Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old    get_sum            07-04-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I've been shopping for the past couple fo months.. I got serious last couple of weeks. Yesterday GM came out with 0% for 72 months.. I jumped on it.

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2 wheel drive, chrome and towing packages, 5.3L with 6 speed transmission. We'll see how it pulls this afternoon, gonna put in and go down river to watch some fireworks.

The new homemade top. First time I put it up. I think I put it too far back and will be in the way of the tow point on the tower. It's a simple fix. Some of the paint wore off when it was still tacky and putting on the black zip ties.

The little boy (3.5 yrs old) is my first mate and son. He loves the boat. Last outing last week, he actually rode my board with me. It was a blast. He kept saying.. "I'm wakeboardin' Daddy, I'm wakeboardin'."

Here's the obligatory pics:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    get_sum            07-04-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    get_sum            07-04-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ericdizzzle)      Join Date: May 2009       07-04-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
you might have a problem at the launch with the 2wd but good luck with the new toy
Old    get_sum            07-04-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
na.. my 2wd Expedition had no issues. The launch is maybe a 5 degree incline. VERY, VERY level. I've used it on other ramps that were slightly steeper without incident, so I have no worries. Good point though. I've seen some STEEP West coast ramps in pictures.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-04-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Very nice truck!
Old     (cameronb)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-04-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
nice looking truck! its definitely a buyers market

great looking top as well!
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-05-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Nice truck. It looks like you may need to extend your trailer harness a bit.
Old    get_sum            07-05-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
Yeah, it wouldn't stay connected yesterday in turns. I bought a 3 foot, 4 pin extension and it looks plenty long enough now.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-06-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
Luke how did you start with your son, mine is the same age. Does he have his feet on the board or do you just hold him? Can your son swim on his own?
Nice looking truck!!
Old    get_sum            07-06-2009, 3:46 AM Reply   
I had him float in between my legs and hold onto the outside, front part of the handle. His feet would almost touch the board. My arms went under his armpits (at my forearm) and I grab the handle. As we start to go, the board pushes up and his feet can touch. Then when we get up I tell him to grab my legs. He lets go one by one and hooks his arms around my legs. I've crossed the wake and did several surface FS 180's. I've cut moderately and let him bend down and touch the wake. He LOVES it.

CAUTION: THIS WILL WEAR YOU OUT VERY QUICKLY!!! I was dead tired after two short pulls.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2009, 4:33 AM Reply   
Nice truck!

"CAUTION: THIS WILL WEAR YOU OUT VERY QUICKLY!!! I was dead tired after two short pulls."
Yea, buts it's awesome to see the look on their face when you get done!
Old     (mox369)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-12-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Why wouldnt you just go 4 wheel drive and not have to ever worry about where you're launching.
Old    stillstandin            07-12-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
My wife has an 03 suburban 2wd with the 5.3...The 5.3 pulls great, and I have never had an issue at any boat ramp. Nice truck...
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
Why wouldnt you just go 4 wheel drive and not have to ever worry about where you're launching.

I can't answer for the OP, but I can't help but comment. Not everyone uses their boat as an excuse to buy more truck than they need. I've launched and retrieved a fairly heavy boat on a variety of ramps with 2wd. Unless your ramp is made of mud or grass, the need for 4wd is a myth. In fact, depending on configuration the 4wd often takes away from your towing capacity.

Nice rig Luke. 1/2 ton crew cabs are the most useful trucks. You'll love it.
Old    supraguy            07-12-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
nice job on the top
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
that's a nice looking truck. new black trucks are so sick looking. congrats on the purchase.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Nate agreed.

I do like having 4WD but everywhere I launch I have launched before with a 2WD. I also tow without a diesel, can you believe it!?!?!

Luke that is a great looking truck. You will be happy with it even if you ever upgrade to a larger boat.