts are most boat purchases are made by the financial decision maker, i.e mom dad or for myself me, i am also 34 so that may be part of it, i can see board sales, but there are so many great boats and soo little change to the hull design of most companies, i just wonder what % of sales really come from the boat sponsorship?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
How many people give a F who rides behind what. I like Lyman so this isnt a bash against him or any pro rider. But IMO unless your 16 you don't buy a boat because this guy or that girl is back by that company you buy a boat because you like it and it works for you. That being said If OJ or Osama Bin Laden was suddleny a sponcerd rider for your faverote boat company you can bet that wouldn't go over well.

For thoes that like to buy a boat because this person or that person rides behind it I have a Idea for Boat makers come out with a Twilight verson. A Edward eddition wrap would be awesome
you 16 year old's would be stoked LOL LOL
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-19-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
I agree with what was said above about people likely not choosing a boat based on a rider. The riders don't ride/film behind there company's boat a good portion of the time anyway. I never think that "wow, he stuck that trick because he was riding behind a (insert company name here)." That being said, if the industry is going to continue sponsoring riders with boat sponsorships, I do agree that Rathy and Lyman are both talented and have a high enough profile that they would merit a sponsorship. From what I have seen, Keith works pretty hard to keep his sponsors featured in whatever he is doing. Rathy has done the same.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
you know it ain't gonna be 'bu showing up at the door. They are getting amazing free advertising just b/c thats the boat KEITH LYMAN owns.

There's no better inducement than one that comes from an honest opinion by someone who should know, not a paid spokesman. On the other hand he's been trying to sell it for 2 years now.

"When I was in China on the all-American Ping-Pong team, I just loved playing Ping-Pong with my Flex-O-Lite Ping-Pong paddle." which everybody knows isn't true, but Mama said it was just a little white lie, so it wasn't hurting nobody. So anyway, I'm putting all that on gas, ropes, and new nets and a brand-new shrimping boat." - Forrest Gump

(Message edited by kamighazi on January 19, 2010)

(Message edited by kamighazi on January 19, 2010)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-19-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I would bet boat man'f want to see how spring sales numbers are before they load pros up on promo boats.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-19-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Agree with Ben... whatever a rider says about a boat they are sponsored by goes in one ear and out the other. Now a person using a certain boat to train and is not sponsored is going to attract my attention as to why and what makes them choose that boat. For all we know he's a secret Malibu rider and it's brilliant marketing....
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
btw i meant "endorsement"...

... im an idiot, and spell check screwed me
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
instead of 18 ppl arguing over this, somebody should start a thread to get Lyman a boat sponsor.

Clean name: WAKEBOARDERS SUPPORT A BOAT SPONSOR FOR LYMAN

Make the list itself a petition of people supporting Lyman getting a major deal boat sponsor. Keep it at the top of wakeworld until someody steps up to the plate. I think Lyman deserves it and it's good for wakeboarding,
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-20-2010, 4:16 AM Reply   
As much as i like lyman's style, I'm not sure if he deserves a boat sponsor. I understand he dosen't place well in competitions, but it's not like he even puts up web videos or anyrthing for exposure. How would he help the brand benefit. There are ton of great riders who don't have boats given to them for free either. Im gunna have to agree with the guy who said the king of wake needs one first...
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-20-2010, 4:30 AM Reply   
Maybe someone should start a facebook group to get him a boat sponsor. I hear that those work really well for getting stuff done.
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-20-2010, 5:00 AM Reply   
wakeboard2escape.. clearly you havent been to www.keithlyman.com
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-20-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
wakecis, how about you givng him your boat:-) wouldn't that be nice, then he can wakeboard himself tooooo well whatever pro wakeboarders do after there is no more wakeboarding for them to do. I think they should kick up some money and buy one, or get an education and a job an then they can have as many boats as there careers can afford
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-20-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
yea i stopped checking his site when he stopped updating for weeks/months. looks like he's back to it.
Old     (spridle)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-20-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Maybe someone should sponser his IRA or 401k then?

How about a kneebrace sponser?

Lyman rips. There's a reason for everything.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
theres a lot more to sponsorship than just being a kick ass rider. lots of it has to do with appearances, interaction with the community, podium, etc. from what I understand, podiums aside, he is awesome with everything else.

it could be that the Tige incident has wrecked him for a few years. who knows. now is really not the time for boat companies to be throwing free boats out. he definitely is someone that should not be paying for his own boat, but I am sure there is a reason for it.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
If he is ever in socal, I will give him a pull.
Old    justinh            01-20-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Honestly, I don't know if any riders get "free" boats. A few of the best get loaners, but most buy the boat cheap, finance it and sell it at the end of the year for about what they paid for it. I bought a boat recently and I was very surprised to find how difficult financing was. I put half down.

