Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
I am curious as to how much everybody tries new tricks when learning them? I tend to go out and try a trick about 20 times when I ride or untill I land it. Sometimes I wonder if I am trying too hard or too much. I ride 4 or 5 times every week so I end up doing a lot of falling (and a lot of being sore).
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-29-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
I thought you meant your were learning how to a Method, ahahahahahah

For me I really keep trying it until I start to regress. Usually it will be 10 to 20 times, also it really depends what price I am paying for the new trick (the Slam). Eventually my Driver usually tells me to get in the boat, they have my back pretty good, and can tell when the frustration is starting to win over me getting closer to landing.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
yeah probably should have reworded that title... did not think
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
About 3 times in a set. Maybe a few more if I'm getting really close. Throwing it wrong repeatedly can develop the wrong muscle memory not to mention the pounding and injury risk.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
I thought the same thing Nintzel... I was thinking I could get some info on how to better steeze that thing more towards the boat! LOL

Just remember when learning a new trick, there is a point of diminishing returns. If you aren't feeling it, get in the boat. You are like 100 times more likely to land new stuff the 3 or 4th try rather than the 20th try.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-29-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
If it's my boat, until I'm tired enough that I'm afraid I might hurt myself, or cause myself too much frustration. I'm young enough that it usually involves 10-20 times haha. You've got to work for that trick if you really want it.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
As long as you're making progress and are not tired keep going. Maybe throw a few dialed tricks in between. When you get tired stop for sure. My son threw a tired looking scarecrow yesterday and I stopped the boat and told him to get in.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
I usually warm up with my usual tricks, then before I get tired I work on new stuff, 3/4 tries on two or three new tricks.... 10 or so falls later I am spent.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-29-2009, 8:54 PM Reply   
Do you guys try new tricks every time you go out to take a set?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-29-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
it always feels with a new trick that there is a point when u start going backwards, ie u were getting closer and closer than all of a sudden it gets worse and worse. Its at this point I normally give it a rest. Ive hammered myself by pushing on with a trick too much. I dont think there is a set amount of falls, its more kinda a mental thing and of course how badly you're slamming yourself each time.
Old    lessons?            06-30-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Now i am older and my learning curve is much different, but i still apply my learning of new tricks the same. It's a beautiful day my run is going great my confidence is through the roof, i pick a trick with in my skill ability and go for it sometimes bam i will just stick it first try, or really close, but i am so amped i get up and try it another 2-3 times if i am regressing i go back to having fun, work on some grabs and style if i get stoked again i might try again.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-30-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
By Roddyrod (wakeslife) on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 8:54 pm:

EVERY SESSION I try a new trick. I think it super important to get out of your comfort zone evey time you ride or you will never progress.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-30-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Agreed Andy, Although I'm usually courteous to only do that behind my boat. It's important to always be learning, even if it's not adding a 180 to one of your inverts, grab or poke out something differently than before. If i'm not learning something new, the same things get boring.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-30-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
Haven't tried anything new in about 2 months, lol. Actually havent' gotten my hair wet in two months....haha. My body hasn't felt better. IF your serious abtout learning new tricks...buy a tramp. Hands down the best way to save your body.