I bet that is a good reason it is tougher for pros to have their own boats.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       01-20-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
Pros/semi-pros that are "Sponsored" by a boat company typically get a boat at cost make payments on it like they are a boat dealer and then hopefully can sell it at the end of the season for at least what is owed. So it is like they are getting the dealer floor plan with the finance company but only one boat.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-20-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
A lot of guys lost their rides last year. This economy sucks for our industry. Lyman and Rathy aren't the only ones without a boat sponsor.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-20-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
there are so many different arguments here.

unless you are a mate im suprised you started a thread regarding this.

to throw this out there... i dont think someone like Lyman actually needs a free boat.... anyone here would be willing to give him a free pull.
Old     (rc005)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-20-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
he should do like murray does with his boards and get a list and ship it around from rider to rider, but instead just have him get a list and do a tour behind other peoples boats who are on that list.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-20-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
"unless your 16 you dont buy a boat unless this guy or that girl are backed by the company" hahaha youve never heard of marketing then. No offense at all please dont be offended by this but Ive seen it first hand and PLENTY of people buy boats becuase the pros back them. Have you ever been to a boat show? Hang out with Zane Shwenk for a week and youll be in an MC in no time. Trust me brotha people buy boats based on who backs them all the time
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-20-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
Rathy and Lyman both shred, but as much as I hate to be a pessimist...in this economy... I can see why they don't have boat sponsors. My prediction is that we'll see others dropped once their contract is up.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-20-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
i heard no one will sponsor lyman because back in his earlier days the dude blew like several transmissions.

but that was then, and he has become such a well-rounded and responsible rider. the dude doesn't even go out and party... just works his ass off to make his career.

(Message edited by adamsilcio on January 20, 2010)
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-20-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
Nope shane, not a mate... errr friend, just a huge fan.

I may be biased because he is my favorite rider, but I have been watching the recent videos of him taking sets and man he makes me want to go ride.

I am not part of the industry, so I am ignorant, but how expensive is it to give a pro (rathy, keith...) a boat for a year and then take it back and sell it?

2010 xstar $80K, give to pro.
one year getting hammered on, overweighted and probably abused.
Dealer takes back, service and details,
In spring 2011 sell boat (with 800+ hours) for approx. $50K (nada low end).

In this poorly researched, but very plausible scenario, Mastercraft spent approx $30k (probably less depending on what factory cost to build is) to have keith lyman representing and riding their product.

I bet oakley spends more than $30k in a year giving keith black t-shirts. i kid, i kid. but seriously.
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       01-20-2010, 11:37 PM Reply   
Mastercraft have reduced the size of their team for this year. Harley was lucky enough to secure a spot with MC.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-21-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
I really dont see most riders, even pros, putting 800 hours on a boat in just a year John.

It would be great if he did have a boat sponsor, but honestly its not going to change his life. He does have it pretty good, living in florida, didnt really have to go to school, lives off wakeboarding, doesnt have a "real" job other than riding, it must be tough making it without a free boat. The boat he does have seems to be doing fine, and I know a lot of people who be more than happy with it.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-21-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
I bought Trevor Hansen's pro model Supra 24v and he managed to put 550 hours on it in a year. I could see 800 being feasible, especially if you live on a lake.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-21-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Lyman doesn't party?
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-21-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Steven - He goes to industry gigs and sponsored events, but he doesn't really go out to bars/clubs/parties. When I met him he admitted to being semi-socially awkward in large groups and that's why he preferred to stay in and hang with friends.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
How do you know he hasn't been offered one and didn't take the offer?
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-21-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Lol why would mastercraft sponsor Rathy. He already rips behind their boats without getting paid. If I was the mastercraft rep i wouldn't sponsor him either. He already shreds behind the PWT boats, and he's constantly churning out SICk videos behind Butler's X star..... why pay for something ur alredy getting for free?
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-21-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Why should supra (Worlds) or nautique (Wake games) or any other manufactor (Mastercraft-PWT) sponsor any riders then? All the pros ride great no matter what boat they are behind. If you go off the idea that since they already rip behind that kind of boat then why would anyone pay for something the "already get for free"
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-21-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
What i have never understood is that typically, if you wakeboard and know about different professional riders, you know the wake boats and all, so why use money to sponsor 2 or 3 more riders like Keith or Rathy when your just marketing towards an already knowledgeable interest group and is already being represented well with fewer riders???

There is no point. I think wake boat manufacturers should cut back on teams and try to expand the market by advertising to a different group that may not be knowledgeable in the wakeboard or boat industries.

I could be wrong, but i think the more people you reach, the more boats you sell. The more boats sold creates more money. More money makes more advertising which may, in turn, create more factory rider positions.Thats what i feel needs to happen in this rebuilding economy.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
riddick, riders want to support companies that support riders.
I used to be really against Nike but seeing what they have been doing with wakeskating by helping guys like Nick Taylor and Andrew Pastura and making an amzing team video I have a lot more respect for that company.

(Message edited by wakemitch on January 21, 2010)
Old    benj_t            01-21-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Mitch, great point.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-21-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Triton should offer Lyman a boat.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-21-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
riddick- not all wakeboard enthuiest (however you spell that) buy wakeboard boats. I come from a wealthy farm community. The majority of people buying boats are rich farmers and dairy men that have private landings on our local river. I used to sell MC's until the economy went under along with the dealer. Most of these guys bought boats for there kids who knew next to nothing of the sport except they liked what they saw in videos and wanted to try it. So pops went out and bought a 70k Xstar. Not to mention when we held contest and brought out pro riders like Murray, Rusty, and a few others, kids and families lined up for the event. These are the guys that helped our dealer sell boats before and after the contest. You have to get outside the box. When you know you want a boat because you see a sport that looks so enjoyable, who are you gunna listen too. A salesman? not all the time. You want to hear about the boat from the pros that shred these things on a day to day basis. Check out watsons facebook. He posted he just got back from a nautique boat show and quote " I think we actually sold some boats". Its the pros that make a huge impact.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-21-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
Mitch, i couldnt agree more. Check mastercraft. they have big name riders, however made some cuts on their teams because of financial issues.

I think they should continue with the team they have, and explore a new marketing scheme when they get back on their feet, which is looking good since they hired 200 more workers and picked up a fishing boat co.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       01-21-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
The way it works for the big guys like Rusty, Danny etc is that they get a boat, and some money. Sometimes it is per month flat, sometimes it is sales based, and sometimes it works like a salary. I know what it is for a few of the guys but I don't know what the average is, but they don't make bank from their boat sponsor. They get a boat. That's a huge deal if it is the full sponsorship program and not the demo/promo buy at cost situation because remember, they're usually getting the top-top boat from that manufacturer except in rare cases. The big earnings are bonuses, clinics and of course the energy drink and sunglasses sponsors. You'd be very surprised what those guys will fork out despite seemingly sponsoring everyone under the Sun except me and you. Also some info has leaked on Shawn Watson getting paid nicely by Liquid Force. There are other board companies that pay well for their long-timers too.

So:
"$$$" - energy in a can
"$$" - sunglasses, sweatshirts
"$$" and sometimes "$ + perks" - board
"$.¢" - boat

(Message edited by juniorhawk on January 21, 2010)
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-21-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Dave, you hit the nail on the head with your first sentence. I agree that the pro's make a difference.

My point is the wakeboat industry's target group should be people without boats.

And dont you think that a kid watching mainstream tv has a slighty higher chance of seeing a Mastercraft advertisement with Rusty or whoever riding compaired to running across a wakeboard movie?? I think so, and they would think how cool it is and how they wanna get into it.
All that from just 1 rider and 1 tv advertisement.

I think a mainstream tv ad isnt cheap, but i was just sayin from a advertising and marketing point of view, i think it would influence a lot more people and get them interested in wakeboarding and boating. Which is probably the boat company's goal anyways.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-22-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
I definetly agree riddick... I think in a time like this manufacturers need to be creative in there marketing. The first step would be for the kid to see Rusty on mainstream TV and not so much a video because obviously if you dont know much about the sport, your not going to go out and buy a wake vid. But that also brings up another concern. Where does the kid take it from there and whats the next step? Maybe telling dad and then they go to a dealer? Or maybe making a trip down to an upcomming boat show in there area. At that point father and son walk into the boat show and whos sitting right there in the MC booth? Rusty freakin Malinoski hahaha. Thats why its important for these pros to be selling and sponsored by the boat companies. Could you imagine the impulse and excitement this kid and father would have?
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-22-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
If only salesman had this impact
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       01-25-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
It really looks like he is going to need one soon as his boat is for sale on onlyinboards.com

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=815442
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-25-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Cody - It would be awesome if you could post some pics and your boat story at Supraboats.com/bbs forums too!
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-25-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Lyman should talk to Red Herring; they're obviously going to be a player in the wake boat market real soon.

That is, or course, if they haven't blown their marketing budget signing Rathy...
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-25-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
WakeMikey, I'm on their and may do that, my username is "iwakeboard"
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       01-26-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Is Lyman sponsored by Nautique? In the new video from thewakeplace.com it has a Nautique get together at Murray's house and he is there.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
I think that is Harfs 230. Murray has a 230 as well, but i am guessing his is down on the dock. I could be wrong.

Lyman has his malibu for sale but I think he is still using it, and in his wake.stokemeter.com interview the other day, he said he still does not have a boat sponsor.